Kahr pm9 vs. Kel Tec PF-9 vs. Kel P-11?

This is a discussion on Kahr pm9 vs. Kel Tec PF-9 vs. Kel P-11? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently purchased a P-3at for a summer/joggers gun and it's been great little gun so far and fills a niche with our cc. ...

Thread: Kahr pm9 vs. Kel Tec PF-9 vs. Kel P-11?

Kahr pm9 vs. Kel Tec PF-9 vs. Kel P-11?

I have recently purchased a P-3at for a summer/joggers gun and it's been great little gun so far and fills a niche with our cc.

I still have a desire for a compact 9mm that's lighter and thinner than my G26 for pocket carry in business attire and lighter summer clothing. The only three that meet my criteria, (under 6"L, under 4.5"H, under 1"W, under 16oz) is the pm9, pf9, and
    p11. I had a pm9 a year ago and had some problems and traded it away... I have read about many others having problems, yet that gun is the PERFECT carry size and weight for what I want. I wonder if Kahr has solved some of those problems in the last year. I have read mixed reviews on the Kel Tec 9mms, 1st generation problems, low quality parts and engineering, unreliable. Which one would you buy?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I have recently purchased a P-3at for a summer/joggers gun and it's been great little gun so far and fills a niche with our cc.

I still have a desire for a compact 9mm that's lighter and thinner than my G26 for pocket carry in business attire and lighter summer clothing. The only three that meet my criteria, (under 6"L, under 4.5"H, under 1"W, under 16oz) is the pm9, pf9, and
    p11. I had a pm9 a year ago and had some problems and traded it away... I have read about many others having problems, yet that gun is the PERFECT carry size and weight for what I want. I wonder if Kahr has solved some of those problems in the last year. I have read mixed reviews on the Kel Tec 9mms, 1st generation problems, low quality parts and engineering, unreliable. Which one would you buy?
    I have a PM9. I bought it in December 06. The gun is perfect.
    I did have to learn a trick to quarantee it is 100% reliable.
    If you lock the slide open, load your magazine, then drop the slide with the release, it has not had any problems loading any ammo.

It is the perfect size gun. I carry it daily. Give another Kahr a try. I think you will like it.

I have had 0 problems with my P-11. It's great to carry, small and light weight. I have been looking at the Kahr's and I will probably pick one up one day. From what I have heard the Kahr's have a little nicer trigger than the P-11. The P-11 is a 8.5lb whereas the Kahr's are 7lb I beleive. As far as the PF-9 goes I beleive they tried to make the trigger more like the P3AT trigger at about 6lbs or so. My only other thought is that the PF-9 is a 7+1 the Kahr is 6+1 and the P-11 is a possible 12+1 with the flush baseplate mags they offer.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If price is not a major problem, then go for the Kahr. I have a P9, and would not want to give it up.
    Jerry

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Kahr had some problems early on from a variety of sources ( some in house and some the fault of suppliers ) , no one can dispute that . From what i have seen and read tho PM9s with serials that start with vb and later are reliable as a subcompact 9 can be . I know mine has not bobbled after the break in rounds and had minimal problems during breakin . I read some good things about the pf9 and if your objection to the p11 is the girth of the gun the pf may well be an affordable alternative, tho it is larger than the kahr otherwise. The p11 is well the p11 folks seem to love them or absolutely abhor them with little middle ground . In summation i would say find a shop that stocks ( or a gun show with ) both kel-tec and kahr and do the old pocket test to see just which one fits your needs the best.

Since i own Two 9mm Kahrs my preferences are apparent lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My CCW

I have a Kel-Tec P11 and do not have any problems with it except for the stout trigger pull. After many rounds of practice, I am used to it now. This is not a target pistol so the trigger pull is not an issue for me.

I have an ArmaLaser on my P-11 and use a SmartCarry holster. I have to wear a business suit everyday and cannot take a chance with anyone seeing my pistol. The SmartCarry is a good compromise. It is comfortable and I can draw pretty quick both standing and sitting. And no, you cannot shoot the family jewels with the pistol in this position.

Stuart
    Dog

I've had a PM9 for 6 months now. Works great, ***** on the hand though when shooting over 50 rnds. I call it Kahr thumb. Kahr does not recomend using the sling shot method to chamber a round. I do it all the time without a problem. A friend of mine has one and his jams everytime he uses the method. If he uses the slide release its reliable.

Jim

I just went to the range with my PM9 and put an additional 200 rounds through it. This makes approx. 600 rounds to date. So far my FTE/FTF rate equals 0.

Can't help you with the P-11 as I don't have one of those. Here are links to my reports on the other two:

Kel-Tec PF-9

Kahr PM-9 (first report)

Kahr PM-9 (second report)

Though I haven't posted any further reports, I now have a little better than 400 rounds through the Kahr and have not had a single malfunction. It remains reliable and is very accurate, not only for a gun this size but for a carry gun of any size.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Have you looked at the Kahr CW9, just bought one for my wife yesterday, she put 50 rounds though it with a couple FTE, but you have to break it in a bit, she had none after a few mags went though it. Its a great gun, good reviews, light, small, DAO 8lb pull. Its has a bit of a snap, but you have to expect that from a light gun, my wife is tiny, only 105 pounds and she never shot a handgun prior to this, she put every one of those 50 rounds into a paper plate at 15 yards, standing and sitting!!! A lot better then I did my first time! Paid 400 at a gun show.

Thanks everyone for the info.
    Scott, I have looked at the CW9 and wondered if it would be a more reliable than the pm9. The problem with the CW9 is the height at
    4.5", which makes it difficult for pocket carry.

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

The Kahr PM9 is actually 1.1" wide, the Kel-Tec P-11 is 1.3" wide, and The Kel-Tec PF-9 is .98" wide.

The Kahr PM9 (6+1) and Kel-Tec PF-9 (7+1) are thinner (single stack) and would conceal easier and carry more comfortably than the Kel-Tec P-11 (10+1) which is double stack.

The Kel-Tec P-11 has a heavy trigger that takes getting used to. Both of the others have better triggers.

I believe past reliability issues with the both the PM9 and the PF-9 have been resolved in the newer ones.

If you haven't seen it already this chart has good comparisons to all readily available pocket pistols:
    http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Links