I Think My Wife Has Finally Found Her Pistol

This is a discussion on I Think My Wife Has Finally Found Her Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has fought a battle to find the pistol that is right for her. I won't go through the whole list, but it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think My Wife Has Finally Found Her Pistol

VIP Member

I Think My Wife Has Finally Found Her Pistol

My wife has fought a battle to find the pistol that is right for her. I won't go through the whole list, but it is extensive. The last one she bought was a Glock 27.

We thought for a while that she would stick with that, but the more she used it she began to have some problems. She decided that she does not like the .40 S&W. I feel the same way. There is something about the recoil that is uncomfortable to both of us. She also started to develop a blister from the trigger guard riding on her middle finger. So it was back to looking.

Last month at a gun show she saw the Kahr CW9 and handled it. She was impressed with how comfortable it felt in her hand. We decided that we would see if anyone we knew had one that she could shoot. Last week I was talking to a detective here in our little town and found out that he had bought a CW9 in April. I asked if Leah could shoot it sometime and he said sure. We kept talking and I mentioned that she had the G27. He asked if she was going to keep it if she bought a Kahr and I told him no. He said that if she liked the Kahr maybe we could work a trade. We arranged for her to shoot the Kahr last Thursday afternoon.

Murphy got into the act last Thursday. He got delayed at work with some paperwork and was almost 2 hours late getting off. He then had to make a trip to a nearby town. By the time he could get back it was early evening and we had a dinner guest coming. I asked if she could shoot it later in the evening and he said yes. By the time our guest left and we could get to the unlighted police range it was 9:30 PM. I took a silhouette target and we set it up. Leah loaded a mag with 7 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm and I stepped off about 24' (because I stretched a little it was probably at least 25'). Gene (the detective) and I stood about 10' on either side of Leah and put our flashlights on the target. He had a Maglight and I had my little PentagOn Light.

I figured that she would tell us that one had to get closer to her so she could see the sights, but instead the first round when down range. Leah is firing a pistol that is unfamiliar, in the dark at a target illuminated by two flashlights. Here are the results.

There are seven holes: 3 above the A, 2 below and 2 touching each other at the end of the right leg of the A. I asked if she could see the dot on the front sight. She said she didn't look for it. She said that she knew that when the blade of the front sight filled the opening of the back sight she was on target.

Anyway she traded her Glock 27 for the Kahr with 2 mags. Here is her new carry pistol.

She got to shoot it some more last Saturday and is really comfortable with it. She wants something to soften the grip, so I ordered her an A-Grip for it. She will put another 100 or so rounds through it Sunday. I'm sure she will improve her shooting over the flashlight shoot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Good shooting!!

I'm glad she found the gun that's right for her. It is a journey, that's for sure!

Assistant Administrator
    At last George - does seem she has the ideal. Boy can that lady of yours shoot
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Any idea what the trigger pull weight is on the CW9?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing completes a couple in love like two guns...one for each...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    I don't have any idea. There are several others here who have the CW9 maybe one of them knows.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Your wife reminds me of mine. When we shoot together I gotta stay on my toes or she kicks my butt! By the way my wife loves the Kahr's too.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Lead Moderator
    Very good. Having a gun that naturally fits is a great thing. Great shooting too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post

My Brownell’s trigger scale reports that the CW9 requires 7 pounds of pull weight to fire, as do other Kahr models.
    LINK

VIP Member
    Thanks, 0.02.
    George

Not to get off subject, but a way I've always measured my trigger pull is easy if you have the stuff.

Get a vice or a simple set of clamps and some rags for padding. Lock the weapon in with the trigger pointing up. Of course, make sure it is unloaded and if you desire, has your choice of Snap-Cap in it.

Loop a string around the trigger and through the handle of an empty milk jug, tie it, and let the jug hang in the air. Slowly fill it with water until the trigger starts to pull, then carefully fill it slower and slower until the trigger clicks.. now weigh the jug.

I don't know how accurate this method is, but it comes pretty close to specs I read on websites. This is great if you have just done your own 'smithing such as a polish job or springs. My Savage 93R17 got a home-brew trigger job that I got on the Savage forum and I was able to get the trigger down to a 2LB pull. Thanks to the water jug method, I know exactly how much of a difference is made with each modification I do.

Thanks for the link!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    Not to get off subject, but a way I've always measured my trigger pull is easy if you have the stuff.

Get a vice or a simple set of clamps and some rags for padding. Lock the weapon in with the trigger pointing up. Of course, make sure it is unloaded and if you desire, has your choice of Snap-Cap in it.

Loop a string around the trigger and through the handle of an empty milk jug, tie it, and let the jug hang in the air. Slowly fill it with water until the trigger starts to pull, then carefully fill it slower and slower until the trigger clicks.. now weigh the jug.

I don't know how accurate this method is, but it comes pretty close to specs I read on websites. This is great if you have just done your own 'smithing such as a polish job or springs. My Savage 93R17 got a home-brew trigger job that I got on the Savage forum and I was able to get the trigger down to a 2LB pull. Thanks to the water jug method, I know exactly how much of a difference is made with each modification I do.
    That's pretty interesting. Might give it a try.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

George....

Congrats to your wife... Great gun and great shooting!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

cw9 is a beutiful and very nice shooting weapon. she will love it and i bet you wont be able to pry it from her hands...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links