Poly Kahrs

This is a discussion on Poly Kahrs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know alot of members here have Kahrs in their collections and many of them are their polymer framed models. I owned a PM40 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly Kahrs

Poly Kahrs

I know alot of members here have Kahrs in their collections and many of them are their polymer framed models. I owned a PM40 for a while and the frame seemed to not be up to stuff. By that I mean the usual course of shooting the gun seemed to generate excessive wear on the gun. I had alot of polymer shavings inside the gun and the frame rails got chewed up.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or does your Kahr, especially the frame rails, seem to be holding up as well as a Glock or HK? Can anyone give me an explination as to why their frames seem softer?
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Kahr - Like a Box of Chocolates

I carry a Kahr P40 and shoot it regularly. Ive even shot it in half a dozen IPSC matches ... I put 107 rounds through it yesterday. I have never seen a polymer shaving in the gun and the gun is as reliable as my glocks.

That said, it is evident from other posts that Kahr Firearms does not have an effective QA system in place, and lemons frequently make it out the door. For this reason, nobody should EVER buy a used Kahr as it's just too likely that somebody has dumped a lemon.

Glock is polymer and they last forever so this isn't a polymer VS steel thing, it's a QA thing and an engineering thing. Those Kahr's when they work right are great little guns, very concealable, reliable, accurate, and good looking ... but their lemons are souring their good name and I don't see that they are working to improve that.

I heard somewhere that Kahr told a dissatisfied customer that modern materials aren't sufficient to produce the weapon they want to make. Then why doesn't Glock/SA/HK/S&W/Walther ect have the same problem? It's good to hear that someones poly Kahr isn't exhibiting the frame gouging.

I have a CW9 Kahr which is their "cheaper" version and I really like it!
    No problems with shaving plastic or undue wear so far but I have only had it about 4 months and probably somehwere north of 600 rounds thru it so far.

I have a couple of other small 9mm pistols but I can shot the Kahr with the best accuracy.

I would love to have one of the PM9 ( The smaller polymer 9mm) for pocket carry but can't justify the money. (yet )

I bought a PM9, put 50 rounds through it and had massive rail gouging and had shavings as well.

After all of the complaints about this gun that I read after the fact, I decided to get rid of it.

Got an XD9 subcompact and love it.

I know many people out there have great experiences with Kahr, but I am not one of them.

VIP Member
    I haven't had that kind of a problem with my three polymer Kahrs; that said, I've had some malfs with my P45 that need attention from Kahr.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a P9 that I bought used and have had no problems to date while shooting about 25 rounds a month. Having said that, I don't shoot +P rounds through it.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    P9 here with 2000 plus rounds (I stopped counting). No shavings or any problems of any kind. I shoot a mag or two of speer gold dot plus p's every month but mostly Wally World white box. I have noticed that the slide to frame fit seems like it could be a bit looser than when I first bought the gun but I'm not sure.

I really like my gun and it's an ideal CCW.

God Bless
    Gideon

Administrator
    I've had a PM9 for as long as they have been out, I'll tell you thats shavings are the norm and id part of the break in process.
    Maybe the .40 is different, but the PM9 is A-OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

nothing coming out of my TP45...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've never had a problem with shaving in any of my polymer Kahrs - including two PM9s, one P9, and a P40. I would contact Kahr about your problem and have them take a look at it - I understand they have great Customer Service...

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

My problem Kahr has long since been unloaded. My experience with their customer service was decent at best.

I have a P9. Some shavings from the polymer part of the gun, but minute. In over 1500 rounds I have never had an FTF for any reason. This is my carry gun and I trust it completely.

New PM9 a week ago. Put 200 rnds through it. No FTFs. No shavings. No FTEs. Initially a bit tight chambering the first round. Smoothed out nicely early on. My only complaint is it's not as accurate as I hoped. Probably my own fault. Figuring trigger finger issues and not being used to the length of the trigger pull were contributing to inaccuracy, I have seen much improvement from first round to 200th. Had been shooting the 1911 previously, so getting used to DAO has its learning curve.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Apparently Kahr's QC's not that great, which is a shame. I think it's a great gun, light, thin, short, & very good DAO trigger. I've had mine for about a yr. now & it's been flawless, with no polymere shavings, peening or any other problem.

If they had a shorter re-set for follow-up shots, I'd seriously consider the new PM45.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links