Tough Guns

This is a discussion on Tough Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always find these discussions amusing. I am no expert when it comes to weapons, nor have I owned every one out there. In my ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tough Guns

I always find these discussions amusing. I am no expert when it comes to weapons, nor have I owned every one out there. In my very short years of experiance I have had one weapon malfunction on me. A 1970's .22 baretta pistol had the tip of the Ejector break off and it would stovepipe every 15 or 20 rounds.

In my humble and often wrong opinion 99% of firearms out there will function reliably and will handle lots of abuse. With the caviat that you take decent care of them. The only time (knock on wood) Ive had malfunctions was a random breakage on the OLD beretta or shooting someone elses light reloads that would fte. (which I consider an ammunition malfunction as the weapon did what it is supposed to)

Glock 17 = 10k+ rounds
    SIGMA sw9ve = 3000+ rounds
    10/22 = Only god knows
    870 12ga= 2000+ rounds
    Ber. Mod 70 2000+ rounds
    ar15= 5000+ rounds
    SA 1911 Milspec 3000+ rounds

On topic. I would choose the Glock. It is the only one that I have Truly abused in daily carry. (back in the bouncing days) It's had beer, soda, water, smoke machine liquid, Drywall shavings, sawdust, sand, grass, gravel, fish guts, and almost every other imaginable substance that could possibly get on your pants thrown at it. It never malfunctioned for me once. I keep a cleaning kit in the car incase one of mine does get dropped in the mud.

Do I have the confidence that It would shoot if it had to? Absolutly. Would I knowingly carry a "dirty" weapon? Heck no. (that was beaten out of me as a younger child) :P

Looking forward to the day when I have the cash to purchase an XD just so I can give it a shot.

I vote Glock

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    I always find these discussions amusing. I am no expert when it comes to weapons, nor have I owned every one out there. In my very short years of experiance I have had one weapon malfunction on me. A 1970's .22 baretta pistol had the tip of the Ejector break off and it would stovepipe every 15 or 20 rounds.

In my humble and often wrong opinion 99% of firearms out there will function reliably and will handle lots of abuse. With the caviat that you take decent care of them. The only time (knock on wood) Ive had malfunctions was a random breakage on the OLD beretta or shooting someone elses light reloads that would fte. (which I consider an ammunition malfunction as the weapon did what it is supposed to)

Glock 17 = 10k+ rounds
    SIGMA sw9ve = 3000+ rounds
    10/22 = Only god knows
    870 12ga= 2000+ rounds
    Ber. Mod 70 2000+ rounds
    ar15= 5000+ rounds
    SA 1911 Milspec 3000+ rounds

On topic. I would choose the Glock. It is the only one that I have Truly abused in daily carry. (back in the bouncing days) It's had beer, soda, water, smoke machine liquid, Drywall shavings, sawdust, sand, grass, gravel, fish guts, and almost every other imaginable substance that could possibly get on your pants thrown at it. It never malfunctioned for me once. I keep a cleaning kit in the car incase one of mine does get dropped in the mud.

Do I have the confidence that It would shoot if it had to? Absolutly. Would I knowingly carry a "dirty" weapon? Heck no. (that was beaten out of me as a younger child) :P

Looking forward to the day when I have the cash to purchase an XD just so I can give it a shot.

I vote Glock
    Great post. You'll not regret getting an XD. They are every bit as good as a Glock. Some of the older models (pre mid 06) did not have a great finish. Since mid or so 06 Springfield started finishing them with Melonite which is the same stuff Glock calls Tenifer that they use on the Glocks. The XD has also survived all the same kinds of torture tests the Glock Has been through. I like the XD line but I am a big time fan of the .45ACP XD's. I hope no one thinks I am a Glock basher or that I think the XD's are better than the Glocks. I believe very strongly that they are equals. As far as 9MM's go the Glock 17 is in my opinion the Best of the breed.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Been shooting/carrying since '57. Qual'd with and carried G 17 for years. Now retired - home/range/camper piece=XD45.
    EDC ccw Colt defender. 'nuff-said!
    g
    I.C.E.?? dial 1 911 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_America View Post
    I believe that is the whole point of this thread. I've never had to use HK's customer service because my USPc doesn't break. My brother-in-law has never had to use Sig's customer service because his 226 doesn't break. I hear all too often about lifetime warranties and great customer service (Kel-tec) but I hope I never have to use my warranty or customer service for any firearm I own. A firearm at the repair shop is useless for me.
    amen you've hit that nail on the haed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links