XD40sc vs. Glock 23 - Page 2

XD40sc vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on XD40sc vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handle both and see which feels and points best in YOUR hand. Either gun is a good choice. Glock has tons of aftermarket support, if ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XD40sc vs. Glock 23

Handle both and see which feels and points best in YOUR hand. Either gun is a good choice. Glock has tons of aftermarket support, if that is important to you. If you like a stock gun, if won't matter. XD is sure to have more after market stuff available, as their popularity grows. I like my G 23, plus my 19, 26 & 27. Shot the XD's and like them too. Just liked the Glock better. Try'em and see. I happen to like the finger grooves, but as stated by Glock'em above, he hates them. Everyone has a preference, just their choice, doesn't make it right or wrong for anyone else.

I love the compact glock platform. I just got moved to a different unit and have finally got to trade my issue g22 for a g23. Im not a big fan of .40, but I've been shooting my g23 lately and have no complaints. Now if you were looking at 45, I would suggest the XD, because I haven't liked any 45acp glocks due to their large frame. In fact I own a 45 xd compact and like it almost as much as my glocks. I would suggest the G23, but they are both nice.

I changed out the slide stop and trigger spring on my G23 the other day while sitting behind the wheel of my truck with no tools other than a toothpick and the pin on the backside of my handcuff key.

Try THAT with an XD!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    I am interested in buying a .40 but not sure what brand to go with. I have narrowed it to two xd40sc or glock 23. I need some pros and cons or which would be best for ccw and also target practing. Which is a better weapon and why?
    Get the XD because of the trigger pull

G23
    Glock speaks for itself.

Glock 23, no question. The XD SC .40 is nice, but the Glock is superior for CCW. (Unless you just can't get used to that grip angle)

The XD SC is too big and heavy for what it is, for my use. It's a supposed subcompact that has a grip almost as long as a Glock 23, and the XD SC weighs more and holds less rounds. A Glock 27 is a true subcompact, weighs a whole lot less, holds the same amount of ammo, and can use 13 and 15 round mags.

Weight (w/empty mag)
    Glock 23 = 23.62 oz.
    Glock 27 = 21.75 oz.
    XD SC = 26 oz.

Height
    Glock 23= 5 in.
    Glock 27 = 4.17 in.
    XD SC = 4.75 in.

Capacity
    Glock 23= 13+1
    Glock 27 = 9+1
    XD = 9+1

The grip on the XD feels better, but I honestly don't understand how they made the grip 5.5 inches long (with the extended mag) and only managed to squeeze 12 rounds in the mag. It doesn't seem THAT much thinner than a Glock, only a different angle.

Many people like grip safeties, I don't. I feel that they are unnecessary and may potentially inhibit the firing of the weapon in a life and death struggle. You can't rack the slide on an XD without depressing the grip safety, another big turnoff.

A Glock will NOT fire itself. The trigger must be pulled. I would submit that anyone who is careless enough in their gun handling technique to "bump" the trigger and cause a negligent discharge, will eventually be careless enough to have a negligent discharge despite ANY type of safety. You either give the gun the respect it deserves, or you don't.

Nothing beats the power to weight ratio of the Glock 23. If you like the feel of it, you can't do any better for a .40 caliber CCW defensive pistol at ANY price.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Glock 23, no question. The XD SC .40 is nice, but the Glock is superior for CCW. (Unless you just can't get used to that grip angle)

The XD SC is too big and heavy for what it is, for my use. It's a supposed subcompact that has a grip almost as long as a Glock 23, and the XD SC weighs more and holds less rounds. A Glock 27 is a true subcompact, weighs a whole lot less, holds the same amount of ammo, and can use 13 and 15 round mags.

Weight (w/empty mag)
    Glock = 23.62 oz.
    XD SC = 26 oz.

Height
    Glock = 5 in.
    XD SC = 4.75 in.

Capacity
    Glock = 13+1
    XD = 9+1

The grip on the XD feels better, but I honestly don't understand how they made the grip 5.5 inches long (with the extended mag) and only managed to squeeze 12 rounds in the mag. It doesn't seem THAT much thinner than a Glock, only a different angle.

Many people like grip safeties, I don't. I feel that they are unnecessary and may potentially inhibit the firing of the weapon in a life and death struggle. You can't rack the slide on an XD without depressing the grip safety, another big turnoff.

A Glock will NOT fire itself. The trigger must be pulled. I would submit that anyone who is careless enough in their gun handling technique to "bump" the trigger and cause a negligent discharge, will eventually be careless enough to have a negligent discharge despite ANY type of safety. You either give the gun the respect it deserves, or you don't.

Nothing beats the power to weight ratio of the Glock 23. If you like the feel of it, you can't do any better for a .40 caliber CCW defensive pistol at ANY price.
    I think the G23 is the most balanced weapon there is. I love mine and wouldn't take for it...of course, it's a vintage 2nd Generation gun too...

I thought the biggest difference was in the grip feel and angle. Plus Glocks are double action only and XDs are single action. Personally, I liked the XD and that's what I got. But haven't heard many bad things about either.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

That is a tuff choice. Both are great. I own a 23 and love it. I have shot the XD and would like to add one to my collection some day. You really need to go shot them both and fine what works best for you.

Brian

[QUOTE=Metro 40;391256] ...I would submit that anyone who is careless enough in their gun handling technique to "bump" the trigger and cause a negligent discharge, will eventually be careless enough to have a negligent discharge despite ANY type of safety. You either give the gun the respect it deserves, or you don't.
    QUOTE]

I submit that S_ _ _ happens whether you are careless or not. Try being in a real life gunfight when you feel you will be dead in the next second or two... adrenaline coursing through every cell of your body to such a point that your hands are shaking like your pointing a jackhammer, your knees feel like jello and if you had a drop of moisture in your throat, you'd puke. You are in the middle of a full blown fight or flight body alarm and all you want in the world is to NOT BE THERE RIGHT NOW!

Not meaning any disrespect, just that you seem to be a little harsh in your evaluation other peoples actions. Maybe I misread something in your statement. If so, "my bad."

BTW... Both are great capable guns. I've had a G-23 for 8 years as my tac-team gun and primary ccw gun and a XD9sc I just got saturday for BUG and love it. I carried it that night on patrol with a friend after firing 350 rounds and a good cleaning.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I submit that S_ _ _ happens whether you are careless or not. Try being in a real life gunfight when you feel you will be dead in the next second or two... adrenaline coursing through every cell of your body to such a point that your hands are shaking like your pointing a jackhammer, your knees feel like jello and if you had a drop of moisture in your throat, you'd puke. You are in the middle of a full blown fight or flight body alarm and all you want in the world is to NOT BE THERE RIGHT NOW!

Not meaning any disrespect, just that you seem to be a little harsh in your evaluation other peoples actions. Maybe I misread something in your statement. If so, "my bad."
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about things that happen in the middle of a gunfight. You are absolutely right about ____ happening in a gunfight, that's not what I meant. I was talking about people who buy pistols with all kinds of safety switches, levers, etc...and then expect that to make up for careless gun handling.

I've read a couple of posts on other forums about people leaving guns laying around with the safety on or the magazine out (on a pistol with a disconnector), and later finding their kid with the pistol. They thank God for the safety, magazine disconnect, etc. All I am saying it, you should NOT rely on a mechanical safety to make up for being careless. Many people bash Glocks as being "unsafe." They are no more unsafe than any other quality pistol. People are unsafe, not pistols.

Incidentally, if your hands are shaking like you are pointing a jackhammer, that's an excellent argument against a grip safety. Your grip may not always be perfect, buy you may still desperately need that round to go off to save your life. And that's a great argument for the point and click simplicity of the Glock.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Metro.. I agree with your reply... you are 100% correct regarding safe gun handling and performing your manual of arms!

Also, conscious safe handling skills all the time everytime is also what helps prevent a disaster when the moment of truth comes!

Years of safe gun handling and practice is what will get you through in a gunfight. Your biggest and best safety for a weapon is your brain. Everything else is just a piece of man made mechanics which can break or become faulty.

I don't find the grip safety on the XD to be much of a hinderance. I was weened on a 1911 and was in the Corps prior to the Baretta M9. The good old days! LOL

Still, your point is well taken. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I sold my G23 for the XD 40 service.
    The Service model is similar to the G23
    The XD40SC is comparable to the G27 in size.
    Both a good guns, but I shoot the XD better.

I'd say go with whatever you shoot better but IMHO I'd go with the G23, there are an abundance of after market parts and accs. Good luck with you decision.

They are both great guns. It comes down to which one fits your hand better and which one you like better.

About the only other thing that might come into consideration is the fact that you can get parts for the Glock where as Springfield is pretty stingy with parts for the consumer.

Other than that, it is just your preference.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links