Considering a J frame

This is a discussion on Considering a J frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i know ive made a million posts on trying to figure out what subcompact 9mm semi auto i want for concealed carry. well a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a J frame

Considering a J frame

well i know ive made a million posts on trying to figure out what subcompact 9mm semi auto i want for concealed carry.
    well a guy at my local shooting range may have changed my mind.
    if heaven forbid i must ever use my gun, most likely it will be at very very close range and getting the gun out in front of me will most likely not be an option, not to mention if the bad guy knows what he is doing, how easily he can keep you from shooting him if you do manage to get it out in front of you and he isnt too far away. in any case, he showed me what he carries and what he practices for in the case that someone wants to rob him or beat him up or he turns a corner and all of a sudden there is a man with a knife to his throat, etc.
    He suggests a S&W .38 j frame with laser. One can 'go for their wallet' in their back pocket begging not to be hurt and that the bad guy can have all his money, and of course instead of your wallet come out with the gun and shoot him right from your hip.
    i really like that idea. and i think i may have to give in to the advantages of the revolver- your not screwed in case there is some kind of misfire or something. etc.
    not to mention they are small and ,much easier to conceal with the curves- which is good as i have very little places to hide anything.
    so what do you all think? is this a better option?
    this would mean that what i carry is not what i usually shoot at the range- a good and a bad thing. and also would mean im gonna buy two guns- i still need my 9mm semiauto for at the range, i probably would just get 1 size bigger for that.

my main concern- iv never actually shot a revolver before, im going to next time im there, but from dry firing them and what i know, the trigger is hard to pull, and i have weak little hands. last problem i want to have to to have to pull out my gun and be too weak, trembly, hurt to pull the trigger.

2. Remove Ads

Here's my 2c worth:

IMO a J-frame snubby is an excellent choice for the average NON leo type person.

If you are just a "gun lover", but are not living or working in an enviornment conducive to daily deadly confrontations I think you will be well served by a quality snubby such as the S&W J-frame.

A quality revolver will not fail (or at least none of mine have over 50 years) at the worse moment, you don't have to worry about whether the safety is on or off, or if there is a round in the chamber, of any of the other considerations pistols require over the more simple, but effective revolver.

Your choice of a Crimson Trace laser gripped J-frame is wise. I have 6 snubbys, only one of which I can hit diddley squat with.. My Airweight Bodyguard w/CT grips is a tackdriver. You'll be hearing concerns about the "battery dying" at a critical moment, or some other failure with the Laser, but I'm here to tell ya that if you will simply change your CT battery yearly, as you do you smoke alarm, you will never have to worry about battery failure.

I have a Crimson Trace Lasergrip on my Sig P239, and my S&W 638.. Both allow this old fart to be much more accurate than I would be otherwise.

Remember you have only 5 rounds, (which statistics show is more than enough in most confrontations) so do your homeword regarding the various 38spec. rounds and load your firearm of choice with quality, dedicated self-defense ammo.

Now just decide whether you want an exposed hammer, a semi-exposed hammer (Bodyguard), or fully enclosed hammer (Centennial)... I do recommend the Airweight version of whichever revolver you buy..

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Here's my stash.

my .02 pick up a 642. If you can rent one at your range I would highly recomend it. Several folks on here carry these and My father just picked one up. Shot it this past weekend and I can certainly seeing this to be an ideal carry piece.

Laserlips you have a great collection there. Would love to have a couple of those that I see.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky

Laserlips you have a great collection there. Would love to have a couple of those that I see.

wareagleky:

Thanks.. I like all of my old snubby's but in truth my heart ticks the fastest when I hold one of the old Colt Cobras.. Just something about them that bring a smile to my face..
    Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    As far as what's best - that's gonna be opinion. From what you say it sounds like a good choice for you at this time.
    I don't have a lot of guns but one I carry sometimes fits what you are talking about. I added Crimson Trace laser grips after getting it.
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

Fits in front or back pocket and no hammer to snag during draw.
    For God, Family and Country!

I also just bought a J frame (642) & did a lot of research on ammo, I decided on Speer gold dot 135gr, you should take a look at this round before deciding on something else.

My backup is a S&W 638. If the trigger is of concern get to know a good gunsmith in your area and he can help a little in that dept.

They are what they are. Some love 'em and some hate 'em. They do take some practice to get good with but that doesn't need to be +P hot loads, just standard .38 range rounds. Do lots of dry firing as well at first. They are easy to conceal and light to carry.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I front pocket carry a S&W model 60 when I need to be tucked in. It's quite comfortable.

I have a taurus for sale if you are interested http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25259

id like to hear what you think about using your ccw piece as your main range piece. i probably shoot 2x per week. is it better i have something separate for that and shoot my ccw piece just every once in a while for practice or that i shoot most often what i carry?
    also what about simply the option of semi auto with laser?

Well, I like my S&W 638 with its limitations for me of being a belly gun and used pretty much for deep concealment. Depending on how many rounds you shoot on a range trip, a j-frame probably won't be the most fired weapon you have. About 50 rounds is all my hand can stand out of it, and that is even with just normal ammo and no +P. With the lightweight frame it kicks a fair bit, and I usually enjoy .357's out of my Rossi snub nose.

My 1911 on the other hand is my main carry piece, and most shot handgun, simply because it is also the one I shoot best, and is really the easiest to shoot for prolonged time because of it's weight.

You should shoot your carry weapon enough to be as profecient as possible with it, although some smaller semi's, like Rohrbaughs, are meant to be shot a little and carried a lot.

For semi auto lasers look into either Crimson Trace, or Lasermax.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Great little firearm. Any J frame will do just fine. But as mentioned you may want to get a hammerless so that you don't snag your clothing.

I currently have a S&W 640 and a 60. Great choice for dumping five rounds COM at close range.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Another snubbie fan here.

Lightweight snub nose revolvers take more practice to master. There are no two ways about it.

I do not need the laser grips. The main reason I shoot and carry revolvers over semi autos is because revolvers (both S&W J and K frames) fit my hand like they were born there and point like an extension of my index finger.

Why is that important? Two words: instinctive (aka point) shooting. I can whip out either of my wheelguns out of concealment and make a very high percentage of one handed shots at 3 to 5 yards without using the sights. Just focusing on the target and letting the hand eye coordination we are born with take over.

If anyone here is an avid wingshooter, you know what I mean.

BTW, I do about 65% of my practice with an all steel 4" Model 65 to reduce wear and tear on the light Model 637. That also keeps the top of my right thumb from turning into a sore, bleeding mess. I do the balance of my trigger time with my actual 95% of the time carry gun (the snubbie) but besides the wear I also have an issue with the cylinder latch on J frames eating up the top of my RH thumb. Not an issue in a fight, but annoying at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    id like to hear what you think about using your ccw piece as your main range piece. i probably shoot 2x per week. is
    it better i have something separate for that and shoot my ccw piece just every once in a while for practice or that i shoot most often what i carry?
    also what about simply the option of semi auto with laser?
    Unquestionably I feel you should practice with your carry gun. How else will you be good with what you carry?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like steel snubbies rather than ultralights. I shot JD's 642 on Friday and DAMN it bucks like my P3AT, even with cowboy loads. On the other hand, I shot my steel Rossi with regular FMJ and it was quite manageable. I'd rather lug the extra weight and have a more controllable gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links