New Gun! (well, not quite yet)

This is a discussion on New Gun! (well, not quite yet) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm finally getting decent-sized paychecks with summer in full swing, so I decided it was time for a new carry piece. I've been carrying my ...

Thread: New Gun! (well, not quite yet)

I'm finally getting decent-sized paychecks with summer in full swing, so I decided it was time for a new carry piece. I've been carrying my Taurus 605 since the weather warmed up and while I'm not uncomfortable with the gun, I've been wanted something with a bit more capacity. So, I went on down to Gander Mountain to have a look-see. They had a pair of Beretta 9000Ss, one in 9mm and one in .40, each for about $350 used. I looked at those and thought I had already decided until I held one. Didn't care for the grip at all. Oh, well. Looked at a Taurus PT-140 but wasn't too thrilled with its condition (used - heavily), so I kept on looking. Finally wandered over to the new gun case without much hope (what can I say? I'm a poor college student) and saw that they had a brand new CZ-100 on clearance for $299. It felt nice in my hand, seemed solid, and had some nice features. The trigger was tremendously long, though. Well, I put it on layaway and went home happy. Looked online and found that there is almost NO aftermarket support for that gun (holsters, magazines, etc.) and that loooooooooong heavy trigger kept weighing on my mind. So, I went back a couple days later and looked around again. This time, I checked out a Para-Ordnance Warthog .45 and was very impressed with it, until I checked the $800 price tag. Nice gun, too much money.

Then I looked at a S&W M&P Compact in 9mm.

All I can say is wow. A small, polymer framed pistol that actually feels substantial in my hand. And, I can actually fit all four of my fingers on the grip! It pointed like it was grafted onto my arm and I pretty much fell in love with it. Now, the controls are different from what I'm used to (read: 1911s and similar) but I can get used to that. So, when all was said and done, I switched my layaway to the M&P and walked away a happy man. I'll be even happier when I get my next paycheck and pick that baby up.

VIP Member
    I don't own an M&P personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about them here. Sounds like you made the right choice.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

A lot of people on many different forums seem to love them. There may be a time down the road when I pick one up myself. Congratulations on the (semi-)purchase.

I didn't know you could put guns in layaway at Gander mountain. And yes the 9000s grip is weird, but it is my favorite carry piece. The fat grip fixed my problem of using too much trigger finger. The M&P's seem to be the next big thing since sliced bread, I've often thought about one. Everything I don't like about glocks seems to be "fixed" in the M&P's, make sure to make us a range report.

No waiting period huh?

(sighs)
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
    So, when all was said and done, I switched my layaway to the M&P and walked away a happy man. I'll be even happier when I get my next paycheck and pick that baby up.
    I bet the suspense is killing you. THe M&P is a great platform so you should be happy. While it is definitely younger than Glock and hasn't built up years of sweat and blood, it is getting rave reviews and finding itself in more and more holsters. I have both a fullsize and compact in 9mm and am very happy with them. The trigger in stock form will take some getting use-to and will smooth out over continued use. Or, you could also get a trigger job from one of the well established M&P smiths, like Dan Burwell.

Regardless, you made an excellent choice. I hope the anticipation does not become to great.

I checked out the M&P 9mm's at my local shop recently - VERY NICE! If I wasn't already paying off the G19 an M&P would be sitting in my grubby mitts by now. Love the feel of the grip and the balance of both the fullsize and compact models. You made an excellent choice, be sure to post pics and a review.
    Jack

Links