Beginning to really hate Taurus.

This is a discussion on Beginning to really hate Taurus. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the wife/mother in law out to the range today. Both to get more practice, and to have some fun plinking with my savage 22. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Took the wife/mother in law out to the range today. Both to get more practice, and to have some fun plinking with my savage 22.

Well, to make a long story short, My pistol worked fine, plenty of rounds, no issues at all.

The rifle failed to cycle the ammo I always use for it suddenly (probally just dirty, but still annoying since I paid for 2 lanes)

Now, my wifes gun. That is a completly different story. Seems like the catch for the cylinder has decided to stop preforming the simple job of keeping the cylinder where it is supposed to be.

So, thinking it was something minor when we got home, I took it apart to see what was wrong. Do not know if this is always the case, but there seemed to be only 1 stamped metal part in the entire "guts" of the pistol (everything else was stainless) That half a piece was the catch. I say half because it is broke, seems to have sheared off a pin or something and turned my wife's into a nice paperweight.

For the record this is a Taurus 605. 1st pistol I have ever purchased brand new, and the second taurus I have had break on me in the last 2 months or so. I had heard they were hit and miss, but seems like I just keep missing.

6 week repair estimate, with only 5 weeks before the families CC class.

Total survey of all the people who are coming with me to take the class

4 people (me, wife, Father in Law, Mother in Law)

4 different pistols.

1 working pistol, other three off for repairs

Makes you wanna go
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Lead Moderator
    Sorry about your luck. I had my run in w/ taurus too. Probably will never own another.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Holy Cow... That's enough to make someone not buy Taurus again... I've had no experience with them except the mod 85 used in my ccw class. And those were provided by the instructor.

Mod 85's for the revolver portion and Sig .380's for the semi-auto portion. They were ok for that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I own a Taurus revolver model 617 which is a great gun but I was hesitant to buy a Taurus pistol. I had been reading about the 24/7 Pro, spotted one in 45 cal at a gunshop and checked it out. It looked and felt so good in my hand that I went ahead and bought it. I couldn't be happier after putting about 500 rounds through it flawlessly. Great to shoot, easy carry, easy field strip. It's rapidly becoming my main carry. Have ordered a C-TAC for it.

If I was shooting some hot stuff out of the wifes gun I would sorta understand. But im shooting friggin wadcutter 38 specials out of a 357, hard to get lighter than that.

Oh and 1 of the broken guns is a High Point. Nothing really surprising about that one.

Two are taurus. Already told the wife that we will most likely never purchase a taurus again. Sure their warrenty is great, but the best one is one never needed. I mean I really wanted to give them a chance. Oh well. Plus side is that my CZ75 has worked flawlessly nomatter what I have (or others) have done to it.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Administrator
    I'm not really into gun bashing but, I'll only say that I have been finished with Taurus since way back.
    That would be way back when their catastrophic failure rate dwarfed every other firearm that was being produced at the time.

I define a catastrophic failure as a failure that instantly stops the firearm from functioning.

That type of failure is also known as a "Good Guy Dead Out On The Street" failure...such as you just had.

Luckily it happened at the range.

Administrator
    I've said it many times, you save nothing when you buy a cheap gun.
    Guns are largely "you get what you pay for" items with a few exceptions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

See Taurus seems to be one of those companies that no two people can agree on, talk to one and they are the worst guns ever, speak to another and they are one of the best.

I guess their biggest problem could be the quality control aspect of the process.

I do agree with the "get what you pay for" argument, however the cheap prices are quite tempting when your just starting out and have a wife in college. Doesn't mean they will save you money in the end, just that they are quite tempting.

Does go to show why the 500 round "break" in period is important, Her gun broke on about round 350. Well will be starting all over again in about 6 weeks or so.

Yep.. I really feel for ya Bane... I wish you luck with the repairs... I hope that one trip to the shop and then no more problems.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yeah, wife is pretty upset about it. Since its her "baby" Could be worse though. Like qkshooter said, was very lucky it happened at the range.

Administrator
    I hear you on the wife being in college etc., I'm in the same boat.
    Taurus is just one of those things that you are rolling the dice with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Join the club! I bought a 3rd gen PT-145 Pro and it broke on me as well, three times. It came back from the factory each time saying something new was replaced, and in fact they didn't even replace the damn parts they say they did.

Even if they DID replace them, if I had a barrel and other misc parts break within 500 rounds or so, its no gun I wanna keep. Period. Taurus no longer gets my business, though I am guilty of checking out the PT-1911 (however I won't buy one).

I've only bought one Taurus so far, the PT-1911. For what it's worth, it's one of the better 1911's i've fired, even compared to Kimbers and Springfields. Time will tell I suppose, but I'm definitely more than pleased with it right now.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I have a PT-99 that I have owned since 1989, got a truckload of ammo thru it. Just recently replaced all the springs. Never failed to shoot any type of ammo I fed it. Never broke. Last year I bought a 3rd Gen. PT-111. Got over 2000 rds thru it, no problems. I may buy the next Taurus someday, and have to send it in for repair, but the 2 I have are excellent.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

A friend of mine just bought a 24/7 in 9mm to have something close to full size to shoot cheaply. It feels great in the hand, shoots great, and the double strike ability is nice for peace of mind. However, when you chamber a round the trigger won't always set, you have to sometimes put your finger behind it and pop it forward into it's "ready to fire" position. So far it only does it when chambering but I wouldn't want to carry something that didn't always work, no matter how small the issue.
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links