My new purchase!

This is a discussion on My new purchase! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I got my NYS pistol permit, and I just bought my self a S&W 469 from a friend for a great price. I sent ...

Thread: My new purchase!

My new purchase!

Well, I got my NYS pistol permit, and I just bought my self a S&W 469 from a friend for a great price. I sent away for a manual from Smith and Wesson since he didn't have one.

My question is, what kind of ammunition do I buy? I haven't had much time to shop yet, but since this is my first firearm I don't really know what I am shopping for? I know I need 9mm but from what i can tell, there ate a lot of different kinds and a lot of different brands.

I would appreciate any advice or any links to advice you might have.

Thanks!

Lump

2. Remove Ads

You need to buy a few different kinds of hollowpoint / self defense rounds, preferably the higher quality types to test in your gun. I prefer Speer Gold Dots myself. I don't trust any ammo until I have run at least 50 rounds of the same exact type through my pistol flawlessly.

If Gold Dots won't feed right or aren't that accurate, I move on and try something else, such as Winchester Ranger SXT.

As far as full metal jacket goes, any of it should function. Just try and stay away from bulk reloads.

0.02¢,
    -Ryan

The best advice I can give you. If there is a gun store near you that has a range, go there. You can get some instruction. You say this is your first gun? Start there, you can get a lot of info from knowledgeable folks. Have fun and enjoy.

Administrator
    You could safely go with Speer Gold Dot as your first ammo purchase for that firearm.

In all the years I've been shooting Speer I have yet to have a Speer cartridge fail to go Bang.

Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot (if you can find it) is great for self defense.

Also: Remington's 124 grain Golden Saber +P. Also great.

You really need to find out what feeds and functions with 100% reliability in yer new handgun though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good advice already, do try a few different types in case your gun has a preference, sometimes guns fail to feed with one particular hollow point ammo.

As for regular FMJ, I tend to avoid the very cheapest just as it is a bit dirtier and IMO I have had instances where I felt that Wal*Mart Winchester White Box was less accurate than me and the gun were with other ammo.

I like Sellier and Bellot FMJ ammo in 9mm.

Try a few types though, figure on spending about $100 - $200 on ammo at least in the first few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You could safely go with Speer Gold Dot as your first ammo purchase for that firearm.

In all the years I've been shooting Speer I have yet to have a Speer cartridge fail to go Bang.

Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot (if you can find it) is great for self defense.

Also: Remington's 124 grain Golden Saber +P. Also great.

You really need to find out what feeds and functions with 100% reliability in yer new handgun though.
    That's my two favorite loads in 9mm, followed by Federal Hydra-shock and Winchester SXT, all of those in 124gr. +P.
    Jack

Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dots are a proven round in actual shootings.

Midway USA has the available right now. Same Day Shipping $15.99/20 rd box.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=888798

Hornady TAP Personal Defense Rounds 124 gr. JHP will almost certainly cycle without a hiccup and a proven round as well. (they also use special propellants designed for low muzzel flash and slicked up nickel plated cases for smooth feeding) 1110 fps Muzzle; 1030 fps @ 50 yds; 971 fps @ 100 yds. 25 rnd boxes
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Good deal and welcome!

I have Gold Dots in my S&W 3913 LS at the moment, but also sometimes use Golden Saber. I'm not to picky about the brand name of my carry ammo as long as my pistol will feed them reliably. Any good quality name brand will do.

I'm also rather indifferent to +p. Sometimes I use it, most of the time I don't. I feel well protected with most regular non +p loads...........

+ 1 on the Speer Gold Dots, Federal Hydro Shocks and also the Winchester SXT's for defense rounds. Try them and see what works best for you. 124 grns is a good starting point. As for practice ammo ( said this was your first gun, so am I safe to assume you've not shot much in the past , so you'll want to get some experience under your belt, asap) I've used the Winchester FMJ target loads and the Remington target ammo with no problems. Save the defense ammo, use it to test and make sure it will function 100% in your pistol. Get more experience using the target ammo. Doesn't hurt to run a clip or two of the defense loads from time to time, so you maintain your ability to shoot them well and are not so surprised, when you pull the trigger and you experience more recoil. Shooting the defense loads all the time for practice can get expensive. I'd avoid reloads, unless you have full confidence in their source.

Links