got a SW M&P45 today - initial experience

This is a discussion on got a SW M&P45 today - initial experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been wanting a .45 for some time, finally got one today, the Smith and Wesson M&P45. Someday maybe I'll move up to a tricked-out 1911, ...

Thread: got a SW M&P45 today - initial experience

Thumbs up got a SW M&P45 today - initial experience

Been wanting a .45 for some time, finally got one today, the Smith and Wesson M&P45.

Someday maybe I'll move up to a tricked-out 1911, maybe someday I'll even be good enough with a pistol to be able to take advantage of what a 1911 has to offer.

But, entry-level .45 and all, I figured to go with one of the standard probably poly-frame offerings. I reload and would like to shoot plain lead bullets for practice, so polygonal rifling pistols are out (Glock and HK for instance). Don't necessarily want this for CCW, just say for a nightstand gun and possibly CCW. So, doesn't have to be or need to be one of the really small .45s. I have a Kahr CW9 that I like, don't know about getting something that won't double as a range pistol too. The SW M&P45 is a double stack, but it's a pleasantly shaped and not too fat one, and fits in my IWB holster I occasionally carry a 9mm in.

I narrowed it down pretty much the Springfield Armory XD45 and the SW M&P45. Both seem fairly similar in operation (striker-fired DAOs) and size, and not too different in cost.

What finally did it for me was the feel of the SW M&P, it just felt natural, even better fitting in my hand than my old SW Model 3906. I liked the XD45, but truth be told it felt like a big lump of hard square plastic in my hand compared to the SW M&P45.

So, I got it today and put a box of .45 230grain FMJ through it. I needn't have worried about shooting 45 in a plastic framed pistol; the M&P for me anyway balances and fits perfectly. The felt recoil honestly was not any different to me than shooting my 9mm service size pistols, not bad in the slightest. Zero jams or malfunctions of any kind in the first 50 rounds of FMJ through it. It's as accurate as I am anyway, not that that's saying much but I can shoot at least as well with it as I can with my 9s. Nice crisp trigger on mine out of the box. I'll try a variety (well, at least some HPs and some more ball ammo) through it late this week when I get a chance.

By the way, another thing in S&W's favor is a promotion they have going now, until mid-july I think they'll send you two additional magazines for free with purchase of either a sigma or an M&P model pistol.

2. Remove Ads

Another new experience today - buying .45ammo!

How can anyone shoot .45 and NOT reload? My word, 300 rounds of the cheapest WWB ball ammo and a box of defensive HPs cost almost as much as a 1,000 round case of 9mm did a year or two ago! A set of 45 dies and components is next on my list all right.

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Been wanting a .45 for some time, finally got one today, the Smith and Wesson M&P45.

Someday maybe I'll move up to a tricked-out 1911, maybe someday I'll even be good enough with a pistol to be able to take advantage of what a 1911 has to offer.

But, entry-level .45 and all, I figured to go with one of the standard probably poly-frame offerings. I reload and would like to shoot plain lead bullets for practice, so polygonal rifling pistols are out (Glock and HK for instance). Don't necessarily want this for CCW, just say for a nightstand gun and possibly CCW. So, doesn't have to be or need to be one of the really small .45s. I have a Kahr CW9 that I like, don't know about getting something that won't double as a range pistol too. The SW M&P45 is a double stack, but it's a pleasantly shaped and not too fat one, and fits in my IWB holster I occasionally carry a 9mm in.

I narrowed it down pretty much the Springfield Armory XD45 and the SW M&P45. Both seem fairly similar in operation (striker-fired DAOs) and size, and not too different in cost.

What finally did it for me was the feel of the SW M&P, it just felt natural, even better fitting in my hand than my old SW Model 3906. I liked the XD45, but truth be told it felt like a big lump of hard square plastic in my hand compared to the SW M&P45.

So, I got it today and put a box of .45 230grain FMJ through it. I needn't have worried about shooting 45 in a plastic framed pistol; the M&P for me anyway balances and fits perfectly. The felt recoil honestly was not any different to me than shooting my 9mm service size pistols, not bad in the slightest. Zero jams or malfunctions of any kind in the first 50 rounds of FMJ through it. It's as accurate as I am anyway, not that that's saying much but I can shoot at least as well with it as I can with my 9s. Nice crisp trigger on mine out of the box. I'll try a variety (well, at least some HPs and some more ball ammo) through it late this week when I get a chance.

By the way, another thing in S&W's favor is a promotion they have going now, until mid-july I think they'll send you two additional magazines for free with purchase of either a sigma or an M&P model pistol.
    Congrats on the new acquistion! I had the pleasure of trying my friend's M&P .40 and it was a hoot, even for as light as it was the felt recoil was much less snappy than from my steel-framed .40 cal. Beretta 96 Centurion. I thought if the .40 is that good, the .45 must be even better. The palmswell grips just "fit, and very comfortably. It's definitely on my "short list" of future purchases.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Hey it sounds as if you really took to it right away. Congrats on the new pistol. I had looked at one awhile back, but as usual I ended up getting another 1911. When I told myself that I was going to get another pistol and not another 1911 at this time. I was looking at several and ended up putting a XD in layaway. They didn't have a M&P in stock to hold and compare. I remember it did feel good when I held one.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I've got the M&P9 and really like it. The .45 maybe next on my list.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Great to hear. Congrats!

Went and put another 100 FMJ (WWB 230grain cheapest stuff from Walmart) through it, and maybe 10-20 Winchester 230 JHP rounds also. No jams or failures; I was glad to see it fed the HP rounds fine whether they're at the top of a fully-loaded magazine or the last 2-3 rounds in the magazine. Little bit of stickiness while inserting magazines into the grip, but I'm still getting the feel of the pistol.

The M&P trigger is different from any of the others I have, and so I'm also getting used to what a proper 2 handed grip and trigger pull would be. The gun's as accurate as I am anyway. Shooting paper plates at 35 feet was a bit more humbling that shooting a 3/4 size man outline at 20', so I don't have any target pictures or pictures of my group to show.

The feel of the pistol is excellent, though. So far has gone bang every time the trigger was pulled with no jams or failures over about 160 rounds through it, and the felt recoil is not at all bad. This 45 feels about like shooting one of my 9mm pistols like my Ruger P85 or my SW 3906. My 357 snub-nose definitely kicks harder than this thing. I can't explain how a 29 oz (unloaded) M&P feels so light and slim with it's double-stacked 10 round magazine, but it does feel very light and slim even when loaded up. The M&P45 loaded with 10 rounds of .45ACP carries better IWB than does my very slim SW3906 which only holds 8 rounds of single-stack 9mm!

The M&P45 loaded with 10 rounds of .45ACP carries better IWB than does my very slim SW3906 which only holds 8 rounds of single-stack 9mm!
    Glad to see the M&P is getting good reviews! I looked at an M&P .40 for the longest time but opted for the Glock 23 in the end. I still may go for an M&P .45 down the road.

Funny, I had the same experience with my G23. It feels lighter and carries better than my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Maybe it's a mind thing......

I have heard from several people who have bought these guns and all seem to really like them.

I had not heard of the promotion that S&W is offering 2 free mags with the purchase of the gun. That sweetens the pot a good bit.

I will have to save some money up if I want to get one of these....and I do want one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

*hijack alert*
    Anybody here compare a SW M&P .40 and a G23? Just wondering.......
    *false alarm...back to the thread*

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I don't think you necessarily need to consider the M&P 45 as a stepping stone to a 1911.

The 1911 is not the end-all be-all of defensive handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    I don't think you necessarily need to consider the M&P 45 as a stepping stone to a 1911.

I agree. It costs big bucks IMO to even get a 1911 running reliably. While they are a superb defensive tool when done properly, the end result is too expensive for me to then risk carry it. Carry guns tend to get beaten up, and if you actually need to use it, will be confiscated into evidence. I cannot bear to think about either happening to a $3000 pistol...

I'm still looking for the perfect .45 - please keep us updated on the 'Smith. I'd like to know more from someone who has first hand experience with one. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post

say it ain't so!
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Links