Standard DAO to a 1911 Style

This is a discussion on Standard DAO to a 1911 Style within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a long time I have been wanting a Kimber. I have held a few, and LOVE the way they feel in my hand. I ...

Thread: Standard DAO to a 1911 Style

Standard DAO to a 1911 Style

For a long time I have been wanting a Kimber. I have held a few, and LOVE the way they feel in my hand. I have read many great reviews on Kimbers, even outside of this forum. And I know that this is not that important, but they are BEAUTIFUL to the eye as well.

Here is why I have not purchased one yet. I have been carrying Glocks (19,17,23) as duty weapons for over 11 years now (LEO). My off-duty guns have been S&W revolvers, Glocks, Kahrs, Kel-tecs, Sigs and Berettas. All of these have been SA/DA or DAO. But I have never used a manual safety before. I am afraid that if the SHTF and I draw a Kimber that I may not disengage the safety and end up in the ground. I would not want to carry it any other way than cocked and locked.

I pose a question to those who have went from DAO to a 1911 style pistol. Was it hard to get used to using a manual safety? Remember, even if I get a Kimber to carry off-duty, and get used to using the safety, I still carry a Glock 23 while working. Muscle memory always takes over. If my job would go to Kimber for duty use that would be great, but they will not go for that kind of money.

Do any LEOs carry DAO while working and 1911 off-duty?

HELP.......this is the only reason I have not purchased a Kimber. And I want one BAD.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I personally carry guns with the same safety lever style. It may be possible to overcome and with enough practice you may be unconsciously swiping down on the Glock(where the safety would be) as you draw.
    Also the grip angle is different enough for me , the point of aim between a Glock and 1911 will not work for natural aim. (gripping a Glock I have to adjust down to get on target)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I have, it is an issue but its one that can be worked through.

I still find myself sweeping the "safety" off on my Sigs and Glocks and I only use 1911's now for pin shoots or other games.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I still find myself sweeping the "safety" off on my Sigs and Glocks
    Sixto has about cracked it .......... and I would think that much familiarity and practice with a 1911 platform would soon develop the ''sweep'' - which once ingrained will not IMO prejudice useage of any DAO, DA/SA handgun.

It would tho I think have to be very well rehearsed. I still pretty much always do a sweep having carried a BHP in past but the habit is getting potentially sloppy - so I'd have to do a significant refresh to get that back totally if I returned to 1911 (SA) carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I would think that much familiarity and practice with a 1911 platform would soon develop the ''sweep'' - which once ingrained will not IMO prejudice useage of any DAO, DA/SA handgun.
    It most certainly would.

Most DA/SA handguns have a safety/decocker lever mounted on the slide that engages the safety and decocks the hammer when moved DOWN, the same direction used to make a 1911 ready to fire.

While the 1911's safety is mounted in a lower position atop the frame, the risk of sweeping down and disabling your DA/SA when you need it most is too great for me.

I would never mix a 1911 or similar handgun with a traditional DA/SA handgun for that very reason.

Assistant Administrator
    I started to reply but got interrupted and screwed up! ...... a downsweep on my SIG will only touch the slide release and that ain't gonna be a problem

My SW99 has decocker atop slide - no problem. The Bersa has decocker/safety but if down post decocking no sweep will affect that.

No downsweep surely will affect a Glock family gun.

Only gun I have which could be affected (if cocked) is P95 - but then that is carried decocked (was) ....... and so again a downsweep will not cause trouble. I cannot right now think of a gun (that I have anyways) where this would matter. If a DA/SA is decocked - it can't decock again!
    Chris - P95

Administrator
    I cannot right now think of a gun (that I have anyways) where this would matter. If a DA/SA is decocked - it can't decock again!
    A Beretta 92 or some S&W's, thats about it.

Chris, you have a Bersa dont ya?

With the exception of long guns and 1911's, I dont mix working guns and manual safetys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Chris, you have a Bersa dont ya?
    Yep - .380 (well wife has that now!) and UC9 ....... can't see a downsweep causing either of those a problem. I doubt now I'll go back to 1911 for carry so the problem for me is really moot - but bottom line - I do think a previous DAO shooter can adapt and learn safety use on 1911 platform - providing well practiced - and in most cases not have this screw up a return to DAO.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    If a DA/SA is decocked - it can't decock again!
    You're right. It won't de-cock. It will just go on safe just as you want to shoot.

All S&W, Beretta, and Ruger DA/SA pistols work that way. So does the Walther P38/P1.

Assistant Administrator
    S&W, - OK - not guns I know at all. Beretta, again uncharted waters. But Ruger? Well depends which. P95DC only has decocker at rear - which is why I said a downsweep will do little .. certainly can't decock it again apart from fact that effort needed to move lever is more than a normal 1911 safety sweep needs. NO safety to worry about.

Can't speak for all the other P series variants of course.

Suffice to say - some semi's Ok, some not ---- I have no carry potential guns that cannot accept a normal downsweep troublefree. Anyways as I said - moot point for me these days.
    Chris - P95

Thanks for the replys, guys. I have a friend who has a Kimber. I'll see if I can put some rounds through his at the range and see how it feels for me.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Links