XD40sc vs. Glock 23 - Page 3

XD40sc vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on XD40sc vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't really compare the two guns, as I have no experience with the Springfield XD. But I have owned a Glock 23 for about ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Good experience with Glock 23

I can't really compare the two guns, as I have no experience with the Springfield XD. But I have owned a Glock 23 for about 8 years and believe it is one of the most versatile and useful guns I have.

I bought mine used from a previous owner who had run the gun through Arotek in Washington to hard chrome the slide and add extended slide stop and magazine release, so it is somewhat customized. I have shot it quite a bit at the range, and it has been 100% accurate and reliable. I have carried it in the past, and it conceals very easily. I like the thought of 13+1 rounds of .40 ammo in a 24 ounce gun with no sharp corners. Right now I use it as my bedside gun, as it has night sights.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    I am interested in buying a .40 but not sure what brand to go with. I have narrowed it to two xd40sc or glock 23. I need some pros and cons or which would be best for ccw and also target practing. Which is a better weapon and why?
    They'd probably each serve you well.
    I favor GLOCK above ALL other guns because of the genius simplicity of its design, and its utter reliability and durability.

I don't like over-complexity. You start putting grip safeties onto guns, junk like that, and you have over-complexity. It's a simple fact of life, a simple truth, that the more complex a machine is, the more likely something in it is going to fail and make it useless.

Pogo, that 23 with the chrome slide is one handsome gun!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I changed out the slide stop and trigger spring on my G23 the other day while sitting behind the wheel of my truck with no tools other than a toothpick and the pin on the backside of my handcuff key.

Try THAT with an XD!
    Show me another gun besides a GLOCK that can be taken apart with but ONE tool, by the USER, to the point where there is nothing to the slide but a solid block of metal. Not so much as a rolled pin remains in it.

That's one of the (many) virtues of the GLOCK pistols. Sublime Simplicity.

With the exception of a 1911, my preference will always be for a Glock over any other weapon in the same caliber.

That said, I'm not a fan of the .40. Why not go to the .45GAP in the Glock 38 (roughly same size as the 23), the 19 in 9mm, the 36 in .45ACP, the 32 in .357Sig, or the 30 in .45ACP?
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

I purchased one of each.
    But my EDC is the Glock 23
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    glock 23 hands down.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Don't mind me, but what about the S&W M&P40c? It is in same playing field as the G23 and XD40SC and is 100% USA made.

If you are looking at absolute, hanging by a thread reliability, Glock definitely has the years in it favor. The XD shows very favorable reliabilty as well but is newer. The M&P is pretty much the new-born in this segment.

I have a M&P compact and fullsize, both in 9mm, and really like them. I also have an XD9SC which I like. I have plans in motion to add a Glock to my collection.

Regardless, either the XD40SC or G23 (or the M&P40c) would be fine. As you practice, you will become better and comfortable to the point that accuracy with the opposite won't much matter.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Show me another gun besides a GLOCK that can be taken apart with but ONE tool, by the USER, to the point where there is nothing to the slide but a solid block of metal. Not so much as a rolled pin remains in it.

H&K USPC .40...no tools necessary.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    H&K USPC .40...no tools necessary.
    The USPc field strips without tools, but you definitely need a good set of tools to detail strip it (which is what they're talking about).

Springfield Arms XD. All I need is a 3/32 punch....

It's also all I need to strip the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

Hey Pelosi, Murtha, Ron Paul: "Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged."

Signed: President Abraham Lincoln

XD hands down.

Reasons - 1) As reliable as any gun out there. Met or exceeded all of the Glock's vaunted torture tests.
    2) Better safety system, proven and reliable.
    3) Better grip angle - more natural aim.
    3) Better price.
    4) Lifetime warranty. Glock is not.

The glock is the 2nd best sidearm out there. But the question - why pay more for second best???

:-) Ok, you glock guys, your turn.
    Hey Pelosi, Murtha, Ron Paul: "Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged."

Signed: President Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Judgew7 View Post
    XD hands down.

Reasons - 1) As reliable as any gun out there. Met or exceeded all of the Glock's vaunted torture tests.
    3) Better grip angle - more natural aim.
    3) Better price.
    4) Lifetime warranty. Glock is not.

The glock is the 2nd best sidearm out there. But the question - why pay more for second best???

This is not a "comeback" or anything, but I am curious...how easy is it to get spare parts for an XD? I can order an ENTIRE spare part kit for EVERYTHING that goes inside a Glock pistol (except the barrell) for less than 40 bucks and even take it COMPLETELY apart and put it back together while driving down the highway!

...ok...maybe it was a COMEBACK!

The long and the short of it is thus...I am a Glock owner. I have been for almost 16 years now. The next weapon I buy will actually probably be an XD. They feel so AWESOME in the hand! Something they will ALWAYS have over the Glock, IMO. Another thing to consider is the slides/bore axis on the two pistols. The XD's slide sits up a little higher than the Glocks. IMO, this is good AND bad. It's good because it eliminates those pesky "train tracks" that I have gotten from my Glocks due to too high of a grip. It's bad because it raises the barrell and therefore generates more felt recoil. Now I'm not saying you are recoil sensitive, and I by no means am either - but the simple truth of the matter is - it's there and you CAN feel it. Is the XD as rock solid tuff as the Glock...hhhmmm...I dunno. The jury is still out on that one. But for me? Yeah...I think they're ok. Either one will serve you well.

...oh...and don't rule out other perfect poly pistols like the Hk USP, S&W M&P, Walther/S&W P99 - all awesome weapons as well!

I shoot the Glock better.

How's that for a comeback?

I came pretty close to buying an XD instead of my G21, but besides shooting the Glock better, the XD's grip safety was the biggest negative. When took a force on force class, a lot of very experienced shooters had trouble getting the grip safeties on their airsoft 1911s disengaged , particularly when they were trying to bring the gun into play while going hand to hand. Along with that potential downside, I just don't see how a grip safety actually enhances safety very much. I'm a big advocate for keeping a strong master grip on the weapon whenever I'm manipulating it, which means that the safety is going to be off in the situations where an ND is most likely.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The USPc field strips without tools, but you definitely need a good set of tools to detail strip it (which is what they're talking about).
    Thanks for the clarification.

Rick

Couldn't decide so I bought em all

40XD-SC/Glock30/USP-C 40/SIG P229.

I have issues with "picking only one"
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links