My new safe queen..and a my story

This is a discussion on My new safe queen..and a my story within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I finally got to liberate my favorite Colt back from my dad. It's taken me over a year to close the deal. Like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last night I finally got to liberate my favorite Colt back from my dad. It's taken me over a year to close the deal. Like most of my guns, this one has a story. If you have some time please read the story.

Since I was a little kid I always wanted a .38 super like my dad. He had many very nice guns when I was growing up and I wouldn't learn until later what building a collection was like. He taught me everything about the stuff. Shooting for distance,double taps, cleaning and of course safety. I was blessed with the love of firearms from a very young age. At 10 he bought me a Rough Rider .22/mag combo. I was respectful and grateful ...but I hated it. He had big .45s with lots of rounds and here I am with a single action .22. I wanted a big gun too! Finally I got up the nerve to ask him politely about my revolver. His response "when you master that i'll buy you a bigger one" He always let me shoot his stuff but It wasn't "mine". So I did. We shot weekly and I put thousands of rounds through that little gun. Later I moved up but wanting to be like my dad always stuck with me. Fast forward to 2001 and to no surprise I'm a 1911 guy and I have a small collection at age 21. Every time I stopped at a gun store the first thing from my mouth was "got anything in 38 super?" Well I got some weird looks from some folks wondering why some kid wanted a caliber no one had even mentioned in 20 years. Some people didn't even now what it was. One day after work I stop at gun store on my way home that I had never been to. I asked about 38 supers and the woman behind the counter said she had a couple in the back room. She came out with 2 Limited Edition Colts. One I don't remember but the other one was an " El Rey" I had never heard of them before but I was in love. The price was $1100.00. There was no way I could afford that. She was very nice and mentioned she had lay-a-way and I could make payments. I gave her 100.00 down which was pretty much all the money I had. I was working at a Chevy dealer at the time and not making a whole lot of money selling cars. For the next 3 months all the spare food and bar money I had went towards the gun. I still shot with my dad but never mentioned it to him. He would have loaned me the money in a second but I kinda wanted to surprise him. The day I picked it up I took it to his house and we both held it for a while and drooled. He shocked me by saying "you aren't actually gonna shoot it are you?" Well h*ll yea I am. What do I need a safe queen for ? I don't even own a safe ! Finally he talked me out of it. Months later I had car trouble and needed a car way more than I needed a gun I didn't shoot. My dad quickly offered me his RX-7 for it. It was a great deal for me and the car was worth way more than the gun. He of course knew that and wanted to help me out. This Colt had sat in his house unfired until last night. We made a deal this time that was fair for both of us. He knows I won't shoot it , it stays in the family and my collection just became smaller from the stuff I had to trade him just to pry it away.

From the information we got over the years Colt made a few limited runs of special stuff. This is 1 of 350. Some went to Lew Horton while others came from Colt's custom shop. This gun seems to be both. I've contacted Colt and they say it's a custom shop gun. I contacted Lew and they say it's one of theirs. Either way all is right in my world again. I won't go into all the details about it. The 1911 guys here (and Lima) will sure know as much about it as I do. Anyone owning an "El" series gun please speak up. Sorry the story was so long but this one is more than just another gun to me.
    Attached Images
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Very nice cool story

That is one sweeet looking pistol! Some day I hope to get something like that I can pass on to my youngest.

Assistant Administrator
    Great story - I confess to knowing little at all about ''EL'' series 1911's but it sure looks sweet.

Biggest thing of all is you having a great Dad it seems - treasure that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Beautiful firearm,

and a very interesting story to go with it.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    That is one beautiful pistol. I'm glad your dad and you worked it out where you could keep it.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Absolutely gorgeous. It's a damn shame to have to hide that beauty away... why not get a nice custom bit of leather, done up nice - scroll work, et cetera - and show 'er off for BBQ and special occasions.

I haven't trained with this gun. Knowing that it's never been proven, that would be the one time in my life I really need it. But it would be nice to show it off.

Clint Smith

Great gun and a great story.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Talking Love is a many splendered thing

It brings a tear to my eye whenever a long lost love is reunited. Beautiful weapon. Love her, take care of her, and NEVER EVER GIVE HER UP AGAIN. You let her go again I will personally come to you and explain the error of your ways to you. LOL. Unless of course you give her to me. LOL. Once again, magnificent weapon. Be very proud.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

With respect;
    Having a firearm that one does' not shoot because it is too "beautiful or collectible"
    Is kind'a like having a wife that remains a virgin 'cause she's too beautiful or collectible.'

Very nice Colt. and a great story too. Though (don't take this as a flame, cause it's just a suggestion) it would be easier to read if you'd use that enter button every once in a while to break it up into paragraphs. Just a suggestion to help those of us with older eyes to read your story. I kept getting the line confused. Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, it's funny you posted this today, becuase I went to the gun shop this afternoon and lo and behold they actually had some 38 super ammo in stock, so I picked up a hundred rounds for mine.

Unfortuantley mine isn't nearly as nice as yours, and cannot garner safe queen stauts, so I have to shoot it every now and then.

Anyway, congrats on the great gun and even more important congrats on having a great Dad. Cherish them both, and they'll never let you down.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

A great story about you and your dad. This is my first fathers day since my dad died last September.

Enjoy your gun, but cherish your time and honor his wishes.

John

Thanks for all the great comments guys.

Storm: The only way it'll leave me now is if my dad ever wanted it back.

Velocette: The way it looks doesn't matter to me anymore. Nor the fact that the first time I pull the trigger the value will drop by a few hundred dollars. It's like a perfect game going in baseball. You don't sub anyone after 7 innings. If i shoot it i can never make it new again. I have other 38 supers and plenty of handguns to shoot. This one is something I plan on keeping.

Don't worry Sarge I'm one of the ones with thick skin here. LOL I'll try to break up the lines next time.

I'm really surprised that noone here has an "El" series guns.

Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links