New Walther PPK

This is a discussion on New Walther PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a PPK/S and have fed all sorts of cartridges through it. Even some old green yucky bullets that were 20 years old. Fired ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPK

VIP Member
    I have a PPK/S and have fed all sorts of cartridges through it. Even some old green yucky bullets that were 20 years old. Fired and ejected everything I had to put in it. Shoots great also. I prefer my g27 but will carry the PPK when I need something thinner. Recently bought my wife a S&W 642, she likes it and shoots it well, never complained of excess recoil (I never suggested to her that it might be a little extra )
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Switch to Starbucks :)

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Isn't the PPS much bigger though? As in, P99/ Glock 19 sized? I may be thinking of something else as the morning java hasn't kicked in yet but it seems that'd be too big for a pocket gun. Post a link or pic if you can .
    Jack
    http://www.carl-walther.de/dev2/inde...=5&product=846

Look at last sentence it says, "The PPS actually has more power than a Walther PPK, yet with almost identical dimensions."

galleryofguns.com has them listed but none available.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

The profile sort of reminds me of the Steyr "M" Series. Definitely possibilities and might take some of Kahr's business as well as those of us who've been waiting for a single stack Glock 26. Only thing missing is the classic PP style.

I'm planning on building a collection based around the PP and it's clones so the newbie gun will probably get put on the back burner for a good while.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by sailormanCGA72 View Post
    No it's definitely a PPK. I think the PPKs is a little bit larger. I could have waited a few days and the dealer could have ordered a blue, but I spend so much time near salt water environments that the stainless seemed more practical.
    The only diff PPK vs. PPK/S is the stainless. Politzi Pistola Kurtz (forgive my poor German) Police Pistol Short/Stainless.
    The original Walther's are fine weapons.
    The older Interarms - PPK had a shorter beavertail, and I think one other mod was made with the newer model.

The Walther PP was the larger gun.

I loved mine, but traded it because aftermarket accessories i.e. laser grips, are not available due to the differences in the gun as it developed over the years.

No, both the PPK and PPK/S are (or at least were) available in both blue and stainless. Both models have the same barrel length but the PPK has a shorter grip frame, the .380 holding one less round.

The extended beavertail is a recent development of the Walther/S&W partnership.
    Jack

http://www.waltheramerica.com/webapp...3326&training=

The real PPK is not imported, and in fact not even made anymore. The PPK was banned in the whole hullabaloo of "saturday night special" law. Back in like the 80's (don't recall exactly the date) only the PP could continue to be imported. And still is/was. In response to that ban and in partnership with S&W, they made the PPKS. Which has the same grip length as the PP but the shorter slide of the PPK. Walther liked the response to the PPKS so much that they even started making it themselves as well. But it's a hybid of a PP and a PPK.

Unless this is an import prior to that ban date it's a PPKS. Blued or not. Particularly if its a S&W verison it would be. Although you can still run across a used PPK German verison imported prior to that date. But they have become scarce. Those are the "real PPK. Look closely at yours and it should be stamped PPKS. If it is newish. Otherwise it would have to be a pre ban import.

Sponsor
    cphilip;

Your information on how the ppk/s came to be imported into this country is correct sir. I bought my first ppk/s in 78, blued steel.

Thats why I asked the OP if his was not in fact a ppk/s, instead of the ppk.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Well, you're partially correct. Yes, the PPK was banned from import. Had nothing to do with the Saturday Night Special fiasco though, it lacked the import points (same reason Glock can't import their .380 models).

The current partnership between Walther and Smith and Wesson has resulted in the PPK AND PPK/S being manufactured here in the US. Take a look at this detail pic from Walther America. It's the same gun I've got sitting in layaway and, I believe, the same gun Sailorman owns. The rollmark's clear, it says "PPK". The PPK and PPK/S are available in blue and stainless and in .32 and .380.

Here's the stainless PPK/S in .380:

Jack
    Last edited by maclean3; June 25th, 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added pic.

I stand corrected. I owned an Interarms PPK/S for 5 years, always thought the S was for stainless.

Before your next trip I sugest that both you and your wife check out www.corneredcat.com . It will make the task much more productive and enjoyable. The website itself is an illuminating joy to visit.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Well, you're partially correct. Yes, the PPK was banned from import. Had nothing to do with the Saturday Night Special fiasco though, it lacked the import points (same reason Glock can't import their .380 models).
    My bad on the details. But there was a link between the two. The Gun Control Act or 1968 was a second attempt to outlaw Saturday night specials in part. And the way it was written, also caught up some high end guns like the PPK. One of its primary purposes was to catch low end imported guns that were concealable. But it snagged a few high end ones with it's technical jargon.

The current partnership between Walther and Smith and Wesson has resulted in the PPK AND PPK/S being manufactured here in the US. Take a look at this detail pic from Walther America. It's the same gun I've got sitting in layaway and, I believe, the same gun Sailorman owns. The rollmark's clear, it says "PPK". The PPK and PPK/S are available in blue and stainless and in .32 and .380.

Here's the stainless PPK/S in .380:

Jack
    This does appear to be the case. With some changes, and not imported, they have duplicated the PPK both for a tiny while by Interarms (i think) and then S&W.

Forgive me for my rusty memory. I believe you are right on the largest part of that. However... let me ask you this.... how many rounds does the magazine hold? The original frame of the original PPK held only 6 in .380. The original PPK/S came in both SS and Blue and held 7 (IIRC) and had a longer grip frame. And some people claimed the S stood for "Special" but... thats all debatable. Nice little guns either way. I have an older (1965) German Ulm made PP in .32. Would love a PPK as well. I have kept my eyes out for an original ULM made one but they scarce and over my budget range. Might just be tempted to try one of these S&W versions.

"The Gun Control Act or 1968 was a second attempt to outlaw Saturday night specials in part. And the way it was written, also caught up some high end guns like the PPK. One of its primary purposes was to catch low end imported guns that were concealable. But it snagged a few high end ones with it's technical jargon."

That actually makes more sense than anything I've heard about the situation. I never could understand why certain "high end" guns couldn't be imported (PPK, Glock .380s, etc) or the whole reasoning behind the point system in the first place. I appreciate the explanation!

"they have duplicated the PPK both for a tiny while by Interarms (i think) and then S&W."

That's EXACTLY the reason I jumped on the PPK when I saw it and plan to have my dealer order a second one in .32ACP - I don't expect them to be in production for too awfully long so if they're banned again I'll already have mine grandfathered in.

After the .32 PPK, I'm planning on snagging a PPK/S (maybe one of each caliber there as well). Then comes the search for a vintage PP ... and those beauties are mondo expensive!
    Jack

Good post. I too was going to jump in on the PPK/S vs PPK issue. I knew the GCA of 68 was the cause of the ban on importation. It WAS due to the point system assigned and the infamous "drop test" which failed many guns. However as pointed out, this was an importation issue.

If the weapons are made in the US, no such problem exists! Glad to see the PPK back and I may have to take a look at one myself!!

Thanks again for the info!!

I have a vintage (well... if your young enough to consider 65 Vintage! :D ) PP that I really like. I think I am going to take your advice and pick up one of these S&W's though. Because there are so few German PPK's around and the people that have them KNOW it... :(

*correction - I think it might be a 69... which would have its own dirty thoughts implications, but again, My memory fails me at times. I don't have it handy to check.

Here is my PP

Can't tell my wife anything, unless a complete stranger is there to confirm and verify the information. Anyone else experience this ?

A bum off the street corner just happens to have sage advice it seems. I could not possibly know anything.

She nearly fainted last week when the gun shop guy confirmed the information I had given her. I was ACTUALLY right about something.

I let her make her own decisions, so I don't have to hear about how it was my fault she choose, did, or thought X, Y or Z.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links