Why is the Ruger P345 so unpopular

This is a discussion on Why is the Ruger P345 so unpopular within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've contacted the Bear Claw and ComTac holster companies and were told that they don't have molds for the P345 and because of the very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Ruger P345 so unpopular

Why is the Ruger P345 so unpopular

I've contacted the Bear Claw and ComTac holster companies and were told that they don't have molds for the P345 and because of the very low demand probably never would.
    What's wrong with this model?

2. Remove Ads

I had one, loved it except for one thing. Never could get used to that slim safety; hard for me to use. The gun itself shot great and felt great in my hands. Ended up trading it. Many custom holster makers can make holsters for it and Galco carries some, also.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Ruger doesnt get looked at much for its auto for carry because they are large and clunky

My p90 is a great gun but way to large for what it is

A number of holster makers do indeed have molds for the P345 and other Ruger models. Haugen, for example.

One thing you could do is to track down a gun frame mold that you could purchase yourself. Within the last 8mos or so, someone was selling a number of molds in the classifieds, here. Uncertain whether some make their own or what, but there's got to be a source of gun frame molds. You could pick one up, then be set, regardless of which holster maker you then chose to use. In such cases, you could send the mold and have them use that. "Popularity" would no longer be an issue.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Rodney Dangerfield of .45s

I think the Ruger P345 is like the comedian Rodney Dangerfield, who just "couldn't get no respect". Ruger semiautos have traditionally been viewed as clunky, cheap-looking and too bulky, although they have generally been reliable shooters and fairly priced.

The P345 was Ruger's first attempt a few years ago to design a slimmer .45 carry gun that would be competitive with more popular guns on the market. They came up with a Colt Commander size, single stack .45 with a polymer frame that was not bad and received good reviews. The article from Gunblast linked below is an example.

But the gun has never sold very well, and doesn't get mentioned much on gun chat boards like this one. I think the P345 suffers from being lumped together with the other Ruger semiauto offerings that have a poor reputation for styling.

Ruger P345 review article on Gunblast

Administrator
    I never had any real objection to it.
    I'm content with the 1911 or SIG format & so (for that reason) never considered buying one.
    I would not feel naked (or unprotected) carrying one though - and Rugers are always reliable.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There have been reports of "click, no bang" syndrome with this pistol. The magazine disconnector gets out of whack somehow and interferes with firing. Also, if you dry fire the pistol without the magazine inserted, it WILL break. This is a bad design. None of my pistols break if you dry fire them without the magazine.

I have a P97, which was built before Ruger got scared of lawyers and started putting unnecessary crap like internal locks, loaded chamber indicators and magazine disconnects on their pistols. The P97 is a great pistol, eats anything, and has been 100% reliable for me. It looks a little bulky, but really isn't all that bad. It's got good ergomomics, and is built like a tank. Great house or car gun, and can be CCW in a pinch, with a cover garment and a good holster.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Rugers are sorta like vanilla ice cream; they taste good, but there are so many more interesting flavors out there...
    Rugers are always reliable, over-built, and usually pretty darn accurate. Love their revolvers, have not even looked at their autos;I like wild cherry ice cream!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

The P345 is about the same size and weight as a Colt Light Weight Commander, very accurate, reliable with almost any ammo you can find, and has low profile controls for snag-free draw. Recoil is soft, even with +Ps, and it has a lifetime warranty. It will out-shoot and out-last pistols costing twice as much.

Why isn't this gun more popular? Because sometimes even sheepdogs act like sheep.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Why isn't this gun more popular? Because sometimes even sheepdogs act like sheep.
    Or maybe sheepdogs like pistols that have no issues with firing pins breaking or magazine disconnectors failing?

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I would be happy to give it a fair shake, but I'm not interested in a firearm that has a magazine disconnect.

Administrator
    Well, to be fair to the firearm - there was some early firing pin breakage that was due to repeated dry firing of the pistol without an empty magazine inserted.
    Not sure...but, I believe that problem has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Or maybe sheepdogs like pistols that have no issues with firing pins breaking or magazine disconnectors failing?

Administrator
    Ruger makes some good products, but their semi pistols leave a little to be desired. At the price point offered, they are a good deal, but most folks opt to spend a little more and get a more refined pistol.

Now, dont misunderstand my post. I am a Ruger fan, and have a few in my safe, but I do think there are better options out there for a carry gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The P345 is a great gun. Some just need a little TLC to get them working right out of the box. Mine had a burr on the top of the feed ramp that caused a failure to feed until I smoothed it out. 100% reliable now.

True, the firing pin will be damaged if you dry fire more than a few times without a mag inserted. Some people don't like that, but it doesn't bother me. I like knowing that I can just pop out the mag and the weapon WILL NOT fire, even if I leave one in the pipe. Makes it quick to disable if I need to leave it somewhere. The key lock is very nice for the same reason, plus it's easy to ignore if you don't like it. (The mag safety CAN be removed if you are bothered by it).

As far as carrying it, my understanding is that its about the same size as a commander-sized 1911, so a lot of 1911 holsters work very well for it. So far I've been carrying mine in an old Don Hume IWB for a 92FS that I had lying around. A little tight but it works for now. I've got a generic IWB/OWB slide holster and a belly band on order for it, so we'll see how those work. I've also heard good things about carrying it in a smartcarry, but I think your pants would have to be fairly roomy in the crotch area to get away with that.

Administrator
    It would seem to me that if Ruger has not done it already then a simple switch to a hardened and tempered tool steel firing pin would solve the dry fire w/ the magazine removed problem.
    Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links