Smith 642

Smith 642

This is a discussion on Smith 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Smith 642, I'll be carrying Speer gold dot 135gr, can anyone recommend a cheap practice ammo? this is my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Smith 642

  1. #1
    Member Array Dolphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    239

    Smith 642

    I just picked up a Smith 642, I'll be carrying Speer gold dot 135gr, can anyone recommend a cheap practice ammo? this is my first revolver and I'm not up to speed on 38 ammo, prices, etc.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    902
    Winchester white box 130gr FMJ from wally world. 100 round value packs are reasonable and works fine. I carry the Speer ammo too, great stuff and easy to shoot. For fun try out the old school 158gr LSWC HP. Congrats on your J frame…your going to love it.

  3. #3
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,360
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Winchester white box 130gr FMJ from wally world. 100 round value packs are reasonable and works fine. I carry the Speer ammo too, great stuff and easy to shoot. For fun try out the old school 158gr LSWC HP. Congrats on your J frame…your going to love it.
    I agree, go with the white box.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array semperfi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Over here now!
    Posts
    3,617
    Me three!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

  5. #5
    Member Array Dolphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    239

    Thanks

    Thanks I'll go with the white box. Also, I found the Speer gold dot 135gr- 250 rds for $65+$12 shipping is this a good price?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array sheepdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    695
    I bought some mild hollow base wadcutter loads target type commercial reloads at a gun show. It is fun to shoot the gun with something that mild for practice, I don't like to use full loads all the time. Be aware that full wadcutters and speedloaders are not the best match-up, though, tough to line up 5 at once.
    What Would Gumby Do?

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    The only practice ammo I've ever shot in my 642 and my 40 is the Winchester value pack from Walmart. I get the 38's for about $23.00.
    Never had as much as a hiccup. I have'nt found any cheaper ammo either.
    I luv my 642.

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    The only practice ammo I've ever shot in my 642 and my 40 is the Winchester value pack from Walmart. I get the 38's for about $23.00.
    Never had as much as a hiccup. I have'nt found any cheaper ammo either.
    I luv my 642.
    Well I spoke too soon. Just came back from Walmart. All ammo went up $2.00.. The 38 ammo is now $21.88 ( 100 pack ).....

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,123
    So have you bought some WWB yet?

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Well I spoke too soon. Just came back from Walmart. All ammo went up $2.00.. The 38 ammo is now $21.88 ( 100 pack ).....
    Correction, that is for the 40 ammo, the 38 is up to $25.47 ... My bad

  11. #11
    Mo
    Mo is offline
    Member Array Mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    247
    Get the Black Hills Remanufactured 148 gr wadcutters from MidwayUSA! Less than $14 for 50, mild as heck and accurate as any target load! My bobbed 637 gets a box of the wadcutters followed by 1/2 box of Speer GDSB 135 gr +p every time I take it out. That wadcutter load is crazy mild through the airweights - so much so that I've thought about carrying the cylinder full of it with the Speer as a backup. You can get fast as heck follow-ups right on target, even double-action, with those wadcutters. You won't be disappointed!

  12. #12
    Member Array jackofspades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Correction, that is for the 40 ammo, the 38 is up to $25.47 ... My bad
    Ouch..maybe I should have bought more then one box of .40 last time I was there.. although, even going up 2 bucks, its still cheaper then most everywhere else.

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Get the Black Hills Remanufactured 148 gr wadcutters from MidwayUSA! Less than $14 for 50, mild as heck and accurate as any target load! My bobbed 637 gets a box of the wadcutters followed by 1/2 box of Speer GDSB 135 gr +p every time I take it out. That wadcutter load is crazy mild through the airweights - so much so that I've thought about carrying the cylinder full of it with the Speer as a backup. You can get fast as heck follow-ups right on target, even double-action, with those wadcutters. You won't be disappointed!
    Thats more expensive than Walmart

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,443
    Well looks like we all shop at the same place. I shoot the white box as well. Also carry the Speer +P's.

    I found that the stock rubber grips would grab my shirt when carrying OWB so I swapped them out for some wood grips I found at a gun show. This setup works well for me.

    Good luck and enjoy your new 642. I love mine.

    Pics of it here.

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht=642+holster
    Last edited by BIG E; June 9th, 2007 at 12:42 AM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

    -- Theodore Roosevelt --

  15. #15
    Mo
    Mo is offline
    Member Array Mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Thats more expensive than Walmart
    Yeah, but they shoot so well - I can't believe how accurate they are out of a <2" barrel. Recoil is much more mild than anything from Walmart as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Smith PPC?
    By rangerman2003 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
  2. 59 series smith mags in a 6906 smith
    By coronel in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
  3. New Smith 637 .38 +p
    By simon in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: September 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
  4. New Smith 442
    By AgentX in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
  5. Smith 696
    By Geezer in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: May 13th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Search tags for this page

smith 642

,

smith 642 carry

,

the 642 club

Click on a term to search for related topics.