CCW suggestions for a disabled woman?

This is a discussion on CCW suggestions for a disabled woman? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was assisting on the range during a SC CWP class this weekend for women and one of the ladies has rheumatoid arthritis in her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW suggestions for a disabled woman?

CCW suggestions for a disabled woman?

I was assisting on the range during a SC CWP class this weekend for women and one of the ladies has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands.

Because of the arthritis and apparently many surgeries to her fingers, her fingers appear to be very short compaired to her palm size.

She brought a J-frame Smith .38 snubby, and was having a terrible time on the timed qualifications. Apparently, when she draws, she has to readjust her grip to get her finger to the trigger, and then she has to use her other hand and index finger to assist in pulling the trigger in double action because of hand weakness.

Obviously, she couldn't qualify.

I'm asking if you have any suggestions for small grip frame (very small) as well as a shorter distance between the backstrap and the trigger than the J-frame.

Lightening the trigger is one option, but it doesn't fix the (OK, I'm going to my shotgun terminology here since I'm not familiar with a handgun term) for "length of pull." Even if we send it to the custom shop, they said they could only get the pull down to about 9lbs.

I'm a little concerned she wouldn't be able to pull the slide back on most autos for the qualifications. I thought about a Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP, but their "length of pull" is about the same as her J-frame, the trigger pull was actually pretty heavy and the grip is pretty wide.

I'm eager to hear your suggestions.

Just because a person has a disability, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to protect themselves.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

2. Remove Ads

I wish I had some useful advice, but I don't. I just wanted to give you an atta-boy for trying to help. Please don't give up easily on this woman. She does deserve to protect herself(and is probably a bigger target than you or I). There's gotta be an doable option out there, hopefully affordably.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Luckily, she's married to a doctor, so she has some resources, if we find one that will work for her.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

Lead Moderator
    9mm 1911? Or perhaps a .380 Mustang?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Does the J-Frame has an exposed hammer she could cock manually before evey shot? It would take some practice (as the J-Frame would be utilized in the single action mode only), but I'm certain that, given the situation, firing would be easier on the injured finger (when compared to double action shooting).

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    One of the little Kel Tecs with some trigger work may be what you are looking for. I am sure there is someone around that could do some smith work and make the trigger pull better for her. Just a thought.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Administrator
    I'd stick with a J frame, and go with the old school thin wood grips. I have a hard time believing that the trigger could only be brought down to 9#. I think the lady smith j frame is lighter than that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think I'd vote for a "J" frame too and the trigger job isn't a bad idea.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Walther P22 or PPK/s Not great self defense calibers, but they will work, they are small, light trigger pulls and light slide pulls.

Colt .380 Mustang
    S&W 9mm ladysmith
    S&W 36LS
    S&W 642LS

Is cycling the slide required on a semi-auto for qualification? If so, is she push cycle it against a hard object or hook it on a belt?

The small keltecs have both a hard slide pull and very long trigger pulls.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Not the best for defensive carry but in her case what about a North American Arms .22 Black Widow

http://www.naaminis.com/bwmm.html

glembe beat me to it. If she can handle pulling back the hammer on a Black Widow it might work for her. The down side is caliber and the lengthy reload time but it would beat a sharp stick!

If she can handle the slide pull a Mustang could probably be set up with a shortened light trigger.

A good starting point might be a call to a really good custom gunsmith who will know the limitations of what models can be modified how. For snubby work maybe a call to Gemini Customs. They know alot more than just SP101's!

http://www.geminicustoms.com/
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubMOA View Post
    Just because a person has a disability, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to protect themselves.

I'm glad to see you say that. I feel the same way. I feel that every person should be able to decide to carry a gun for defense, even if that person might be able to manage only one shot with it.

It sounds like this woman needs a helmet-directed fire system and a 20 mm cannon like Roy Scheider had in "Blue Thunder"!

It must have been terribly disappointing to her, and to you, for her to not qualify.

I think Florida's got it right: you demonstrate knowledge of the laws pertaining to use of deadly force. The rest is up to you, including the decision to arm, and what with.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    What about a Beretta Bobcat in .25? It's better than nothing, pretty diminutive, and can be loaded and readied to fire by using the tip-up barrel rather than racking the slide.

To the suggestion of a PPK: I have one, and it's not a gun that someone with arthritic hands is going to be able to easily operate. That's a pretty stiff action.

But a Bobcat, you just pop in a magazine, tip up the barrel, drop in a round, click it down, and pull the hammer back! Rock and roll!

That little NAA might work...small enough...and like ElCruisr said...better than a sharp stick...

I have one, and that little fella could back up a BG...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Kel Tec P3AT has a very short length of pull and the trigger is very light. It kicks kind of hard, but if she can hang onto it it actually has quite a bit of power for being so little.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links