Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun? - Page 2

Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun?

This is a discussion on Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whatever part it is that the ATF considers the gun....

View Poll Results: What do you consider the arcane "heart" of a gun?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Barrel

10 15.63%
  • The Trigger

14 21.88%
  • The Grip/Frame

10 15.63%
  • The Slide

4 6.25%
  • The Firing Pin / Striker

10 15.63%
  • Something not listed (please specify in your post)

16 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun?

Senior Moderator
    Whatever part it is that the ATF considers the gun.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

You are the heart of that gun

The gun is just an inert lump until YOU give it 'life'.......good....bad.....or otherwise.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

To me a trigger is like the speakers of a stereo or the tires on a sports car - it can make or break the entire performance.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I said frame because it has the serial number. Other than that I agree with the majority on this as well - nothing works without the other parts. I would have chosen the chamber if it was an option I think, since that's where it all happens.

Austin

Cartridge. Projectile, primer, and powder... all-in-one.

Think outside the box. Plenty of cannons were made without springs/receivers/triggers of any sorts, and they're just as much a "gun" as any 1911.

Of course, without a barrel, you dont have a gun... you have a bomb.

Which wing on an airplane is more important? (F-15s not included)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Thumper FTW.

They are paperweights until we pick them up and operate them.
    +1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It's a tool, it no more has a heart than my screwdriver does, arcane or otherwise.

Not much superfluous material on guns, not many unnecessary parts, so nothing is really more essential than the rest.

If analogized to 'what pumps the blood around a gun?' then it would still be without answer.

You're anthropomorphizing your guns, be careful with that, before you know it you'll be tucking them into bed.
    Bingo! ^^

The 'heart' of any firearm is the mindset of the operator that commands the finger which pulls it's trigger.

But to play along if forced to pick one item I'd say it's the fire control system e.g. the trigger.
    Without a trigger pull to set things in motion all the other parts are nothing more than food for rust.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I voted for the grip/frame. I agree with other posters that it's a combination. The grip is where I'm attached so to speak, some guns feel right and others don't at least to me. I'd add that trigger pull is a big deal also.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The internal lock.

You're anthropomorphizing your guns, be careful with that, before you know it you'll be tucking them into bed.
    What's wrong with tucking them into bed? I mean.. sure the lullaby might be going a little overboard, but I want my baby to sleep tight at night...

I voted for the trigger.. in my mind that's the heart of the weapon.. no trigger, no "life"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's a tool, it no more has a heart than my screwdriver does, arcane or otherwise.

Not much superfluous material on guns, not many unnecessary parts, so nothing is really more essential than the rest.

If analogized to 'what pumps the blood around a gun?' then it would still be without answer.

No, and no. Don't worry, there's no need to fear I'm anthropomorphizing my guns; and I'm far from treating them like they're alive. And I know there's no blood to be pumped. It's even less answerable than, "What's the 'heart' of your car?'"

But I still feel that some people might view there to be a sort of "heart" to their guns. Look, there have been responses, right? It appears that in some way, people find this answerable. I'm a bit suprised at the distribution of the responses, I'll admit.

I'm still going with "barrel." I didn't mean for people to take the question to be asking which part is the most important, because I am right there with you when it comes to saying, "The gun needs ALL its parts or it simply won't work. They don't design vestigial parts into machines." That's correct.

I was going for an ethereal thing, not a literal thing. Maybe I wasn't clear enough at first, but I did clarify in post #4...
    It was more about what symbolizes what a gun does, to you. So I expected more a split between Barrel and Trigger, but hey; to each, his own.
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; June 15th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

The whole concept is akin to saying that guns are responsible for shooting, it is the operator that operates the tool. The gun did not just 'go off', it was used, either negligently or with intent, but it was used.

Guns are inanimate objects. As are cars, I don't see the engine as the heart of my car. But I do see the 'heart' as the heart of my dog.

We are comparing apples with oranges, or something even less related.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Which wing on an airplane is more important? (F-15s not included)
    The one that's stalled and sending you into the spin.

Get on that rudder, boy!

The whole concept is akin to saying that guns are responsible for shooting, it is the operator that operates the tool. The gun did not just 'go off', it was used, either negligently or with intent, but it was used.

Guns are inanimate objects.
    0.02, give me some credit, here! If you're read even 50 of my 1800+ posts (is it that much already? I just got here!) you know that I am staunchly pro-gun, staunchly pro-individual-responsibility, and don't go in whatsoever for the "the gun just went off" crap. Come on, this has nothing to do with that in the slightest! It's just for a goof. "What do you think of as the symbolic 'heart' of a gun?" I didn't say, "What do you think makes a gun autonomous?"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links