Why do 1911s cost so much? - Page 4

Why do 1911s cost so much?

This is a discussion on Why do 1911s cost so much? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911's, now this is a subject that always get heated. Its almost as bad as the 9mm vs. .45 debate. Heres my take, they are ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1911's, now this is a subject that always get heated. Its almost as bad as the 9mm vs. .45 debate.

Heres my take, they are a solid and well thought out design that requires a ton of hand fitting to make work. I personally can't see myself buying a $700 gun that needs work to shoot HP rounds. Thats just me. Give me a Sig, HK, or Glock in .45.

I have a hypothesis, people that were brought up shooting 1911's still do and have converted a few, but you will slowly see them start to die off as us 20-30 somethings get to be the old guys. Then we'll be hanging on to our Sigs while people are shooting 40 megawatt lasers or whatever will be the new thing then.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Got sig your almost right ... What will actualy happen is that as you " 20 - 30" shooters mature in your shooting and gun owning you will find that 1911 niche .. and it will in spite of how old it is continue to be produced as other designs fall by the wayside . IMHO a 1911 is not a good duty pistol , and for most it is the last pistol you want for ccw . It is tho the most effecent handgun design to take to kill another person with . That and that alone will assure it lives on Its not nice to speak of a design as made to kill another , but the 1911 truely was , and for dammed near a century has . The most loose as a goose mil spec beat to hell 1911 will shoot into 4 minutes of felon at 25 yards . The ultra costly high end will hit a dime at the same range . Its here because it works and works in a real compact package for the .45 round . It costs because its a design that started out well over 100 years ago , and the first pistols using the basic design were produced in 1903 if i remember right . If at this point in your handgun hobby you dont want one that is fine heck i have went 5 to 8 years without owning a 1911 , and in fact do not own one today . I do know i will again tho , over and over .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

the days of needing on tuned to shoot hp ar long gone almost all will out of the box now im 31 and prefer the 1911 over sig as do most my friends so that theroy wont hold

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    the days of needing on tuned to shoot hp ar long gone almost all will out of the box now im 31 and prefer the 1911 over sig as do most my friends so that theroy wont hold
    Hmmm I'm going to have to agree with Bud. I'm 27 and Lima's younger than me, I know my kids (when we have them) will start shooting 1911s.

My cousin and brother-in-law are 30ish and are 1911 fans...

It's never going to fade.

1911 Cost

I have two 1911's.
    The first one is a Dan Wesson that I paid about $800.00 (new).
    It is very accurate, and worked right out of the box. I have shot other 1911 45's that cost more than I could afford. Much fancier finish, custom grips etc.
    The Dan Wesson is more accurate than I could ever be. That is to say the gun can outshoot me. Some people buy $2000 plus guns without knowing why. Maybe they feel that it will make them a better shooter, or they may be really good shooters that can tell the difference. (I have not met one yet)

My second purchase was a Kimber Ultra Carry, got it used for under $500. What a sweet gun this is, shoots anything I put through it. Its my carry gun and I will never part with it. I don't think thats a lot of money for a gun. Its well made and I love the quality and feel of the Kimber. I have only been shooting for 8 months and I can put a group in at 25 yards that you could cover with a paper plate. I am just a beginner and I am sure that others could shoot rings around me!

I have shot other guns, but the 1911 works for me. I know that its a proven design and will hold its value over the years. How much is that "plastic" gun going to be worth in twenty or thirty years?

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    1911's, now this is a subject that always get heated. Its almost as bad as the 9mm vs. .45 debate.

Heres my take, they are a solid and well thought out design that requires a ton of hand fitting to make work. I personally can't see myself buying a $700 gun that needs work to shoot HP rounds. Thats just me. Give me a Sig, HK, or Glock in .45.
    That's true... but you can't generalize that 1911's need work to shoot HP rounds. Some do, some don't. It's all dependent on make and model and design. Same goes for other manufacturer's as well.

I have a hypothesis, people that were brought up shooting 1911's still do and have converted a few, but you will slowly see them start to die off as us 20-30 somethings get to be the old guys. Then we'll be hanging on to our Sigs while people are shooting 40 megawatt lasers or whatever will be the new thing then.
    Why do I like 1911's? I love the straight pull on the trigger. Show me another handgun that has that! Everything else is a swivel trigger which I don't care for after I tried the o-frame. Does that mean that I will get rid of my tupperware or my wheel guns? Nope. That means though that given a choice I'd pick up an o-frame any day of the week.

Also an important point to make is what I've learned not to long ago. 1911 really should be reserved to the first two issues of the 1911's. Everything else is o-frame. 1911 was designed to be slightly loose on the tolerances so that it would not fail if dirty, nor it would jam if ammo was inconsistent. Yup, it wasn't a tack driver necessarily, but it was pretty damn accurate (what was it that someone said about difference between 9 and 10 on the target?). Later folks started getting into crafted firearms. That's when the les baers, kimbers, high end springfields, dan browns, wilson combat's and others came in. Some of the new o-frames have been tweaked and are guaranteed to be accurate to 2" or something like that at a particular distance. That has a price behind it: it means that the design is TIGHT and there is no room for dust particles and so on. In combat situation does that make difference? Most likely not. If you need accuracy at distance, use something else than a handgun. Handgun is for close quarters, interaction......

This thread made me think of another advantage of a 1911 over some polymer guns, not that I am usually in the 1911 camp.

When the thing jams you can always hit the BG over the head with it and still kill him stone dead... try that with a lightweight 'plastic' gun - you might be there all day.

Not sure if an STI or a Taurus 1911 makes a better hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    . It is tho the most effecent handgun design to take to kill another person with . That and that alone will assure it lives on Its not nice to speak of a design as made to kill another , but the 1911 truely was , and for dammed near a century has .
    If anything i would say a glock with 33 parts would be the most efficient, a .45 out of any barrel is going to do the job, no matter what is firing it. To say one specific firearm is the most efficient killer is ludicrous. Im sorry i have shot many 1911's and i will admit as i did before it is a fine firearm, but i will NEVER spend 3000 dollars on something that my $800 Sig or my $500 Glock will do, if not better.
    Sigs are known for their inherent accuracy, all without hours of labor intensive smithing.

Anyways its just opinion and theory, i didn't mean to piss in anyone's cheerios. Well see in 20 years if the $3k 1911 is still around.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

JD
    Administrator
    The way things are going...in 20 years 3k will get you tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Anyways its just opinion and theory, i didn't mean to piss in anyone's cheerios. Well see in 20 years if the $3k 1911 is still around.
    the $3k probably won't be around... but the $500 to $1K one will be. Look at all the WWII ones that are still hanging around.
    Last edited by Huzar; June 11th, 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Why pay the price to smoke a Cuban Cigar when a cheepy will give ya lung cancer just the same ?

But ya sure will enjoy that Cuban more wont ya .. to each their own and im with QK who cares what ya spend on a gun as long as you're happy

I dont care if they guy next to me at the range had a glock or a one off custom built 10k gun as long as hes happy and dont shoot me

I love the rosewood custom grips on my kimber. However they might not work for someone with small or thick hands. They are just right for me an really look good.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    I love the straight pull on the trigger. Show me another handgun that has that!
    The HK VP70. Various early Browning designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The HK VP70. Various early Browning designs.
    Yes... but I thought we are talking about currently made and available on the market firearms. Although knowing my luck there's probably something out there that escaped my attention :D

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I hadn't thought about the hand work required for the higher end models. That makes sense though.
    I bought my SA milspec awhile ago and love it. I keep fighting the urge to go and buy another 1911. Maybe I can refrain for awhile and get another in a few months when I have some money saved.
    BTW, I don't carry my 1911 but I sure do love to shoot it.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links