Sig P220R vs. Commander-size 1911 for carry

This is a discussion on Sig P220R vs. Commander-size 1911 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, As you may have seen in another thread, I'm considering getting a Commander-sized 1911 for concealed carry. I have a full-size SA 1911 ...

View Poll Results: Sig P220R vs. Commander-size 1911 for carry

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sig P220R

27 33.75%
  • Commander-size 1911

53 66.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P220R vs. Commander-size 1911 for carry

Sig P220R vs. Commander-size 1911 for carry

Hi all,

As you may have seen in another thread, I'm considering getting a Commander-sized 1911 for concealed carry. I have a full-size SA 1911 Mil-spec, but it's too big and heavy to carry.

All of my other carry guns (Sig P239R, G19, and S&W 442) are simply point-and-click. Whereas the 1911 would require the additional step of disengaging the thumb safety. While I do have some self-defense shooting training, I have not trained much with a 1911-type pistol for defense purposes. As a result, I am re-thinking my choice in a .45 ACP pistol and now considering a Sig P220R. Both guns seem to be about the same weight-wise, while the Sig is a bit thicker. Both hold the same number of rounds, basically.

Based on my current state of affairs, which pistol would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Remove Ads

Vote for the 1911 option

I have a couple of Sigs, although not the P220R model you mentioned. Mine are a P226 and a P229, which are similar in width and overall size to the P220R. I believe that Sigs are great guns - accurate and reliable - but rather thick for carry purposes compared to some alternatives.

I also have a Kimber Pro CDP with 4 inch barrel and thin grip panels, and when I put it next to a Sig it looks absolutely skinny. The Kimber is much easier to conceal, either IWB or OWB, than the Sigs because it doesn't stick out as far from my body. I also prefer the good single action trigger on every shot with the Kimber, compared to the DA/SA system of the Sigs. I believe my first shot with the Kimber is more accurate than with the Sigs, because of this trigger.

As you point out, you will have to become accustomed to the thumb safety on a 1911, and practice with it until it becomes second nature. But this is not that hard, and can be ingrained in your memory with a couple of weeks of dry fire practice using your holster and the unloaded gun. Here is my Kimber:

I'm a 1911 fan. Hard to beat a well tuned SA trigger for me and I like that thumb safety. Old habit I suppose.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

By the way... I'm 6'3" tall and 205lbs... if that helps.

Chris

I'm placing a vote for the Sig P220. It seems as though you have quite a bit of experience with DAO (G19 and 442) and DA/SA guns (whichever Sig you own as I'm not sure if you made a mistake as there is no P239R. I'm guessing you meant either a P239 or a P229R). You could also look into the P220R Carry (1/2" shorter barrel) or the P220 Compact (similar in size to the P239 or P225). Good luck with your decision.

With practice, there is no "extra step" to disengaging the thumb safety on a 1911. It quickly becomes a very natural part of the draw stroke. The added advantage of the thumb safety is that if you, like most, leave your thumb on top of the safety, it aids in maintaining a higher firing grip and is thusly more accurate.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Both are popular and argueably great guns. While the weight can be about the same- the thin profile of a 1911 conceals much better than the sig 220. I love the 220 but can't comfortably conceal it without a jacket or coat(cold weather.)

On the other hand the Sig IS rock hard reliable and accurate out of the box and it will shoot anything you put in it. So my advice varies on the need to conceal.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

JD
    Administrator

I like both, I've had and still have a few Commander length 1911s and recently acquired a Sig 220R SAO.

Each has it's benefits, the 1911 isn't was wide, but I still think the Sig carries well.

I'll be using specs from a 4" Kimber CDP for the following comparison
    The standard 220 has a 4.4 inch bbl, while the Kimber has a 4..

While it's only a .4 of an inch difference, the Sig has a sight radius of 6.30" while the Kimber has a sight radius of 5.7.

Kimber with alloy frame
    Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 28

Sig 220R with Alloy frame
    Weight w/ mag 31.2 oz

So it's a little heavier, but for a .45 a little weight is good, an all steel Springfield Champion weighs 37ozs. with empty mag, so it's not all that heavy.

The Sig is 5.5" tall while the 1911 is only 5.25" tall, so it's not that much taller either.

Overall length is 7.7 for both, but some of that is the beaver tail on a 1911.

Ammo capacity is the same 7 or 8 rounds pending on magazines.

The Sig is easier to field strip, but if you practice on the 1911 it doesn't take that long, but I won't get any "idiot" scratches on the slide.

I think the biggest difference between the two is the width.

One thing the Sig has going for it over the 1911 is that there are 3 (4 if you count the SRT) different trigger styles, while the 1911 has only two if you count the Para LDA.

The Sig 220 SAOs trigger has more travel but breaks just as clean and crisp.

I find the 1911 to be more "customizable" than the Sig, but to each his own.

I like my Sig, it's been trouble free thus far, I can't say the same for all of my 1911's. I've had a good number of them and only two have given me fits and they were non .45, which is usually not a good idea.

Over all it depends on what your looking for in a gun, but both are a good choice.

I honestly can't vote on this one, for me it's 50/50.

**Edit: Didn't see KyleBCEs post, I can carry the Sig in my Versa Max II with just a simple button up shirt and it hides just as good as my 1911s.

I can't post any side my side pics, my Kimber is in the shop...

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I voted the 1911 commander. Personally, I have a LW commander sized 1911 & prefer the lighter weight. Sigs are nice, but any variation of the 220 seems heavy (30+oz.). A LW 1911 is much lighter, but 2-4 oz. is quite a bit over a long day. Also, thinness matters, especially if you're carrying IWB.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Based on my current state of affairs, which pistol would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Chris
    Based on this alone I would say get a Sig 220 Carry DAK.

It's not as expensive, well I guess it depends on where you shop, and it fits with your current skill set.

You can always train up new skills to deal with the thumb safety, but if your already used to "point and click" I'd stick with it for your carry gun.

While the 220 may be heavier and wider, it's all about the holster.

Like I said, I love my 1911s but I don't suggest them for everybody.

In all honesty I think in the long run I may like carrying the Sig more.

I only suggest the 220 Carry as your specifically talking about a carry gun. I prefer a longer barrel the 220 Carry has a 3.9" bbl, and I refuse to go under 4" for a primary gun.

Comander for sure. I've become very spoiled with the SA or short triggers(XD,Glock ect). Besides for me and my arthritic hands the 1911 would be easier to manage. I do love a Sig 220 though.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

1911 for sure

I have both the P220 and a Commander. The Commander wins hands down for CCW.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

I would have to vote for the Sig 220. Specifically a Sig 220 Carry DAK. I like 1911s but I prefer to not have a manual safety. The DAK trigger system is simply amazing. I wish I could convert my Da/Sa 220 to DAK, but its the thin trigger.

BUt really you can't go wrong either way.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Well, I just went to local pawn shop today and traded a series eighty combat commander for a P220. I guess you know how I voted!
    Now all of my carry guns are same platform, everything works just like everything else. Only thing I can screw up with now is how many rounds I have before I have to reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links