Tough Guns - Page 5

Tough Guns

This is a discussion on Tough Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs Shade: Which POST academy are you going to ? A young lad who is like a stepson to me just ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tough Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Shade: Which POST academy are you going to ? A young lad who is like a stepson to me just went thro TSJC post last year and glock was fine there , in fact i sent him off with my 17 after graduation he got his own and went glock there too .
    Through AIMS in Greeley, the firearms courses will be held at the academy in Golden. Just buy the guys tone I could guess that he had a personal dislike for Glocks.

My guess was they had a kaboom, they happen, and can happen with any pistol, but Glock is not know for their customer support after such an incident, but that is just a guess.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ahh ok Camp George West then ( CSP academy ) The ghost of Jess Gibson lives on with state patrol then LOL . ( ask around the csp academy about Jess , he is retired now , but rather a legend ) . He and Art Bell ( DC Metro , and later worked for Glock ) taught my Police Firearm Instructors course way back in the day .. With CSP ( Gibson ) Rabidly hating glocks , and Bell having been instrumental in getting them selected by D.C. Metro it was a shall we say interesting and informitave class LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

XD a tough Gun

I love my XDSC in 9mm
    4000, bangs no trouble !

Accurate, $ affordable to shoot

A tough Gun.

you wont be disappointed.
    try several different makes and manufacturers
    Rent em' all ----before ya commit.

Glocks are tough But, I like the feel of an XD in my hand.

My Buddy called last week after shooting mine. He just went out and bought 1 also.

Yes the XD has taken some cue from the Glock as far as the finnish goes. The XD platform has been around for several years to though. They have served well in Croatia as military and leo weapons.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

i know you have gotten a lot of responses already but ill through in my 2 cents. As far durability goes, I would say any HK. Even though im planning on getting an XD (which are also VERY DURABLE). Other companies may do this as well, but I know HK puts their guns in ovens, puts them in freezers, in water, and in mud, taken them out of each and shoots them right away (within seconds). and they always go bang (usually accompanies with the shatter of ice or mud flying everywhere). theres a movie somewhere on you tube of it (although in german) if you can find it. its about the p2000.

Glock will serve you well. Got your choice too in small , medium and large sizes in all the popular calibers.

"Somewhere there is a write up on the SIG 220 Combat. They dropped it, ran over it with bulldozers, blew it up with high explosives, froze them, used them to crush rocks, dropped a backhoe bucket from 40 feet on them, still cycled and fired."

"Most of us have torture tested ours harder that the advertised Glock tests. Well with the exception of the one where they threw it out of a helicopter at like 150'. None of us has a helicopter. We have however dropped some of them from 50' on to pavement. We have yet to break one."

I don't understand. Aren't pistols for shooting?

The size thing isn't so much an issue because of what I limited the choices mentioned to. Glocks feel fine in medium or small frame (large frame is too large a grip for my hands); HK USPs and USP compacts also feel nice, though I haven't shot them yet; Sigs in P220/P226/P229 all feel great in my hands, especially with the slimmer factory grips.

Only problem I'm finding now is renting these guns (Glocks I don't need to rent - the only calibers I haven't shot are the 10mm and .357). The USP I haven't found to rent yet, and most of the Sig models for rent are coming in .357 Sig or .40 S&W, neither caliber much interests me (I prefer, and do well with, 9mm and .45).

Ah well, the search goes on.

Good list and good reasons so far folks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I don't understand. Aren't pistols for shooting?
    Facetiously, I would answer they already did that in the tests.

On a serious note, though, I want as dependable a handgun as I can buy. The type of weapon I can carry and know for certain that not only will it shoot, it will shoot in the most adverse conditions, against all odds and most sensibilities. People who perform these torture tests, company-sponsored or not, help to prove just how reliable a product is. I thank them, and envy their jobs!

-B

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i know you have gotten a lot of responses already but ill through in my 2 cents. As far durability goes, I would say any HK. Even though im planning on getting an XD (which are also VERY DURABLE). Other companies may do this as well, but I know HK puts their guns in ovens, puts them in freezers, in water, and in mud, taken them out of each and shoots them right away (within seconds). and they always go bang (usually accompanies with the shatter of ice or mud flying everywhere). theres a movie somewhere on you tube of it (although in german) if you can find it. its about the p2000.
    HK's fit my hand perfectly, every time, without modification. I 'm as accurate with them as I am with anything else, but the 3 times I've fired one (avg. ~20 rounds) (2 9mm, 1 .45) I've had the classic HK jam. Not hard to clear, but not what I want in a carry piece.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    HK's fit my hand perfectly, every time, without modification. I 'm as accurate with them as I am with anything else, but the 3 times I've fired one (avg. ~20 rounds) (2 9mm, 1 .45) I've had the classic HK jam. Not hard to clear, but not what I want in a carry piece.
    Did you put the bullets in the magazine like in that picture? (backwards)

I would go Glock (even though I hate them with a passion as pure as freshly fallen snow.) If they work for you they are one of the best guns on the market. For all the reasons stated previously.

Failing that however, the CZ pistols are also a very nice choice and can end up being a bit cheaper (if money is an issue).

Have not handled HK or Sig so I can not speak for them.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    The "classic HK jam" is a new one for me. Been around HK's for years and haven't heard that one. The only documented facts I know about is the military test trials. The HK fired approx. 160,000 rds. without a malfuntion. Maybe the gun you fired had a bad non-factory mag that was causing the problem. Dunno?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glock and Ruger both of mine have seen some tough days but they keep going bang!!!!!! Thats what counts.

I have done all kinds of things to try and get my GLOCK to fail. I will not. I have read several places that the .40 especially is prone to failure with high pressure reloads, which GLOCK recommends against highly. I shoot factory fresh ammo. You will not win any beauty contests with a GLOCK but it will go BANG BANG BANG BANG......for a very long time. You will have no problem finding holsters or accessories. Plus...It may sound paranoid but with LE carrying them about 60% or better nationwide, they might hesitate to shoot if they roll up and see you with a BG at bay. Though that is not 100% obviously.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm going to put my $0.02 in for the Glock as well, (H&K 2nd) with the caviat that go with the gun that you like to shoot the most. Find a range that rents pistols and see what you like. It took a bit for me to get used to the grip angle on the Glock, but now I really like them.

I finally settled with a Glock after considering several factors:

1. price- it's an affordable piece with widely available inexpensive options/holsters/spare parts. Who would want to throw a $2500 Wilson across the pavement when the cops arrive after 'needing it'?!

2. features- I like the simplicty of the safetyless design, trigger & high ammo capacity. (I know, 3 safties but you pull the trigger it goes bang. Personally I don't consider it as having a safety.)

3. design- polyemer guns are light and more comfortable in the 90% humidity of the Virgina summer. Maybe i'm alone but I actually like the way they look, especially with a nickel-finished slide.

4. reputation- there are many guns that have been well tested and trialed but (detractors aside, as all guns have detractors) there is a reason the G17/19 is the most popular pistol in the world and that it carried by the most LEO's

5. durability & maintainence- Almost nothing sticks out on a Glock. There is nothing to dent or bend, no external little pins or spring housings. Glocks will operate fine after being abused, filled with dirt or water, and they require very little lubrication to function perfectly.

Many guns including an h&k or a reputable 1911 can rate on that table, but no other gun rated as high to me on all 5 points.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

SIG-To Hell & Back...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links