Tough Guns - Page 2

Tough Guns

This is a discussion on Tough Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my Kimbers...have one Glock... And the winner from your list is.... > > > > Glock...without question... OMO Stay armed...stay rugged...stay safe! ret...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tough Guns

I love my Kimbers...have one Glock...

And the winner from your list is....

>

>

>

>

Glock...without question...

OMO

Stay armed...stay rugged...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    1911. Tried and battlefield tested time and time again, unlike all the others.
    Yup. Submerge it in water, drop it in mud, throw it off a building, drive a car over it, bury it for a couple of months, dig it up, shake the dirt out of the barrel, shove a clip in it and it will still shoot.

If a more modern design is a must, this link, http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Odd0307.html is to a torture test of the Sig P220 combat, which seems to have come through quite well.
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

Maybe DeWalt should get into firearms?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You can't generalize with 1911s the way you can with Glocks.

Your 1911 might work fine if you don't clean it, not all of them are like that. I would guess that 99.9% of Glocks will work no matter how dirty you keep them.

I think that any mentions of 1911 in this thread are referring to particular guns, not all 1911s.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd say the Glock, but the XD's will probably prove themselves to be similar.

Except for the Kahr, all the other guns were made for or used by some Military force.

I had a Glock 21 for 11 yrs. It went through hell & back. It's been dropped, used for special teams, hit people with it, etc. I didn't have to tear it down & put it back together, because the safety or slide stop was bent into the gun. They have few parts, a great finish right out of the box, a decent trigger & short re-set, good barrel, & a polymere frame. They take knocks better because of that.

Like I said, the XDs are probably similar & the Kahr is, too. But the Glocks have been around longer than both.

As to the 1911, it has been around a long time. But todays 1911 isn't the old military model that was made for ball ammo only. 1911's are made by alot of different companies, some good, some bad. The other guns listed are brands, while the 1911 is a type/style of gun. Not really the same type of comparison.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Somewhere on one of these gun forums is a link to a video of a really rotten torture test of a Ruger P345. They buried it in concrete, used a sledge, followed by hammer and chisel to get the gun out of the set concrete. It fired on the first try and actually cycled.

Most modern guns are a whole lot tougher than you think, and the polymer framed ones are no exception!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Ummmm, yeah. Never any cases of fractured/sheared sear surfaces, bent safeties, or crushed detent spring tubes (freezing a safety). Yes, the 1911 has its years in, but it is in no way as "field-durable" as the others. Period. End of story. Granted, I would go to great lengths to prevent my weapon from bounding happily along the concrete, but, particularly in the Glock and XD platforms, there are simply fewer mechanisms to fail.
    I do not want to argue but your whole statement is incorrect at every level. To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No question about it, the Glock wins this contest. You cant go wrong with the 19/23 the 26/27 or the 30/36.
    Sixto is right on (As usual.)

I have several guns but my all the time gun is G19 or 23. I trust in Glock with my life- as well as my wife's and our 3 wonderful children. I have other guns that are fun or cool, but Glock's where it's at!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I wouldn't exchange a 1911 for any Glock or XD. I purchased a 1918 vintage Colt Model 1911 for myself on my 21st birthday and still have it 29 years and thousands of rounds later. It is a correct military model but very worn. Have a Remington Rand contract 1911A1 and a Colt Gold Cup as well. The two military 1911's always fire and function. With any style bullet, any load. I really don't consider the Gold Cup to be in the same league as the military models as far as reliability goes. It was marketed with a different purpose in mind. My military 1911's never jam and are more accurate than their reputation suggests. The 1911 design is reliable and very sturdy.

The thing I would recommend to the newbie buying into the goodness of the 1911 is LEAVE IT ALONE! Just shoot it! Some brands perhaps require breaking in but don't give in to the temptation to customize it. Don't believe everything you hear or read about what a 1911 "needs" to run right or be accurate. Give the gun a chance in its stock form. Show me a balky 1911 .45 and I'll show you a pistol that has been fiddled with. There's gobs of them out there, lurking in gun shops and gun shows. Or in the gun safes of jazbos who have ruined theirs and want to offload it on the next unsuspecting chump. If the newest Glocks, H&K's, SIG's, Beretta's, Springfield XD's etc. were messed with as much as is the 1911, none of them would run right either.

The 1911 doesn't need to be sawed on, changed up, modified, melted, tricked out, full-length guide rodded, balanced and blueprinted, chopped and channeled, rolled and pleated, plumbed for nitrous, stuffed with three kinds of cheese with special sauce dribbled on top, or have Joe Champion's name engraved on it along with some sinister sounding model designation such as "Macho Blaster of Doom" in order to give complete shooting satisfaction and years of service. Spending $1200 to $3500 for a 1911 .45 is just insane! If one has the bucks and wants to, then git 'er done, but don't kid yourself into believing it's required or necessary.

I enjoy the original Colt product but have handled and fired a number of inexpensive 1911's that were great and offered good .45 shooting value to any pistolero.

Another thing; if all semi-auto pistols marketed for the last 110 years had only various configurations of double action only triggers and a semi-auto was introduced that, by flip of a safety, possessed a crisp, shootable, single stage trigger, it would be hailed high and low as the best thing since sliced bread.

DAO's have been the rage now for a decade or more. I've never seen a GOOD reason for DAO. "Safe-Action" still equals DAO to me. In my view it's a cop-out for no training. One wouldn't want a DAO trigger on his rifle or shotgun. Why would one desire such a trigger on his handgun that by its very design requires more aim-destroying force to be applied to overcome the trigger in order to place one's bullet accurately? Conventional wisdom embraces DAO like the tail of the "Emperor's New Clothes". The story of the emperor who was suckered into purchasing "invisible" clothes by the dishonest tailors. As he showed "them" off to the citizenry everyone oooed and ahhhhed. Finally a little boy piped up and said "but he's naked" DAO triggers requires thoughtful consideration as to just what is being accomplished by such a wretched device. Besides they're not nearly as pleasant to shoot for fun. Obviously I'm an old geezer who comes from a high-power rifle competition and bullseye pistol competition background which shades my thinking on the subject. I just like a good trigger.

I participated in a torture test of some glocks many years ago. Our test was 10,000 rounds with no cleaning. I was impressed. I just don't like the way they feel in my hands. I go Sig!

P.S. Tupperware belongs in the kitchen, not in a holster!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Sixto is right on (As usual.)

I have several guns but my all the time gun is G19 or 23. I trust in Glock with my life- as well as my wife's and our 3 wonderful children. I have other guns that are fun or cool, but Glock's where it's at!
    I would add , My HK USP seems just as durable as Glock pistols. I have dropped, used and carried my USP in all conditions (lots of outdoor nasty conditions) and never had a problem. I do hear and saw a Glock lose its front sight while out in the field. It still functioned though.
    the XD may be just as good, but they are still new. Time will tell.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glock with Sig running a close second. I have both, great guns, very reliable. I love them both, but the Glock gets the nod for CCW for me.

SY

whw
    If I had to pick a high capacity semi-auto, I'd go with Glock or the XD.

If I could choose a revolver, I would go with a Ruger GP-100.

The only gun I would have concerns with are the Kahr and certain 1911's.

whw

Sounds like bmcgilvray likes the 'ol model 1911 straight out of the box!

I have 2 straight out of the box. A Colt & a Para Ordnance. I love them! I also know I've had one broken barrel link on my COLT and a broken extractor on my PARA.

I also know my Glock has fired more rounds than both my 1911's combined, been absolutely more abused than both my 1911's because it's my swat team gun and I also KNOW my Glock has been more reliable. If my new XD shapes up to be as reliable as my Glock, I'll be a happy camper!

But I do love my 1911's and won't get rid of them. I also know the reality of newer designed modern guns. I know change is hard to accept. And I know John Browning was a genius. I take nothing away from him.

Bottom line... as always... It's "to each his own". Everyone has their own opinions.

Like Clint Smith says... "My way may not be right, but I have Time & Grade in on what I do, and it works for me!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

HKR
    Glock.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links