XD40sc vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on XD40sc vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have more experience with Glocks (Have owned 4 different models, but haven't owned a XD, yet). Personally, I'd get a Glock, but I'm more ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: XD40sc vs. Glock 23

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have more experience with Glocks (Have owned 4 different models, but haven't owned a XD, yet).

Personally, I'd get a Glock, but I'm more familiar with them. I don't think you'd go wrong with the XD, either. Most here will probably tell you they're both the 2 top compact .40s (With the possible addition of S&W M&P).

You narrowed it down to 2 good ones. Probably the one that feels the best in your hands while shooting it is probably the one to go for.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

2. Remove Ads

Check out the mag prices out there. I picked up a XD45 Compact the other day, and the mag prices about made me faint compared to the Glocks. All things being equal, I am selling the XD and going with a Glock 30. Now, if someone could just help me improve my shooting the darn things.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Check out the mag prices out there. I picked up a XD45 Compact the other day, and the mag prices about made me faint compared to the Glocks. All things being equal, I am selling the XD and going with a Glock 30. Now, if someone could just help me improve my shooting the darn things.
    The Glock is a great way to go... system flexibility, reliability, parts availability and parts cost, low cost magazines of many capacities, huge aftermarket support of optional parts and services... there's a lot of love about Glocks!

As for shootability, I've found that going with a 3.5# connector (which brings the typical pull down from around 7# to around 4.75#) and using a smooth-faced trigger makes the guns quite shootable. Glocks do take a little getting used to, that's for sure, but I found that with time and shooting experience, the feel and shootability of Glocks becomes very good as you settle in with the gun. And for an ideal combination of potency, capacity, size, and shootability... the Glock 23 is a cold stone winner. 14 rounds on board with std mag, 16 with the extended mag... excellent capacity given it's size. I love my 19 and my 30, but the 23 seems to be the perfect happy medium of excellent potency, high capacity, and minimal size.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    The Glock is a great way to go... system flexibility, reliability, parts availability and parts cost, low cost magazines of many capacities, huge aftermarket support of optional parts and services... there's a lot of love about Glocks!

As for shootability, I've found that going with a 3.5# connector (which brings the typical pull down from around 7# to around 4.75#) and using a smooth-faced trigger makes the guns quite shootable. Glocks do take a little getting used to, that's for sure, but I found that with time and shooting experience, the feel and shootability of Glocks becomes very good as you settle in with the gun. And for an ideal combination of potency, capacity, size, and shootability... the Glock 23 is a cold stone winner. 14 rounds on board with std mag, 16 with the extended mag... excellent capacity given it's size. I love my 19 and my 30, but the 23 seems to be the perfect happy medium of excellent potency, high capacity, and minimal size.
    I will check this out. Nice info.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

I always thought Glocks came standard with a 5 lb. pull, except the tactical models (The longer barrelled ones have about a 3.5 lb., I think). Of course, there's the ones that come with the "New York" trigger, which is approx. a 8 lb. pull. But am I missing something here?

My 21 & 19 were bought as LE models & came with 3 hi-cap mags, but I thought that's a Calif. thing (& some other states that also have draconian gun laws), am I mistaken?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

cl01... as far as I know, *most* Glock models come with around a 7# pull. The 3.5# connector just lowers the pull to around 5# or slightly less. As for mags... most states (except CA, of course) the standard G17 mag is 17-rnd and G19 mag is 15-rnd. Either mag will go in a 19. G23 mag is 13-rnd, but will also take the 15-rnd mag. So the G23 has 14-rounds on tap with standard mag and 16-rounds on tap with the higher cap mag. Great capacity from such a compact package. My G29 and G30 each came with 10-rnd mags as the standard mags, but of course they too will accept higher cap mags from larger models.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Get a Glock. Easier takedown, better finish, longer reliability record, better built gun in my opinion.

Good luck!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    ... and even take it COMPLETELY apart and put it back together while driving down the highway!
    I've seen people doing some crazy stuff while driving, but I've never seen this!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

I had the same issue a while back and I went with the Glock for most of the already stated reasons. Reliability, parts, accesories and simplisity. However I shoot with a couple guys that are XD shooters and they appear to be just as reliable as the Glocks.

The main thing the XD has going for it (in my opinion) is that I feel it was made to convert the 1911 shooter over to tuperware. Almost all of the guys I know that like the XD are 1911 fans and they like that the XD has the familiar Grip Safety and the FEEL of a 1911 style gun.

Either way you will have a great carry gun.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I went with the Taurus pt140 pro. I have shot both the Glock and the XD and I felt that the Pro had a better trigger and a better overall feel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links