Wally World BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Wally World BS!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This must be a regional thing. The Wal-Mart stores in Montana don't ask any questions when you buy ammo....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wally World BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

1943 - 2009
    This must be a regional thing.

The Wal-Mart stores in Montana don't ask any questions when you buy ammo.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    Went to the local Wally World to get some 45acp,they asked for my pistol permit,what the hell is this BS.
    The last time I bought handgun ammo at sprawlmart (in Florida), back in mid April, I was not asked for any identification. Seems like a NY thing. Is it also the case that the handguns you own are typed onto your permit? Or is that just the way it was on Long Island when I lived there? I never found out if it was that way outside of Suffolk county.

Get used to it or change it or move, dude. The gun laws in NY SUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Doesn't NY require a permit just to own the pistol? If so, that would explain why you need to show a permit to buy pistol ammo. Of course, the answer about it being for a Carbine will always work. I've seen pictures of an AR chambered in 32 ACP, so any other pistol ammo could be as well.
    That doesn't explain squat, since as you pointed out, you need a permit to buy a PISTOL. The law doesn't say that you need a permit to buy AMMO -- and even if you don't have a pistol, never did, and never will, you are still free to buy all the AMMO you want!

Why would you say "that would explain" it?

Because you need a permit in NY just to touch a pistol. If you don't have a permit, what are you doing buying ammo?

I don't believe with the logic, but that is the logic.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    I just tell 'em, "The problem at any WM near me is actually FINDING the employee that is supposed to be in sporting goods.
    Most of the time, I've had good luck. One time, however, I waited about 10 minutes (and looked around for him/her) before I reached over the counter, picked up the phone and called for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The law doesn't say that you need a permit to buy AMMO
    actually it sort of does say this and this is the reason that many retailers won't sell "pistol" ammo without a pistol permit. Legally they are just trying to cover themselves, and I think they are going a bit too far, but there interpretation of section 270.00 of the NYS penal law is that it is illegal to sell pistol ammunition to anyone without a pistol permit. In fact what it says is:
    5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
    section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
    ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
    person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
    of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
    so in some instances it may be illegal to sell someone pistol ammunition without a pistol permit...in most instances it would not be though since many common pistol calibers are not designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver. Though walmart does know one thing...don't try to put anything past a NYS DA

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Because you need a permit in NY just to touch a pistol. If you don't have a permit, what are you doing buying ammo?

I don't believe with the logic, but that is the logic.
    It still does not explain why it should be reasonable for someone to withhold ammunition from someone until he presents a pistol permit!

- Can you cite a part of the law that says "you need a permit in NY just to touch a pistol"?

- What if it's a husband who has no permit, wants to buy some 9mm for his wife's birthday because she does have a permit?

- What if it's for a pistol caliber carbine, for which no permit is required?

I'm not saying that you are saying you agree with the logic, but you are granting it validity that it really doesn't have, it seems to me.

Just say it is for a rifle! Then no reason to look at an ID.

I do that when I buy 9 or 40 there when I have to.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    actually it sort of does say this ...

so in some instances it may be illegal to sell someone pistol ammunition without a pistol permit...in most instances it would not be though since many common pistol calibers are not designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver. Though walmart does know one thing...don't try to put anything past a NYS DA
    The way I read that -- and it is EXPLICIT in the wording -- is that the retailer can't sell ammo to a non-permit holder IF THAT AMMO IS AMMO THAT CAN BE USED EXCLUSIVELY IN PISTOLS. I can't think of many pistol calibers that are not also used in carbines. There's 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .22LR ... All of those common "pistol" calibers can be commonly used in long guns of some sort, exempting them from the "exclusively" stipulation in the black-and-white of the law you cited.

Based on the wording of the law, if you can demonstrate (as you easily can) that the ammunition you want to buy is not "designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver," then you should be allowed to purchase it. After all, unless they can read your mind, how do they know you are not going to use it in a rifle or carbine? Must you bring the gun with you into the store to prove it to them??

Quote Originally Posted by ncffp163 View Post
    What I want to know is...what difference does it make whether its for pistol or rifle?? Wallyworld asks that stupid question here too.
    In the Great State of Missouri you must be 18yo to buy rifle ammo and 21 for pistol. The morons don't realize that many calibers are interchangeable between rifle and pistol.

Shhh don't tell anyone before they come up w/ another stupid anti-gun / ammo law.

Seems like the easiest way to handle this is to encourage politicians to run against the Bloombergs that continually plague your state, and put laws in place that make sense.

Ok, off the soapbox again.

I know that it might not seem right, but if you do have the permit to carry a gun, they are not denying you the ability to purchase ammunition, they just would like to cover themselves by ensuring that they are selling ammunition to people that are allowed to purchase them.

To me it is a cost of living under the burden of laws that don't make any sense.

I buy 9mm and .40 at Dick's in Glens Falls and nobody asks for anything but money...

I buy 9mm and 45acp's at the walmart in warren michigan and have never been asked any questions other than "do you want to pay back here or up front"?

The only time I was at Dick's, you couldn't find an employee. There are good and bad experiences everywhere.

NYS requires a permit to even handle a gun. You can't look at one in a store without it. Last time I ever stopped in a gun store in that state. (I have a habit of stopping at any motorcycle shop/gun store I pass when I'm travelling casually.) They balme Virginia for all their gun violence and do their best to keep their public disarmed.

It could be worse, in New Jersey you have to show your permit to buy ammo and then they have to record each box and caliber you buy. I'm not sure what they do with the list, but if you bought .45ACP and you only "officially" own a 9mm I wouldn't be surprised if you got a visit from the Troopers.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links