Novak's NeXt pistol............

This is a discussion on Novak's NeXt pistol............ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading about Novak's newest addition..........it's called the NeXt pistol. http://www.novaksights.com/photo_gallery.htm#announce_ It has a couple of features that are unusual for a 1911, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novak's NeXt pistol............

VIP Member

I was just reading about Novak's newest addition..........it's called the NeXt pistol.

http://www.novaksights.com/photo_gallery.htm#announce_

It has a couple of features that are unusual for a 1911, one of them I like, some of the others I'm a little skeptical of...............

Like:
    New Novak X sight. A fixed rear sight that incorporates a slight step at the front edge. This can enable the user to retract the slide by hooking on the edge of anything.....like a holster edge or belt. This would allow one hand operation of the slide. Not a bad idea if the other hand is otherwise occupied!

Unsure of:
    Novak "Answer", a one piece back strap that does away with the grip safety.

Novak "ThumbSafe System", allows the slide to be retracted while the thumb safety remains on SAFE. Not sure what the question was, but that's their 'answer'.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Call me old fashioned - and I ain't even a total 1911 devotee compared to many - but...

Nope not for me that one. I like a 1911 to feel ''normal'' tho I am sure it may appeal to some.

My old Sistema, which is still close to a Govt A1 - still feels, just great, even if I still hate the front sight
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    I thought the whole point of Novaks was that they are supposed to be "snag free" I like the racking of the slide with the safety still on, that way you can clear the chamber without putting the pistol in a condition to fire. My Colt Mustang and Sig 220 SAO can do it, but I don't think it's "needed."

As for the fixed grip safety, I'm of the opinion that a safety should never be bypassed.

OD*
    Not my cup of tea, but then again, I am a Luddite.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I thought the whole point of Novaks was that they are supposed to be "snag free"(SNIP)
    Some trainers instruct people to do use their sights or other protruding part of the gun to snag against a belt to rack the slide in the event that they lose use of one arm during a fight. Maybe Novak introduced that rear sight for that purpose?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Some trainers instruct people to do use their sights or other protruding part of the gun to snag against a belt to rack the slide in the event that they lose use of one arm during a fight. Maybe Novak introduced that rear sight for that purpose?
    Exactly, but looking at that sight it doesn't look like there's enough there to grab on to for a clearance drill.

Lead Moderator
    I too like the safety on/ slide rack option, but the rest of the options don't really appeal to me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Maybe Novak introduced that rear sight for that purpose?
    That would be my guess, in the one picture, the front of the rear sight appears to be under-cut.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

JD
    Administrator
    Well it does say that the purpose of the new sight IS to perform one handed cycling of the slide....

I just don't see the point of a Novak sight that is supposed to snag, but hey it's thier gimmick they can market it any way they want.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Well it does say that the purpose of the new sight IS to perform one handed cycling of the slide....

I just don't see the point of a Novak sight that is supposed to snag, but hey it's thier gimmick they can market it any way they want.
    I just looked at the pictures, hadn't read the text.

They were fairly clear on that point, weren't they.

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I just looked at the pictures, hadn't read the text.

They were fairly clear on that point, weren't they.
    Yeah, but pictures do speak louder than words.

1943 - 2009
    Novak "ThumbSafe System", allows the slide to be retracted while the thumb safety remains on SAFE. Not sure what the question was, but that's their 'answer'.
    I have a lot of respect for Novak's reputation in the industry but my opinion of the "ThumbSafe System" is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

As Colonel Cooper said, "an ingenious solution to a non-existant problem".

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

hmmm...it's interesting.

As discussed the rear sight is odd as a Novak product. Generally if someone wants a rear sight built for one-handed manipulation they would buy a Heinie or 10-8 style sight. Maybe Novak just wanted a slice of that pie. I suppose it's not so odd after all.

The rest, I don't know. I like the 1911 the way it is. While the BHP certainly proves a grip safety isn't really needed for safe carry, I sort of like it in place.

Still, I'm sure it'll be a nice handgun.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This is actually a feature I really like on my USP. Allowing the safety to remain on while operating the slide means it can be engaged during most administrative gunhandling. It's not something that's really vital (as long as you keep your finger off the trigger), but it does add an extra margin of safety.

Sight-they might as well sell one, everyone else does. Not high on my list of things I need, but I understand why someone would like them.
    ThumbSafe system-it might save a ND or two and would make training a bit easier (I'm all for saving time). It looks surprisingly simple...therefore, if it is so good and so simple, why hasn't it been done before? I'm just skeptical, seems like if you get something you give up something...what, aside from traditional look, are you giving up with this mod?
    Answer-sign me up, if they are IDPA legal. I hate grip safeties, and with the change to the Thumbsafe system, who needs one. The only thing I hate worse are any firing pin block based on a grip safety engagement.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links