Different Lubes for Different Handguns?

This is a discussion on Different Lubes for Different Handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I've noticed a trend with my handguns: Each seems to "prefer" a different type of lube. Since tuning out the Taurus PT92 a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different Lubes for Different Handguns?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Different Lubes for Different Handguns?

Hello All,

I've noticed a trend with my handguns: Each seems to "prefer" a different type of lube.

Since tuning out the Taurus PT92 a few years ago, it runs best on Gunslick (Anhydrous graphite). My revolvers, both the H&R .22 and my .38spl snub, like light gun oil the best, something along the lines of Remoil or Outers. Finally, my ComBloc PPK clone, the Carpati M95, does best on non-detergent, straight 30 weight motor oil. While sticky, the 30 weight doesn't seem to be a problem as this pistol chews up anything the lube may attract and spits it out. Shooting 100 rounds in a dusty environment isn't a problem at all.

Am I unique in using different lubes for different gun, or even different parts of guns? Or is this becoming standard among shootists?

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Mobile one for everything Light Grease for Rails on all autos with the Mobile one

Assistant Administrator
    I pretty much follow Bud's workings - except, no longer use grease on SIG stainless rails - it goes draggy and nasty - so that is Mobil1 now. Also use Militech1.

Most guns do pretty much get a uniform lube treatment now - apart from 226.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I never really over-thought the situation. Possibly, if I had a degree in engineering, I could find good reasons to be specific with lube, but I just use the same gunk on all of them.

I use militech1 on everything.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Lead Moderator
    Nope same lube for all of em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here's a site that has a section on homemade gun products
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I use the same lubes for all guns. At present I use mostly FP10, but frankly, I am not persuaded that a particular lube is that much better than the rest in spite of the hype.

I grew up using 3 in 1 oil, and then Hoppes and then various others, including Miltec, Rem oil, Mobile 1, GI lube and FP10. I never worry about it. If one has malfunctions it is not the fault of the lube, but just a dirty gun or something else.

There has been a lot of hype, and downright hostility regarding this subject. After well over 50 years of shooting, cleaning and maintaining my guns of all types, I do not believe that a lube will cause your guns to have problems. If so, mine have not realized it. When the old 1911 GI guns went through what they have in the field and kept working, I must conclude that most of the hype is nonsense.

I realize that some lab tests might show some superiority of some lube, but in field conditions it makes little difference regardless of who says otherwise.

I think that Mobile 1 is as good as anything, and a lot cheaper. I personally know some very savvy gun users and at least one smith who prefer it to anything else. If it will work well in a car engine it is good enough for a gun.

Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I pretty much follow Bud's workings - except, no longer use grease on SIG stainless rails - it goes draggy and nasty - so that is Mobil1 now. Also use Militech1.

Most guns do pretty much get a uniform lube treatment now - apart from 226.
    I use gun oil on my 226ST, but also give the rails a light coat of a high Moly concetrate grease (The gunsmith also worked at a moly mine, and added moly to the retail moly grease, doesn't get sticky it seems even in colder temps)

Assistant Administrator
    Colin - glad that works - gotta say tho my experience when my Tetra Grease went ''sticky'' was enough to make me use only oil now.

I was amazed that over not a huge number of rounds the drag on the slide could get bad enough to prejudice std pressure from proper feeding. Slide just missed going back that bit that mattered. +P was OK tho.

Bottom line - I'd rather clean/lube a tad more often using oil now than risk the old problem again!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mobil 1 for everything the stuffs great stays where you need it and doesnt gunk up. I clean with Kroil and #9 mostly but have started to use some of the foaming bore cleaner recently with great success.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I've noticed a trend with my handguns: Each seems to "prefer" a different type of lube.
    I have not noticed a similar tendency. I've yet to find a pistol that doesn't like a good oil and grease. I've previously used the Wilson's UltimaLube oil and grease, on carry pistols. I now use Break Free CLP for cleaning, Militec-1 oil and Militec-1 grease. Any minor differences in how the gun runs with anything else has not been detectable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    Gunslick, breakfree, and grease in different areas usually.

Gunslick and grease doesn't seem to run or dry out as fast here in the desert heat.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I guess I'm just a putz. I use RemOil on everything.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I use Breakfree on everything except a Ruger P-94 I have that has a somewhat loose slide to frame fit. On that I use white lithium grease on the frame rails to make things feel a bit tighter.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links