Glock 33 9mm Conversion Barrel

This is a discussion on Glock 33 9mm Conversion Barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen (and ladies), Perhaps someone can shed some light on this issue for me. I would like to purchase a Glock 33 (357 Sig), a ...

Thread: Glock 33 9mm Conversion Barrel

Gentlemen (and ladies),
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on this issue for me. I would like to purchase a Glock 33 (357 Sig), a 9mm conversion barrel for it and a couple 9mm magazines. My goal is obviously to have one pistol and two caliber options (yes, it would be good if I could eat my cake too).

I see that there are 9mm conversion barrels available for the 33, but my local shop told me it's a bad idea. Their point is valid, I think, but I would like to make sure. I understand that the 357 is a .40 casing, and therefore is about 1mm larger in diameter than the 9mm. This means that the striker will impact the primer about .5mm off of center, right? If this is true, is it a big deal? Am I asking for a misfire?

I am having a difficult time finding any info about this online. If I have oversimplified this, please be gentle
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I'm really not sure.... Most people I know of get a .40 cal Glock and then go for the .357 sig barrel.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the reply Bark'n. It makes sense to have a 357/.40 pistol, as they are the same size. I wanted to have 9mm as one option because it is a NATO standard and would (IMO) be more available in a SHTF type situation. I was also trying to avoid adding yet another pistol to my collection (which is small compared to most).

I was hoping to hear from some folks that have used a similar setup. The fact that no one has replied is a sign to me that it is rarely done, and therefore not a good idea.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

conversion barrels for your 33

You need to call lonewolf for barrels. I have a 23 and have a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Which is realy the same thing, both the 357 sig case and the 40 are the same but the sig is neck down to a 357. I was told by glock it would not work, 2500 rounds later I have had no misfires or failure to feed. It is much cheaper to practice with and practice is what it is all about. I carry it stoked with 40 but practice with 9mm. I can also shoot lead and do not have to pay for the more expensive jacketed ammo. that is my 2 cents worth

Royalroadie,
    That is the kind of info I am looking for. Thank you for sharing your experience!
    Practice is mostly the reason for me as well, but I also want to have an SHTF inventory of ammo without taking a 2nd mortgage.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

-Herman Melville

i have the 35 .40 S&W competition model and put a KKM 40-9mm conversion barrel in it. I have about 2000 rounds through it that way with no problems. I did get the 9mm extractor and ejector just to make sure i wouldn't have any of those problems though.

I like the way the 9mm barrel is bascally a bull barrel as that adds some more weight inthe front which helps to mitigate even more recoil.

Links