Why do 1911s cost so much?

This is a discussion on Why do 1911s cost so much? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; one way i've come to look at it is, if i'm in a defensive shooting, justifiable or not, there's a good chance my firearm will ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911s cost so much?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    one way i've come to look at it is, if i'm in a defensive shooting, justifiable or not, there's a good chance my firearm will be confiscated for a period of time. would i rather it be a $400 glock or a $1000+ custom 1911? for me, that's only a fleeting question.
    This pops up from time to time and frankly is not part of how i decide what i will use as a defensive tool . If it were most likely i would be armed with a $24 estwing framing hammer .

Carry the tool you are confident in cost be dammed , after all no matter what it is it becomes priceless when it saves your life .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

1911s are like Harley Davidsons - Beautiful, expensive and ALWAYS needing work done on them!

I think the most BEAUTIFUL weapon in exsistence is a Smith & Wesson revolver. Coming in at a VERY CLOSE second place, is the 1911. Does the looks alone of a gorgeous weapon save your hyde in a gunfight? Of course not. But, IMO, that's all a 1911 offers - BEAUTY! They are not reliable enough for EDC and self defense. Besides...I couldn't stand to tote that boat anchor around on my hip all day long! I've heard alot of guys say that they like the reassuring "heft" of a 1911...what a crock...I say screw that heavy S.O.B.!

I'ts funny how you see more and more polymer weapons hitting the market, huh? There must be SOMETHING good about a plastic pistol...

Ergonomics are a factor that hasn't been hit on. My 1911's feel right for me. It's as much personal preference as anything.
    As far as the round count goes I'm getting more with the 1911 than I did with a revolver, additionally it comes to aim better and faster for me. I don't like the feel of a double stack grip, nor do I feel they conceal as well. To each their own.

Round count means NOTHING! If you as an armed civilian need more than 6 or 8 rounds to stop an assailant - you've lost already! I don't carry a Glock because of the round count. 15 rounds at my disposal are a double edged sword, IMO. I as a police officer MIGHT need 15 rounds someday...but then again...I am responsible FOR ALL 15 ROUNDS! If I fire 15 rounds at a BG and hit him 4 or 5 times - where are the other 10 - 11 rounds? Now I'm getting off track here, but like dls56 said, I too think the 1911 has an AWESOME grip, and 7 or 8 rounds is sufficient.

But I still love my plastic!

We all spend our $$$ on various daily life items in a way others do not understand. My wife's glass cutter for $400...WHAT?...or my last Kimber for $1,100...What?

I just bought a $300 ASP watch with Trij sights (so to speak)...glows all night and needs no light to make it happen. It doesn't keep time any better than a $30 Timex, but I really like the watch.

For the true gun lovers, a $1000, $2000, or a $3000 1911 is well worth it...is there a reason that a $3000 pistol would be any more dependable than a $500 pistol?...probably not...but that's a minimal reason to buy or not...

Forget the price tag...why would anyone need/want 50 pistols?...because they love guns. Some women have hundreds of pairs of shoes, some guys have car collections, baseball cards, etc.

Let's face it guys (and gals), I have yet to see a U-Haul behind ANY hearse...

Live well, help others, remember your Father, treat all with the respect they sometimes do not deserve (this does not include defending yourself and family from BG's...to the death), and enjoy life...

Stay armed...with that expensive Kimber or Les Baer...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well said! If I had an extra $2,300 lying around - I would buy the Ed Brown Sheriff Jim Wilson 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    one way i've come to look at it is, if i'm in a defensive shooting, justifiable or not, there's a good chance my firearm will be confiscated for a period of time. would i rather it be a $400 glock or a $1000+ custom 1911? for me, that's only a fleeting question.
    what about the other view: if one feels more comfortable shooting a 1911 that costs more then tupperware, wouldn't the 1911 be a better carry gun? In the end it's not really about the money but rather about what feels better to the shooter as his and potentially others' life depends on it.

whw
    I think it is a combination of some extra work and a lot of "marketing".

lets look at it this way: how much does an H&K cost? How much does a Kimber 1911 cost, how much does the S&W M&P cost, how much does the SA 1911 cost, how much does the XD cost, how much does the Glock cost?
    Kimbers, S&W M&P and H&K are more or less in the same price bracket.
    XD and Glock are in the same price bracket.
    The SA 1911 exists in both the XD/Glock as well as the KImber, S&W and H&K bracket (depending on the model).

So cost here really is not part of the game. On the other hand you have the hand crafted 1911's that do cost an arm and a leg. But there you're dealing with a rolls royce vs ford scenario. Both get you places but one gets you in style..... if someone chooses to drive as their daily driver on the freeway a rolls, it's their choice. They don't do it cause it's better then anything else, they do it cause they like it. So... if they like it, and they're willing to spend the $... what's the big deal? Again it all comes down to personal choice. I have tupperware and a 1911 on my ccw. I usually carry the 1911 cause I feel more comfortable when shooting it. Has nothing to do with heft (though if need be I can beat the crap out of someone with it due to it's heft :D ) but it rather has to do with how the gun feels while shooting: trigger pull, the ergonomics and so on.

Administrator
    I think that many of the older shooters and gunners that grew up during the heyday of 1911 customization are more willing to spend the big bucks on one than the younger gunners that started making their first handgun "carry choices" in the higher capacity "higher Tech" polymer gun era.

I started carrying a Colt .45 back when there were hardly any accessory or aftermarket parts available and if a shooter wanted an extended thumb safety he pretty much had to grind up an original factory part and silver braze on an extension. Alright well, maybe not quite THAT early but almost.

So I am used to carrying a .45. I like the 1911 for it's naturally point-ability and "in hand" feel.
    I shoot it very well.
    All of mine are accurate and they function reliably.
    I am practiced and I am able to "swap out" magazines quickly and so "in gun" magazine capacity is not a real concern for me.
    If it was I would carry an extended spare 11 round magazine.
    So I grew up with a keen and intimate appreciation of the 1911 pistols as an ultra reliable large bore self defensive firearm format.
    I appreciate their timeless design.
    I appreciate the unique ergonomics.
    So I personally see no need to move on to something else or to a different caliber.
    The .45acp cartridge will accomplish what I expect it to do if I do my part.
    I can understand how younger shooters would view the pistol as archaic or antique, outmoded, outdated, or too heavy.
    That is fine and that's why there are So Many different flavors of handguns out there to choose from.
    So that hopefully EVERYBODY can find one that they like.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Devil's advocate time.

Glocks and 1911s cost the same.
    In basic mode they are both around $500.
    Once you start hotrodding them the cost goes way up, I've seen David Bowie Glocks, metal frame Glocks, competition barrel Glocks that equal the cost of higher end 1911s.

It's all relative to what you want the gun to do, I want my guns to work and do it well. You can't really put a price limit on that, nor should you.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Glocks and 1911s cost the same.
    In basic mode they are both around $500.
    Once you start hotrodding them the cost goes way up, I've seen David Bowie Glocks, metal frame Glocks, competition barrel Glocks that equal the cost of higher end 1911s.
    However, a lot more people seem to be satisfied with a $500 stock Glock than are satisfied with a basic $500 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It's all relative to what you want the gun to do, I want my guns to work and do it well. You can't really put a price limit on that, nor should you.
    From what I've seen a lot of the hotrodding makes a gun work less well, particularly in the reliability department.

OD*
    1911s are like Harley Davidsons - Beautiful, expensive and ALWAYS needing work done on them!
    Bull on both counts.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    However, a lot more people seem to be satisfied with a $500 stock Glock than are satisfied with a basic $500 1911.
    True, I was just playing DA.
    I don't hotrod my guns, I just buy reliable guns...

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Round count means NOTHING! If you as an armed civilian need more than 6 or 8 rounds to stop an assailant - you've lost already! I don't carry a Glock because of the round count. 15 rounds at my disposal are a double edged sword, IMO. I as a police officer MIGHT need 15 rounds someday...but then again...I am responsible FOR ALL 15 ROUNDS! If I fire 15 rounds at a BG and hit him 4 or 5 times - where are the other 10 - 11 rounds? Now I'm getting off track here, but like dls56 said, I too think the 1911 has an AWESOME grip, and 7 or 8 rounds is sufficient.

But I still love my plastic!
    Well, if you're going to dream about taking out a BG with 1,2,3,or 4 rounds, it's not much farther to dream of taking out a bunch. Multiple assailants, whatever...Most civilians will never fire their weapon at anyone...I'll stand-behind my 13 rounds of tupperware. Like the old saying goes when you need more ammo, you really need it.

To be really objective though, it's all a matter of preference and what the individual feels comfortable with.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links