who has xs sights?

This is a discussion on who has xs sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just wondering who has xs sights on their weapon? i am considering upgrading my factory sights. i would like to hear some reviews from those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who has xs sights?

Question who has xs sights?

just wondering who has xs sights on their weapon? i am considering upgrading my factory sights. i would like to hear some reviews from those of you that have tried them. i am looking for night sights for my everyday carry. i am not sold on the xs system yet, so any advice/recommendations are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

This has come up in two threads quite recently.

Regular
    Big dot

Administrator
    I had the big dots for a short time, they do work as promised. I just didnt like the fact that I gave up precision to be quick.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had the big dots for a short time, they do work as promised. I just didnt like the fact that I gave up precision to be quick.
    Let us not forget that the only precision aiming device is behind your eyes.

Any MLB pitcher can hit you in the head, over and over, with a three inch projectile, from 20yds, at 90-100mph. He can do this without the use of propellants, or sights.

I have personally seen a guy, using a Browning High Power, hit a 12" steel plate, without missing, as many times as he wants, at 100yds with NO sights at all. He can also do this, rapid fire, at 25yds, all day long.

For those who can shoot, the XS is a great tool. For those who can't, it wont help you get better.

As always, just my .02. YMMV.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Let us not forget that the only precision aiming device is behind your eyes.

Any MLB pitcher can hit you in the head, over and over, with a three inch projectile, from 20yds, at 90-100mph. He can do this without the use of propellants, or sights.

I have personally seen a guy, using a Browning High Power, hit a 12" steel plate, without missing, as many times as he wants, at 100yds with NO sights at all. He can also do this, rapid fire, at 25yds, all day long.

For those who can shoot, the XS is a great tool. For those who can't, it wont help you get better.

As always, just my .02. YMMV.
    Exactly my point... it will improve your sight speed, but thats it. If you read a few old threads, I am a big fan of point shooting and keep a few G19's handy with no sights to prove that it works just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    +1

If you're skilled then get them, you will lose some precision. That's okay though. Go Big Dot tritium...I got them on my G27 and love them.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

i have them on my g23 ... but i'm probably going to switch them out for a set of these which look like the perfect compromise between speed and precision.

i'm sure someone will chime in with the tactical response video ... meanwhile i'll try to find it.

ETA - here it is

JD
    Administrator
    I like them, I tend to agree with Sixto, I've lost a little precision, but I'm still getting used to them, if I were an LEO were more precise shot placement may be needed, I'd go with something else, but my opinion may change on that later down the road.

For an every day carry gun, I think they're fine, I don't foresee me getting into any hostage situations where I'd be trying to make a precision pistol shot....that would be scary with any pistol IMHO.

Personally I think TFOs are the way to go...but thats just me.

I have had some experience with strait eights and I just prefer the three dots. Though I have to admit I have not tried XS sights.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Ok, so far I love my XS Big Dots... They are lightning fast and accurate for defensive shooting. I also have middle aged eyes and was reading that a vertical alignment for sights is quicker for the brain to line up than a 3 dot horizontal sight system. So far, I am finding this to be true.

I brought a friend with me when I went to pick up my XD9sc from the gunshop. I had the XS Big Dots installed at the factory and my friend was impressed how fast I was with the first 300 rounds right out of the box on a new gun with a new type of sights. (Hell, I was stunned)

Probably the biggest thing that matters is being the first to hit the target in a gunfight. I got them for my sub compact BUG so that is what they are intended for. Helping me hit COM 1st and fastest! (Tight groups COM or 3 in the eye socket aren't as important as long as all the rounds stay inside those target areas)

My primary gun still has 3 dot mepro's so I do have that for precision if called for.

As the tritium wears down it's intensity on my primary gun, I will be getting time in on the Big Dot's. If I can be accurate out to 60-70 yrds with practice on the Big Dot's, I'll be putting them on the primary G-23 in a year or so when I replace the mepro's.
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 16th, 2007 at 04:20 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I had a big dot tritium front sight with a ghost ring rear sight on my old Glock 21 (Sold it to my cousin). They worked great. They weren't precision sights, but they're not supposed to be. If I need a precision shot, the AR comes out.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

There's also a video floating around showing a guy shooting Big Dot's at 100 yards and hitting steel targets. I suppose it's all in the amount of practice. He was even facing away from the target, bending over and shooting between his legs.

If I can find it, I'll post it here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    There's also a video floating around showing a guy shooting Big Dot's at 100 yards and hitting steel targets. I suppose it's all in the amount of practice. He was even facing away from the target, bending over and shooting between his legs.

If I can find it, I'll post it here.
    for the video, check my post above

I've got the big-dots, love 'em, and highly recommend them.

I don't really think that you give up much in the way of precision and you'll definately see an increase in speed.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have XS Big Dots on my XD9sc. I have always performed horribly with 3-dot sighting systems so after doing a good deal of research I settled on the XS BDs.
    I love them and for self defense range (9'-15') I perform much better and faster than I ever could with the stock sights. I looked into several of the fiber optic style sights but preferred the simplicity of the XSs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links