Just got my Kahr MK40... will update w/ report

This is a discussion on Just got my Kahr MK40... will update w/ report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Guys, Just received my MK40!!! As stated in a previous post... I want to love this gun because it fits my lifestyle. However, I ...

Thread: Just got my Kahr MK40... will update w/ report

Just got my Kahr MK40... will update w/ report

Hello Guys,

Just received my MK40!!! As stated in a previous post... I want to love this gun because it fits my lifestyle. However, I will not tolerate less than 100% reliability. Give me a couple of days to get to the range and give you guys a report.

Note- just before I took it home I compared it to the PM40... the PM is much lighter but I still chose the MK.

fd

2. Remove Ads

Good luck with it, Ive been interested in Kahr for a while, but have not made the leap. looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Congrats...

on the new pistola...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i have a factory refurbished mk9 that i adore. i traded a kimber stainless ultra II for it and i could not be happier. my MK has had several hundred rounds through it with no issues. while it is heavier than some other ccw options, the weight helps to control the little bugger.
    congrats on the new pick up and give it some time to break in if it is brand new. it will take 200+ rounds.

Their poly framed guns were known to have some issues Their all steel guns do not seem have the same problems. I've had ZERO issues with my K40

Wise choice... I had a chance to try out a PM40. All I had to say was ouch. Not something I would be prone to train with so I passed up the deal. I am interested to see how controlable the steel version is. Love the feel and size of those M size Kahrs.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Hello Guys,
    I have been nuts this week so I have not had a chance to test the MK40...However, I have been carrying it on my ankle and it is great!!! It just disapears!!! While it is heavier then it's polymer brother it is still a joy to carry.

Will give you guys a report soon.

Cheers,
    fielddominance

New MK40- Range Report

Hello Guys & Gals,

Well, I finally got to take her out to the range and prove or disprove all the hype and/or bashing the Kahr MK40/PM40 has received. Let me start by saying that I am really not qualified to write a range report for this or any gun because my knowledge of guns and the terminology needed is zero at best. So, here is a brief description of a Kahr MK40 from a guy who needs a very concealable arm that becomes an extension of my day to day life and cannot impede nor incumber my very casual & physical lifestyle... T-Shirts, jeans and cargo pants and a whole lot of hands-on physical work. Furthermore, it is of the upmost importance to me for my arm not to be noticed or seen by my employees, clients and kids. So, yes I am/was predisposed to love the MK40.

1. CONCEALABLE-
    As you guys may have read I have been carrying it around on my ankle for over week. While much heavier then it's polymer counterpart it's weight quickly disappeared and became a natural extension of my leg. Moreover, no one has detected it on my ankle.

I do have a Rosen IWB holster on order but I doubt I will ever carry it that way. I will try it and update you with that experience.

2. ON THE RANGE-
    Ok, so I walked out on a Super hot, super humid morning today (Father's Day) on a range in Homestead, FL where I put up a orange peel & stick 20 X 20" target on a 30 X 48 stand/cardboard. Walked on over to about the 12 yard line... Note- because of all the rain down hear the only line i could see was the 7 yard.

a. So the 12 yard line... first shots. Hit the orange target about 70% of the time but on the outer edges and with no control what so ever. Quickly spent the 2 clips... 11 rounds

b. reloaded... tried again. now im lining up my sights, I'm focusing on my trigger pull, etc... Now there starts coming a little reason... 90% target hits and now they are grouping at 12-16". I did that for 50 rounds and bettered that group another 20%.

During those 50 rounds I start concentrating on recoil, time to re-aim, and pulling the trigger softly. Another thing that starts happening is first recognition of my admiration for the arm. Love is starting... Rock solid robust build! While it's not that German/Swiss type engineering & finish, it is damn butch!!! more like FORD Dullie F350 Butch!!! Although it's small... It's tough and bad!!! When I have shown it to any of my close friends there is immediate respect for it. Now that I have shot it... MUCH RESPECT!!!

c. the next 100 rounds I spent on the 7 yard line getting to know her and how her sights lined up to the target. From this distance 3-5" groupings were the norm. During the 100 rounds I tried many different setups... head on, multiple targets in sequence, kneeling, drawing etc... all very successful.

After 150 rounds the gun became real hot and my hands and arms started to show a little fatigue but not much. The gun also started to get filthy but my hands remained clean. Remember, while I am not a beginner I am barely a novice. 20 years ago I shot everyday for 6 months... but I have not shot since. Right now I am just getting back into it. So, yes it kicks but not at all what I expected... very controllable, very, very reasonable. So much so I am very happy I did not get the 9mm. The 40 in the all metal frame is the s^#t!!! A mini canon! It's got real balls!!! Is my love coming thru???

d. the last fifty rounds I spent doing draws from my ankle holster and nailing my targets from the squatting/kneeling position.... again at 7 yards. I wasn't doing 2" groups but there where runs that clustered up. Then I shot from the hip... draw extend a little above my hip and shoot. This is where I was blown away with a 70% target contact at 20 X 20".

e. just for reference I shot 50 rounds thru my Sig 229... Take it easy... I know there's no comparison. The Sig is a Mercedes S-Class!!! But that heavy contrast allowed me to value the Kahr even more...

3. FINAL
    So, now my KAHR MK40 is "broken-in" with 150 rounds of Remington Range 40 SW & 50 rounds of FUCHS range ammo.

Ohh!!! but wait a minute... MALFUNCTIONS??? Sorry brothers... not one!!!!! NOT F-ing ONE!!!!

The size is just BRILLIANT!!! The build is tough!!!! I am 6'1" and do have large hands but I never focused on grip... it just happened.

4. OFFICIAL CARRY
    The MK40 is now my full time carry!!! I am convinced that I will never have to use it but if that day comes I now know I will have it on me instead of a trunk, glove-box, office drawer, etc... The Kahr now allows me comfort in carry. Furthermore, I have 100% reliability confidence. I TRUST MY LIFE TO IT!!!

I will be taking some tactical courses soon and I will update you if anything changes.

Cheers,
    Guys
    Happy Fathers Day!!!

Administrator
    nice write up, I'm glad you have found a Kahr.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here are some pics
    Attached Images

Very nice! I, too, love my little Kahr (PM9 in my case). Glad it worked out so well for you.

Thanks!
    I had allot of people trying to talk me out of the Kahr PM, MK, etc... I am glad I came to this forum and and surveyed you guys. It's a great gun!!! Until Sig, HK or Glock make a 5" X 4"X .90" the KAHR is it!

Thanks for all your help.

concealed-
    Attached Images

Links