XD40sc vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on XD40sc vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in buying a .40 but not sure what brand to go with. I have narrowed it to two xd40sc or glock 23. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: XD40sc vs. Glock 23

Unhappy XD40sc vs. Glock 23

I am interested in buying a .40 but not sure what brand to go with. I have narrowed it to two xd40sc or glock 23. I need some pros and cons or which would be best for ccw and also target practing. Which is a better weapon and why?
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

2. Remove Ads

They're both fine guns and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. So go with whichever one you shoot better. I recently had to decide between the Glock 21 and the XD .45. I rented them and found I shot the Glock better than the XD. That pretty much made the choice for me. Find a range that rents these, or a friend that has one of them and shoot them.

Ohhhh.... that is a tough choice. Both make a fine firearm.

My personal vote would be for the XD. I like the grip better on the XDs and the fact that they have a grip safety. Also it comes with an extended mag with a factory spacer...though you can do the same thing with the glocks with after market parts.

Really I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I've never been happier with a gun than I am with my G23. It is truly perfection. You can get all sorts of after-market barrels, etc., interchangeable magazines, .22 LR conversion kits; tons of possibilities w/ a Glock.

Good question, I've been going back and forth between the XD and Glock in a 9mm. One of my questions is, does the XD have as many holster options as the Glock?

FMC

I was faced with that delima as well. I went with the G23 and glad I did..
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    Good question, I've been going back and forth between the XD and Glock in a 9mm. One of my questions is, does the XD have as many holster options as the Glock?

FMC
    There may not be as many holsters for the XD as there are for the Glock, but there are plenty to choose from. I personally have an XD-40 service and carry it in a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB. I couldn't be happier. Like others have said, you can't go wrong with either gun. XD's have additional safety features that made me feel better as a first time buyer, but Glocks are more customizable if you wish to go that route. The XD's are slowly catching up though. For instance, the 40 cal XD (service, not SC) already has a 9 mm and a 357 SIG conversion barrel available. The XD40sc comes with that awesome extended mag for days when you need to put in heavy practice at the range. I personally am trying to decide now between a XDsc and glock subbie for those days when I'm wearing one of my XL shirts that fit like it's an extra medium :)

Shoot 'em both because they feel different. Glocks hurt my hands. I can shoot my XD all day long and still be able to go home and do needlepoint...err, I mean, frag fools all night long in Tribes :)
    Last edited by gunlock; June 5th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.

I own both the XD40 (4"Service Model in OD Green) and the Glock 23. I think I lean toward the XD-40. I really like how it feels in my hand and the added benefit of the grip safety. I think it will come down to what feels best for you. I use my XD40 or Glock 23 in the Winter for carry, and switch to my Glock 27 for the summer with an IWB Galco Holster.

Whatever you choose you will not go wrong!
    Last edited by TroutBum; June 5th, 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typo's
    Rick

-Springfield XD40 Service OD
    -Sig P229R / Siglite Sights
    -Glock 23
    -Glock 27

VIP Member
    It seems that, at this point, the only real difference (other than purely subjective ones) is that there are more aftermarket parts/spare parts available for the Glock. With the poplularity the XD series seems to be enjoying, that may well change in the future.

I carried a G23 for quite a while, and am convinced that it is one of the finest CCW sidearms ever. The XD seems to fill a very similar role. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in either.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Flip a coin ether way you will win.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I don't know about in your area but around here the XD40sc is in very short supply. I was trying to decide between it and the XD45 compact. Could not get my hands on the 40sc so went with the 45compact. This might be worth checking into and help with your decision
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I faced the same dilemma, but I also added in the SIG P229-40.

I tried them all and found the Glock G23 felt better in my hand, shoot better for me, and was cheaper than the P226-40 which came in second in my testing.

Go out and shoot them both and find out what feels better to you and what shoots better to you. This is the only way you are going to know which one you want.

Have fun choosing!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have a G23c and as said by many others it's very reliable and has loads of aftermarket things available for it. I have a XD compact in layaway and the dealer has it on order. The XD is finding a following of it own and gaining immense popularity and all kinds of new things with this pistol is coming out all the time.

I've carried my G23 for many years...... and love it........ (I also carry a G27)

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I carry the G23, but mine is a second generation. If I had to choose between the XD SC and a 3rd gen Glock 23, I would choose the XD.

I just absolutely HATE the 3rd gen Glocks and those damned finger grooves.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links