New (to me) snubby... my first wheelgun

This is a discussion on New (to me) snubby... my first wheelgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was originally very sad and empathetic when I heard from a co-worker that his relative had committed suicide over the weekend. I've been through ...

Thread: New (to me) snubby... my first wheelgun

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

New (to me) snubby... my first wheelgun

I was originally very sad and empathetic when I heard from a co-worker that his relative had committed suicide over the weekend. I've been through the same thing, about 6 years back. It turns out that my co-worker kept a .38 in the nightstand, and he and his wife were no longer comfortable having it around. He asked me what I'd recommend, and I suggested he could sell it to a gun store or pawn shop. He then asked me if I would like it, and I of course said sure. He explained that he'd much rather see someone have it that would actually use it, rather than getting the $100 or so that he would from a shop.

It's an older, Interarms imported Rossi 5 shot .38 with a 2" barrel. It's blued, and looks to have seen some abuse, either knocked around the floor of a truck, or was dropped on a parking lot, or something... the finish leaves much to be desired. It locks up nice and tight, though, and the timing seems right. I'll test it out next Friday when jdlv4_0 is in town and we're at the range.

I took it home today, cleaned 'er up, and have dry fired it about 300 times. I've got one word to describe the trigger - HEAVY. My P-3AT trigger is a featherweight compared to this! Single action breaks nice and crisp, and double action is still smooth... it just hurts.

2. Remove Ads

Cool, the first handgun I bought when I turned 21 was a Rossi 461. It hasn't missed a step. Let us know how that one shoots, especially in SA you would be surprised with the accuracy you can get from a snubby.

Sorry to hear about the co-worker's relative, thats rough.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I also got one of the snub nose Rossi 461's just the other night... I've heard comments ranging from "You'd be better off throwing it at the BG than firing at him" to "Excellent gun, never any problems, reliable carry piece" until it proves me wrong it has been fun to shoot, easy to toss in the console of my truck, slips in a pocket quite nicely, and not have to worry about scratching it up. I have heard that the earlier models were better made, but that's just something I saw on a forum
    Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

VIP Member
    Keep it for an emergency

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Rossi gets some bad press from some folks, but I have a Rossi .357 -2" SS that does just fine. Change the hammer spring out with one from Wolff and that will make a worlds of difference with the trigger pull. And don't worry you shouldn't need to throw it at a bad guy unless it's several of them. I bet you'll be surprised at how it shoots.

Congrats on the wheelie.

I have had two of those. The first I made a bad trade for a Remington 870 which i didn't like and ended up getting rid of. Wish I would have kept the Rossi.

The other I gave to my sister about two months ago. (glad I did cause her ex sold her 38ti snubby while they were fetting divorced: scumbag)

They are nice little pistols. Not +p rated though, so stick with regular pressure loads.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Animalkracker

I've got the Rossi 357 SS Snub too. The DA trigger pull is a real booger. Which Wolf spring did you use, I'd love to change mine out?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryARK View Post
    I've got the Rossi 357 SS Snub too. The DA trigger pull is a real booger. Which Wolf spring did you use, I'd love to change mine out?
    I had the smith get it, so I can't really say.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryARK View Post
    I don't know which spring he used, it might have even been one for a Taurus.

Nice little revolver. I would not mind finding a SS 357 snubby by Rossi.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    Rossi has been making firearms for at least 100 years.
    Folks love to beat up on Rossi revolvers but, they work and serve their intended purpose. They are decently well put together.
    They for sure are not super deluxe firearms but, there is nothing wrong with the steel that Rossi uses and a Rossi wheel gun will save your hide as well as a S&W but, you are correct the DA trigger pull is abnormally heavy.
    I personally could not live with a DA trigger pull that was that heavy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I tried to fix my Rossi Trigger pull in DA and butched it up, it's smoother in DA but too sensitive in SA.

Word of warning don't mess with it, since I "broke" mine I'll try to post a fix if I find one.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

No problems with my rossi.

Elitists and collectors will snub their noses at it, saying "it'll break on the first shot"... but i've put about 5k rounds through mine with only 2 misfires, and both were OBVIOUSLY ammo-related.

I'd trust it.

I have the 2" stainless in .357 mag with about 1000 rounds no problems it is my summer carry weapon.

Congrats...

Sounds like a nice find...if it seems to function well, you can always have it reconditioned...then it would look like new...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links