Glock-a-boom

This is a discussion on Glock-a-boom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 Happens in every gun from every manufacturur. I see more guys in matches having Malfunctions and parts breaking with 1911's then ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock-a-boom

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Happens in every gun from every manufacturur.

I see more guys in matches having Malfunctions and parts breaking with 1911's then any other pistol. 3 guys last night had misfires and malfunctions last night in a IDPA match I shot in.

My buddy split the frame last night on a 1911 he just got.
    After 8 shots. No Kaboom no bad loads just cracked right next to the beaver tail safety.
    I've heard of several splits also. But they were right out on the end of the slide next to the barrel bushing.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Any gun can Kb. Not sure the gunzone is a unbiased place to research Kb's. I had a Taurus PT 140 Kb. badly. Luckily , I got a few small cuts only.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Maybe I overlooked it above, so again ask the question, "Was this a factory load or one that he loaded?"

It seems when I read about these kaboom events the fault rests with the load, not with the barrel or any other component of the Glock. Right?
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I see very little to blame on Glock here, I wouldn't blame Glock if my G34 kaboomed, I would look into the variables first before addressing something as constant as the Glock product.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Jimmy it appears to be a factory squib load, followed by a nice second shot.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Since I carry a Glock 23, also a .40 cal, this is one of the things that worries me in the back of my mind. I am very aware of the KaBoom! problem so I have a system that might cut down on this happening to me.

If I have a fail to feed or a round that does not cycle the slide fully I will not simply clear the malfunction as you might with a lot of other guns. I will clear it, drop the mag, lock the slide open and make 100% sure that there is nothing obstructing the tube.

I say "I will" because so far, I have had exactly no problems of any kind with this gun functioning. None, zip, zilch, nada.

The only "problem" this gun has ever exhibited is its decided dislike for having the magazines fully loaded with all 13 rounds. With 13 in the mag it is very hard to get the mag to seat all the way and for the mag release to click into place. So, I just down load by one round. I don't mind that much.
    That is odd. I have several 13 and 15 round mags for my G23 and I am able to fully load all of them. No problems.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Not sure the gunzone is a unbiased place to research Kb's.
    That's for sure.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have read this whole thread and I have a couple of questions?

First I am new to Glocks. I have a 23 and a 35. I also have KKM's barrels for both. I have them in both 40 and 357 Sig.

If this is common problem in 40 cal's, should I just switch them over and leave them in 357 Sigs???

From what I'm reading it's not the firearm, it's the caliber that's the problem.

Thanks in adavance,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    If this is common problem in 40 cal's, should I just switch them over and leave them in 357 Sigs???
    I don't know if that particular switch would help. A big part of the reason that kBs are more common in .40 S&W is that it's a relatively high pressure cartridge. The .357 SIG produces even higher pressure than the .40 (though the brass is beefed up to help withstand it).

JD
    Administrator

Question

I have read this whole thread and I have a couple of questions?

First I am new to Glocks. I have a 23 and a 35. I also have KKM's barrels for both. I have them in both 40 and 357 Sig.

From what I'm reading it's not the firearm, it's the caliber that's the problem.

Thanks in adavance,

Brian

Could someone more in the know than I go over the unsupported chamber thing?

A stock glock barrel is reamed pretty large in the chamber area to make sure the rounds will feed no matter what,,

By doing this you leave a large part rear of the case unsupported so as you fire the pressure has to go somewhere and it expands the brass and you get glock belly or guppy belly the case looks like it is pregnant at the 6 o'clock position as it comes out of the barrel

this is mostly with 40-cal as it is running on the ragged edge pressure wise in factory form ..

a fully supported barrel like a KKM bar sto or firedragon efk will have full case head support so that the guppy belly should not be a problem but you sacrifice some reliability in the gun since it will no long feed out of spec ammo which is why the barrel was hogged out so bad in the first place..

Also see 38 super it had the same problem when people were trying to load nuclear rounds in it when they went to fully supported and ramped barrels the problem pretty much went away

Also set back plays a big part in Ka booms with the 40 a couple thousands of a inch is enough to drive the pressure way over Saami Limits and blow a barrel ..

If you carry a 40 and load or unload often consider the bullet in the chamber unsafe after 2 loadings maybe 3 I have seen set back in a 40 on the first loading ..

Different ammo makers have different rates of setback

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Thanks for the info as I do have a G23, I have the .357sig barrel in it most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    fired out of battery ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    A stock glock barrel is reamed pretty large in the chamber area to make sure the rounds will feed no matter what,,

By doing this you leave a large part rear of the case unsupported so as you fire the pressure has to go somewhere and it expands the brass and you get glock belly or guppy belly the case looks like it is pregnant at the 6 o'clock position as it comes out of the barrel

this is mostly with 40-cal as it is running on the ragged edge pressure wise in factory form ..

a fully supported barrel like a KKM bar sto or firedragon efk will have full case head support so that the guppy belly should not be a problem but you sacrifice some reliability in the gun since it will no long feed out of spec ammo which is why the barrel was hogged out so bad in the first place..

Also see 38 super it had the same problem when people were trying to load nuclear rounds in it when they went to fully supported and ramped barrels the problem pretty much went away
    Bud, I believe you are correct with your assessment of this Ka-Boom. IMHO, this is a design flaw that should have been addressed by Glock after the first happening.

JT
    Technically, most chambers are not “fully supported”. Many "fully supported" chambers are just “more supported”. And as for Glock, their .40 barrels have more support than they did originally. I have a G23 I bought in the early 90’s, and I have a Glock .40 barrel that I bought a few years ago, and you can clearly see a difference. Personally, I have no worries about either one, because I only shoot quality commercial ammo in them.

I have never had a problem with a Glock .40 barrel, but if it is does concern you, you may want to go with the .357. They are both high pressure rounds, but the .357 chambers have more support. Due to the bottle neck design they can have more support without sacrificing reliability.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links