Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun?

This is a discussion on Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just browsing online for replacement GLOCK barrels, and the fact that they can cost anywhere from about $120 to as much or more ...

View Poll Results: What do you consider the arcane "heart" of a gun?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Barrel

10 15.63%
  • The Trigger

14 21.88%
  • The Grip/Frame

10 15.63%
  • The Slide

4 6.25%
  • The Firing Pin / Striker

10 15.63%
  • Something not listed (please specify in your post)

16 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Which part do you consider to be the arcane "heart" of a gun?

I was just browsing online for replacement GLOCK barrels, and the fact that they can cost anywhere from about $120 to as much or more than a stock GLOCK itself made me think: "Well, the barrel is pretty much the 'heart' of the gun, so yeah, it'll be expensive."

But is it?

What do you think? What's the "heart" of the gun? The barrel? The trigger? The grip/frame? The slide? The firing pin/striker? Something else?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    For my plug nickle it is the firing system. Otherwise all you have is a metal straw. Granted I realize with out the barrel all you have is an explosion.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    You should be able to grab a best quality Match Grade barrel for your Glock for 150.00 or thereabouts.
    EFK Firedragon puts out a great Glock barrel.

https://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=43
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I said "arcane" heart of the gun, meaning in a kind of spiritual, symbolic sense. I never meant to suggest that any one part is worth any more to the actual functioning of the gun. Try using the gun without a recoil spring. Sure, you've turned it into a single shot. I suppose that's less necessary than the striker, since without the striker you wouldn't even get one shot.

But what I meant was to get a sense of what people think is the mystic focus of what a gun is about. For me, it's the barrel that delivers the bullet.

It's a tool, it no more has a heart than my screwdriver does, arcane or otherwise.

Not much superfluous material on guns, not many unnecessary parts, so nothing is really more essential than the rest.

If analogized to 'what pumps the blood around a gun?' then it would still be without answer.

You're anthropomorphizing your guns, be careful with that, before you know it you'll be tucking them into bed.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It's a tool, it no more has a heart than my screwdriver does, arcane or otherwise.

Not much superfluous material on guns, not many unnecessary parts, so nothing is really more essential than the rest.

If analogized to 'what pumps the blood around a gun?' then it would still be without answer.

You're anthropomorphizing your guns, be careful with that, before you know it you'll be tucking them into bed.
    +1

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    I think the heart of any firearm is the person holding it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a friendly cuddle with a pistol! Nothing!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I think the heart of any firearm is the person holding it!
    Thumper FTW.

They are paperweights until we pick them up and operate them.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Mainspring, I guess. If you want to look outside the gun a little, I'd say it's the cartridge. Without that, the gun is just an empty husk. The cartridge does all the work in a gun, propelling the projectile, and storing the energy in the mainspring to fire the next shot.
    Last edited by Chooie; June 15th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

JD
    Administrator
    There is no ONE part that makes the gun.

I'd have to go with a combination of magzine, action(feeding and cycling) and trigger group to name a few.

It's amazing how may people over look the mags in autos, so simple yet can cause soooo many problems.

A system of parts working together

I have heard discussions about which part of the human body is the most important. You can make an argument for the heart, the brain, the skeleton, the liver, etc. The fact is that the body is a system of important parts working together, and the lack of one part can quickly lead to failure of the entire system.

A gun is a similar system that needs all its parts working together to function as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have heard discussions about which part of the human body is the most important. You can make an argument for the heart, the brain, the skeleton, the liver, etc. The fact is that the body is a system of important parts working together, and the lack of one part can quickly lead to failure of the entire system.

A gun is a similar system that needs all its parts working together to function as intended.
    This sums it up very well.

At first glance of the OP, I was thinking "The frame. Without a solid foundation a house cannot stand." Then it dawned on me (as pogo put it) that we are looking at a system. If you take one thing out of a firearm, be it a revolver or auto, they simply will not function as intended, and ultimately result in failure.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

Great analogy but only true to a point, there is one critical part of the human and that is an oxygenated brain. There is only one cause of death - lack of oxygen to the brain. Everything else is just a cause of that.

You can survive anything else, maybe not with your full capacity to enjoy life but you will exist. But once you shut off the oxygen to the brain you are clinically dead.

Guns do not have a 'death'.

Assistant Administrator
    The gun is the sum of parts - no one being ''superior'' as, if missing, the system is still compromized.

I have often made a point about springs - an oft forgotten component in a gun - but no springs - no operational gun!!! The humble spring is easily taken for granted - even the smallest that does no more than return trigger to reset.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links