Defensive Carry banner

Big guns

3K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  Rhinoman 
#1 ·
Times being what they are, anymore I carry full size guns. Not "traditional" carry guns.

I went through that. J frames, Shields, P938s, etc...

Now I never needed them, so I cannot and will not disparage them. But times seemed to have changed, rather quickly. I don't feel comfortable with a 5-8 shot smaller carry gun. Although I have been known to run a 1911. But I don't consider a Commander to be a carry gun by today's standards, even though guys have been carrying 1911s forever. Seems like modern "carry" guns are, while excellent, lower capacity and easier to carry. And not nearly as easy to shoot as a 1911.

I have no plans to be in an extended firefight (none do), but when I see what has been going on lately, and see no reason for it to abate, I prefer a fighting gun these days.

My HK USPs are my preference. They are monstrous guns, very big. Fortunately, so am I, and I can carry them and hide them all day long. My USP 45 is good for 12+1 of 45 ACP, and even in the summer I carry it a lot.

The smallest gun I own is an HK P2000sk, 10+1 of 9mm. I'm OK carrying it around the small town in which I live, but any trip to the city is full size USP territory.

Anybody else up gun in the last few years?

See less See more
#30 ·
Yes and no. I often carry two smaller pocket guns. If the threat is potentially higher, I can just add more mags. I've shot these guns at longer than typical range, and while not as easy to hit with as larger guns, it is doable.

#32 ·
I have started carrying reloads religiously, regardless of the gun, for this exact reason. At the least I will have 14 rnds, at most 30... Better than a swift kick in the shin. I have actually considered getting a man bag... Spare gun plus reloads, basic first aid gear, and a place to keep my wallet and such

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I think most of us will admit that we can shoot a larger handgun more accurately than a smaller one. I also like carrying either a 40 or 45. The problem is that I have trouble concealing a full size 40 caliber handgun here in the Florida Heat. My compromise is a Glock 27. Ten rounds of 40 S&W and one reload. I carried a Super Red Hawk 454 when I was hiking in bear country a few years ago.

I may change my mind and switch to a full size pistol if things continue to get weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.