Why do 1911s cost so much?

This is a discussion on Why do 1911s cost so much? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter I think that many of the older shooters and gunners that grew up during the heyday of 1911 customization are more ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911s cost so much?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think that many of the older shooters and gunners that grew up during the heyday of 1911 customization are more willing to spend the big bucks on one than the younger gunners that started making their first handgun "carry choices" in the higher capacity "higher Tech" polymer gun era.

I started carrying a Colt .45 back when there were hardly any accessory or aftermarket parts available and if a shooter wanted an extended thumb safety he pretty much had to grind up an original factory part and silver braze on an extension. Alright well, maybe not quite THAT early but almost.

So I am used to carrying a .45. I like the 1911 for it's naturally point-ability and "in hand" feel.
    I shoot it very well.
    All of mine are accurate and they function reliably.
    I am practiced and I am able to "swap out" magazines quickly and so "in gun" magazine capacity is not a real concern for me.
    If it was I would carry an extended spare 11 round magazine.
    So I grew up with a keen and intimate appreciation of the 1911 pistols as an ultra reliable large bore self defensive firearm format.
    I appreciate their timeless design.
    I appreciate the unique ergonomics.
    So I personally see no need to move on to something else or to a different caliber.
    The .45acp cartridge will accomplish what I expect it to do if I do my part.
    I can understand how younger shooters would view the pistol as archaic or antique, outmoded, outdated, or too heavy.
    That is fine and that's why there are So Many different flavors of handguns out there to choose from.
    So that hopefully EVERYBODY can find one that they like.
    Well said, QK.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    Well, if you're going to dream about taking out a BG with 1,2,3,or 4 rounds, it's not much farther to dream of taking out a bunch. Multiple assailants, whatever...Most civilians will never fire their weapon at anyone...I'll stand-behind my 13 rounds of tupperware. Like the old saying goes when you need more ammo, you really need it.

To be really objective though, it's all a matter of preference and what the individual feels comfortable with.
    I'll make two responses to this that are actually kind of contradictory of each other:

You can't miss fast enough in a gunfight...

and...

I would rather have too many than not enough...

Some real good comments so far - especially the post from QK!

If you think it is so, then to you it is so.

Alot of the high end 1911's are beautiful guns. I don't think they are necessarily a waste of money either. I just personally wouldn't be willing to spend more than $700-$900 on one since companies like S&W and Springfield make such good and reliable 1911's in that price range. I have really come to respect and like my XD .45ACP service model but I will always love a good 1911.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Simple one word

LABOR

Why do 1911s cost so much?

Probably becuase they are not plastic.

Some of what has been posted here is bordering on heresy IMO and John Browning is probably rolling over in his grave. But, opinions are why we are all here I guess.

All 1911s are not expensive, only the tricked out models are, and some pretty nice ones aren't that pricey at all.

My RIA only cost $400, and a tricked out Taurus 1911 is around $600, Spingfield GI aorund $500. You can buy a mighty fine 1911 for less than a SIG & H&ks plastic guns cost more than most 1911s, except for custom models.

Everything is relative. I guess it just depends on what you want.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

JD
    Administrator
    The only 1911 I've paid over $900 for is my '44 Ithaca and it's a collectible gun.

My Springer was only $450.

My NIB Colt XSE was under $700.

My LNIB Kimber CDP Pro was $765 IIRC.

If you know where to shop you can get really good prices.

Also, if you really want a 1911 and don't want to spend that much $$ on one, there's plenty of used 1911's, have it checked out by a smith, get a complete spring replacement kit and your good to go.

Because they have yet to put a price tag on one so high that no one bought it? The higher price tag models I have seen have either had wonderful finishes or a lot of hand work involved. I have done a little work on a couple myself, and I am by no means a professional gunsmith. IMO part of the issue with the design of the 1911 is the bushing and the barrel/slide lock up. If you want match accuracy it has to be tight. If you want combat reliability it has to be loose. If you want match accuracy and combat reliability, that's the trick isn't it? Magic like that doesn't come cheap!

As an owner of only 2 1911's to date all I can say is Good Question.

I do own other guns including tupperware and they function just fine but I guess a 1911 is like they say about jeeps. It's a 1911 thing and if you have to ask you'll never understand.

I do plan on adding more 1911's to the stable.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    It depends on what you want, and want to do with it. My RIA's were $325.00 or so apiece out the door and dead reliable to boot, by the time I had finished with them I had $900.00 or so total apiece tied up in them. They are still reliable pistols that get carried often.

All a matter of what one is willing to pay. More bell and whistles, closer hand fitting etc, are time consuming and labor intensive and drive up the price over a bare bones 1911. You can get gun made that can wring out every teenie tiny bit of accuracy and be a thing of fine crafted beauty, or a stock mass produced production line totally bare bones base model. All a matter of what is important to you and what you wish spend, just other the others had stated. For a defense gun, reliability should be the number one concern. A base model 1911 that will go bang every time you ask it to ought to be accurate enough at defense distances. A looser fit gun is going to be less prone to jamming from dirt & crud, so a finely fitted, high end 1911, might not be the best gun to slide in your holster everyday. If shaving the line between the 10 and 9 ring is really important to you, then a high end gun might be your choice. You get what you pay for most times.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    As I have found out, "sometimes" it's less expensive to buy a pistol with everything you want included on the pistol and not worry about doing it a bit at a time. Then again, if money is tight and you can do some of the things yourself, going with the less expensive one and doing things in steps can be a little more expensive but you are not out a lot at one time.

I don't care what anyone carries...as long as it's not pointed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ivory grips will not make me a better shooter but, nonetheless I love them and I love the way the look and feel.
    Let's see some pics of your Ivory grips...

Price? I think the #1 factor is the level of hand workmanship required to build one. A distant second would be component cost. Might be some additional value in the 1911 name, but they are being made by a number of companies, so I don't think that plays as high as many think.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links