Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently read another article on a compact 1911 45acp pistol. This article was written by Clint Smith and he sang the praises of the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

I recently read another article on a compact 1911 45acp pistol. This article was written by Clint Smith and he sang the praises of the Sig 1911 compact, this firearm sells for over $1,000 (US).

I do not know about you but there are plenty of non-191145acp pistols that work right out of the box. Carry handguns are subjected to a lot of wear and tear; I do not want to use a valuable handgun for this purpose.

What do I want to use for car/carry? I want to use a lightweight, compact, reliable, accurate handgun in the largest caliber possible and still not cost an arm and a leg. If this sounds like an impossible task it isn’t. I use a Bersa Thunder 45 for car/carry; it cost me $200 plus shipping/handling and $30 for an extra magazine. I can honestly say this pistol does it all for me.

Do I have other suggestion for carry handguns in a manly caliber? Yes, I also own an S&W M457 $325, S&W Chief’s Special $325, Glock 30 $525, and a Sig P245 $550. I have used all of these weapons for car/carry and they have all been flawless.

What need do others or I have for a $1,000 when the above pistols work and work well for half of the Sig’s price?

Regards,

Richard

2. Remove Ads

Charles Daly $580

Senior Moderator
    Let me be the first to say, "To each his own."

My carry gun cost me $750 (after background check). Another $40 for two more magazines, another $50 for a good holster, $120 for new tritium night sights. $40 for a new Main-Spring housing. $20 for new slim-lined grips and I'm not done customizing yet.

Right there I've spent $1,020. By the time I'm done it will probably be a bit more. However, I wouldn't trade the gun or the modifications I've done on it for any other.

I'm trusting my life to this gun and that means I want it to be custom fit to me and to my needs, the amount of money I spend to do that is secondary to that goal.

I honestly wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Wilson Combat as a carry gun. If they have the money and the desire than that's their call.. as long as they at least let me shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    What need do others or I have for a $1,000 when the above pistols work and work well for half of the Sig’s price?
    Why does anyone need a BMW when a Toyota will work well for half the price? Well, the Beemer's probably got some premium features that you just won't find on the Toyota, and some people are willing to lay down extra cash for that. Plus a BMW impresses the neighbors in a way that the Toyota never will.

Hey, everybody likes a nice barbecue gun, but I don't go to a barbecue everyday. So my carry gun is utilitarian - tough, reliable, and shootable.

I'd have a safe full of barbecue guns if I had the cabbage, but the G23 is an everday at the local diner gun.

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb Revolution C3...maybe this is why.

This is from Sig's website:

...rosewood custom wood grips
    ...machined to exacting tolerances and hand-fitted to insure reliability and performance.

The C3 frame is machined from a lightweight alloy and includes 25-line per inch front strap checkering and checkered mainspring housing.

...uses only premium internal parts such as a match grade barrel, hammer/sear set and trigger. The C3 is also available in a durable Nitron finish accented with Natural Stainless controls.

...Novak Night sights
    Find me these features on anything with an MSRP under $1k.

The only 1911 that comes close to this (features and low price) is the Taurus PT1911, and the guy shooting next to us today had one, after he left with a broken gun, Lima found a plunger tube and spring laying on the floor while sweeping up brass.

$750?

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Let me be the first to say, "To each his own."

My carry gun cost me $750 (after background check). Another $40 for two more magazines, another $50 for a good holster, $120 for new tritium night sights. $40 for a new Main-Spring housing. $20 for new slim-lined grips and I'm not done customizing yet.

Right there I've spent $1,020. By the time I'm done it will probably be a bit more. However, I wouldn't trade the gun or the modifications I've done on it for any other.

I'm trusting my life to this gun and that means I want it to be custom fit to me and to my needs, the amount of money I spend to do that is secondary to that goal.

I honestly wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Wilson Combat as a carry gun. If they have the money and the desire than that's their call.. as long as they at least let me shoot it!
    How did you do that? That's a great price for an Ultra...mine was $1060...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

ret
    I found it used And hers is a series 1, which probably only had 200 rounds fired through it, not a mark on it.

And it was $740 out the door, not $750

I find all the good deals.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I also find it hard to justify the high price for a carry piece. However I can't fault anyone for spending what they are comfortable with for a pistol. What is important is that we all feel confident in our choices.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

ret
    She works at a gun store.

Let me put it this way. I used to know a timber cruiser years ago. He took his vehicles so far back in that a breakdown could men a 40 mile walk out. It was also pretty hard on his vehicle cruising around the backside of nowhere day after day. The one time he used a cheaper "good enough" four wheel drive he walked for four days getting out and he was mighty hungry doing it. He then switched to seriously heavy duty, custom built, highly modified older Land Cruisers. He never looked back or got stuck out there again.

My 1911 is customized and set up to suit ME, not the masses. I also don't have near the money in them you might expect!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    If there was any way possible, I'd be carrying a $3500.00 Custom 1911!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have quite a few pistols that went out the door for $325.00 - $500.00 range. But I have several that hit the $1000.00 and over mark I don't care if it's a 1911 or not when you start looking at H&K, Sig, and lots of other makes with a few bells and whistles like night sights and any custom work at all you'll get over the $950.00 mark easily.

ret
    Hey ret, I paid $897 out the door for my Ultra Carry with night sights and Lasergrips. Only thing I can figure is he left ff the price of the Lasergrips. I gave him 2 opportunities to verify the price and after he got a bit testy after me asking him the second time I gladly paid him his money and walked on down the line (gun show) with my new CCW gun.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

to each thier own mine cost me 1780$ did i need it ? nope

My Springer or Colt i was carrying were half the price 800 for springer and a used colt commander for 500..

Did i want it you Bet

Do i regret it .. Not at all shoot it and you would understand to

Looks at the hand fitting the 30 lpi checkering attn to small details it was worth it to me

would i by that sig for 1K? not a chance in hell i want a 1911 that runs not runs to be returned to sig to make it work right

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links