Cobra Derringer...opinions?

This is a discussion on Cobra Derringer...opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're set on staying with a traditional derringer format then American Derringer Corp or Bond Arms would be the way to go. But, then ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobra Derringer...opinions?

Administrator
    If you're set on staying with a traditional derringer format then American Derringer Corp or Bond Arms would be the way to go.

But, then you might as well pick your caliber as .38 Spl. over the .22 Mag since they are the same size and just shoot lighter .38 ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you're set on staying with a traditional derringer format then American Derringer Corp or Bond Arms would be the way to go.

But, then you might as well pick your caliber as .38 Spl. over the .22 Mag since they are the same size and just shoot lighter .38 ammo.
    I'd agree with that. the only thing I would add, is that you should get some snap-caps, and do lots of dry-fire. You may decide you want a smith to reshape your hammer, so it will be easier and more positive to cock. It would really stink if you fumble the hammer and shot yourself, or spun the gun out of your hand, when you needed it!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    The Bond Arms derringers may be expensive, heavy and have only 2 shots, but they're a hoot to shoot. I've got a .45/.410 and love it. The .45 Colt part isn't as usefull as the .410 part - you can fire #12 shot all the way up to slug. 25ft patterns range from about 36" for the #12 shot to 6" for the 000 Buck.
    I can't reccomend it as a daily carry gun, nor can I reccomend the long-range target loads in .410, but it's a great close-in defender against all kinds of pests.
    +1 on the Bond Arms 45/410! Possibly the best pocket BUG out there.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Administrator
    Just a Pic and a link to one of the Bond Arms derringer pages.

http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.htm

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just a Pic and a link to one of the Bond Arms derringer pages.

http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.htm
    Bump yourself a few degrees off of this pic and imagine staring down a pair of 3 1/2" barrels loaded with 3" shells holding 5 pellets of #2 buck. A vision is worth a million laws.
    If anyone ever gets a Bond, I reccommend the extended grips. Seems to reduce the muzzle jump and definately helps reduce the hand damage.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I know the Cobra derringer has an horrendous trigger pull. Is the Bond Arms or other high end derringer have hard pulls?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I like many here also have a NAA .22lr. It was my first ever purchase. It is a neat little pistol. I would never sell it. I paid about $200 for it around 12yrs ago. It is built solid. It has a neat little safety feature which allows you to position the hammer between rounds to prevent Accidental discharge. It also came with a leather holster with a metal clip. I am now eyeballing the NAA .22lr Black Widow. Anyone have one? Comments?

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I know the Cobra derringer has an horrendous trigger pull. Is the Bond Arms or other high end derringer have hard pulls?
    It's pretty stiff. Same for the hammer. If you like a hair-trigger, you won't like this one.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Another option is to look for a used High-Standard derringer
    in 22mag.

They are very well made and usually run about $225 at gunshows.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

9MM Cobra Vs NAA 22 Mag

Went to a Gun show Saturday to find a NAA 22mag. I did find one, but opted not to buy it for a couple reasons.
    1) Although I have no doubt the 22 Mag will do some damage if need be, it just looked like a toy or lighter. This only cocerns me if I get distracted and God forbid, was to leave it laying around.
    2)Also, had someone tell me at the show that they had a friend that had a NAA 22 MAG go off in his hand (I suppose accidental discharge, not a faulty product). His hand was tore up pretty bad and needed numerous surgeries.

I did buy a Cobra 2 shot 9MM. It still fits in a my pocket concelled. With a size 3 pocket holster I can put an extra 6 rounds in the pouch.
    It does have a serious kick when I shoot it.

Would I rather have my 7 shot LC9 with me? Sure, but that is not always possible. The LC9 is always close by though. The Cobra will get me out of a jam. Next best thing. I prefer to take the 2 shots of 9MM JHP over 2 shots of 22 MAG JHP, just my choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links