Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by richardoldfield ELCruisr, I have never had a bobble with any of my Sigs (P220, P226, P228, P239, or P245). "Colt's are iffy, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    ELCruisr,

I have never had a bobble with any of my Sigs (P220, P226, P228, P239, or P245).

"Colt's are iffy, SA's are all iffy,..", in regard to these brands most Colts and SAs are 1911s and they may have break in problems.

Kahrs come with factory advice not to use them for defense until you have fired 200 rounds, I have followed this advice and I have never had a malfi.

Kel-Tecs cost a fraction of $1,000 and they are known to need a "fluff and buff" but Kel-Tec offers fantastic customer service if their product does not work.

Regards,

Richard
    All I'm saying is I've seen ALL these manf's produce problem guns! Which means by some peoples definitions makes them "iffy". We all have different experiences.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It's like anything else. Some people are going to spend a great deal of money on a SD gun, whether they need it or not.

Here in California, there're a ton of loaded 4X4s that've probably never touched dirt, but people buy them.

At the same token, if you can afford an expensive gun for EDC, so what? Good for that person. There's also been several threads not that long ago that showed many people didn't pay that much for their semi-custom 1911. They either bought used, got a great deal, or did most of the work themselves.

I think there're more above avg. quality 1911s out there now, with extras for under $1K. From what some people have said, there's some that aren't that much over $500.

I have a 1911 type gun, but my most expensive gun is my Kahr PM9. My Para was used, & if you included all the extra mags & the Brommeland Max-Con V holster, I actually paid less than $500 for the gun (At least that's what I told my wife ).

At the same time, there are some good, less expensive guns out there. The Taurus PT145's not bad, the Rugers are nice, & most people love the Kel-Tecs, & not expensive at all.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Like others have said, it's all a matter of personal preference and finding what works best for each individual. Would I drop an additional $500 on top of your $230 pistol to get enhanced reliability and higher quality? You bet I would, especially if it's a pistol to which I will be entrusting my life. Most of the low-cost pistols out there have a shortened life expectancy and I want to be able to practice enough to become proficient with it and not be wary of putting rounds through it so that it doesn't crap out on me prematurely. Others may have different opinions on the matter and that's fine. I don't force my beliefs on anyone else and they're entitled to their own opinions as well.

Spiff_P239, thanks for the advice. I have used the Bersa Thunder 45 for four years and I am still waiting for the first bobble. Should I start tuning the Bersa now in preparation for the first jam? Regards, Richard

Spiff_P239, thanks for the advice. I have used the Bersa Thunder 45 for four years and I am still waiting for the first bobble. Should I start tuning the Bersa now in preparation for the first jam? Regards, Richard
    I never said your gun would fail just because it isn't as expensive as other pistols. I know that some manufacturers admit that their guns do not have an expected lifespan that is as long as those of the more expensive alternatives. An expected lifespan is just that, an estimate. The average male's life expectancy is 65 years, but some people live to be 100+ years old. There are always exceptions to the rules as others have said. All guns (regardless of price) can be subject to quality control problems. I'm sure everyone has read a lot of threads about 1911s failing but there's no way they would still be made and carried today if these stories were indicative of the majority of that type of pistol.

What I did say was that you should carry what you're willing to trust your life to and what you can afford. If the Bersa is your gun of choice, that's fine, but I wouldn't ask why people spend their money in a certain way since it is their money.

What need do others or I have for a $1,000 when the above pistols work and work well for half of the Sig’s price?
    No one "needs" to spend $1000+ for a pistol, any more than they "need" to drive a Porsche when a F150 will get them to their destination. The Wilsons and Sigs, etc, are the Porsche's of the pistol world, and they are just sexier, not necessarily better.

I would love to have a Wilson or a Sig, but until my company makes a lot more money, my 65 year old 1911 ($300), in which I replaced all the worn parts ($200) shoots just as flawlessly as anything I can buy new.
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

The pistol is my constant companion a Bersa Thunder 45. You will note it is no longer pristine. Will our posters with $1,000+ carry pistols post pictures of their pistols? I want to see what they look like after 3-4 years of carry. Thanks and regards, Richard

JD
    Administrator

I don't carry it but...

It's over 60 years old and been through a world war, I don't think it's too shabby and I paid 1K for it. If it was all I had, I'd have no problem carrying it.

Sorry to say I don't have any of my first carry guns, I sold them to buy some guns that cost over $1K...

As I recall I paid almost 1k (after taxes) for my Para Nitehawg when it first came out, it looked worse after 3 months than anyhthing else I had, but I don't carry something just to look pretty.

From last week not sure what you are expecting to see not like its gonna fall apart because its carried and i shoot the crap out of it to

Pic doesn't really show its Character lot more scratches and a bump or 2 been carried less than a year but looks pretty close to my other carry guns since this is a carry gun i went with stainless and don't worry about the Scratches and what not its a tool not a safe queen

Actually i take ti back my springfield lightweight looked worse than that in less time slide kept getting rust spots on the stainless hand to finally sand blast it to fix it ..

In 3-4 years ask again and ill post a pic and im sure it will look even more scratched up then

Administrator
    As I see it, money has nothing to do with it. I want what works. If it costs 500, great. If its 5000, so be it.

I have several pistols in my rotation because of my job. Sometimes I need a full size, most of the time I need a medium and every so often I need micro. I have a few of each to choose from but none of them were purchased because the the price.
    I own a few top tier guns, a lot of 2nd tier guns and no 3rd tier. Aside from those that are pure collectors items, all work and work well, price is the very last factor I consider.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    To me, everyone has something that they prefer to spend more time with and more money on. With some it's fishing or hunting others it's motor vehicles. Some will spend premium price for a cigar and watch it go up in smoke. Lots of people golf and will pay outlandish prices to play a certain course. Some would prefer to spend their money on other "toys" and I use that word tongue in cheek because most of these toys preform very well.

With me it fly fishing equipment. I've got a handmade, custom built cane trout rod that cost me right at $1000, add another $250 for the fly reel ... you get the picture. Yes, I use it and use it well.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    With me it fly fishing equipment. I've got a handmade, custom built cane trout rod that cost me right at $1000, add another $250 for the fly reel ... you get the picture. Yes, I use it and use it well.
    Jack
    And IF you never caught a fsh with it you'd like it just as much.

Maybe so but I've landed a few lunkers and put more than my share of rainbows in the smoker with it. Does it handle any better than my $150 graphite rod? Absolutely, it's a completely different experience fishing that rod. Do I still use my graphite rods? Sure I do - but not for trout.
    Jack

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links