New Walther PPK

This is a discussion on New Walther PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I went to the range to try out some different handguns for her. The Walther PPK I had picked out for her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPK

New Walther PPK

The wife and I went to the range to try out some different handguns for her. The Walther PPK I had picked out for her had an ejection problem on the third round so she set the gun down and declared it a dead issue. But I decided to shoot a few rounds. What a mistake!

The weapon that malfunctioned in my wife's limp wristed grip performed flawlessly for me. I shot it well, it felt good in my hand, and the rest they say is history. I am now the proud owner of a shiny new stainless PPK, and I still have to get a gun for the Boss. I'm comparing various .38 spec revolvers. What a sweet little gun the PPK is, even if it is a 380.

I'm wondering if I could take her to the range to try out a Kimber? Hmmm.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sailormanCGA72 View Post
    The wife and I went to the range to try out some different handguns for her. The Walther PPK I had picked out for her had an ejection problem on the third round so she set the gun down and declared it a dead issue. But I decided to shoot a few rounds. What a mistake!

The weapon that malfunctioned in my wife's limp wristed grip performed flawlessly for me. I shot it well, it felt good in my hand, and the rest they say is history. I am now the proud owner of a shiny new stainless PPK, and I still have to get a gun for the Boss. I'm comparing various .38 spec revolvers. What a sweet little gun the PPK is, even if it is a 380.

I'm wondering if I could take her to the range to try out a Kimber? Hmmm.
    Expensive game buying guns for her and the letting her see if she likes them, you'll find nearly all here advocate letting her have 100% control over the selection, purchase and conceal method of any new gun.

Send her to the store with one of her mates and see what she brings home, I will bet that she loves it.

VIP Member
    I guess a revolver until she stops limp wristing.
    Get as heavy a .38 as she will carry, otherwise you may have a " it kicks too much issue".

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I think you both would be happier if both went in to find a pistol for her. You can tell her about and show her pros and cons of the ones that you look at but she can tell you if she likes it also. Now that she knows she doesn't like that one she may like another auto much better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    ...you'll find nearly all here advocate letting her have 100% control over the selection, purchase and conceal method of any new gun.
    +1.

Congratulations on the Walther. I certainly like mine!

Congrats on you PPK. They are so cool. Held one last weekend…one of these days.

I wouldn't even think of buying her a gun that she didn't shoot and feel comfortable with. We went to the range with several guns that I had suggested and a couple that the range owner had and let her shoot. She shot a S&W airweight very well, even double action. (She really impressed the range owner). At this point she is going to compare her Rossi to the airweight and choose for herself. I was just trying to suggest a weapon to her that would be easy to conceal and still be comfortable and dependable for her to shoot. Lots of trial and error.

Sponsor
    congrats on the ppk, sure it wasn't a ppk/s?, they'd be the more commonly seen in stainless.

I've had a few over the years, all blued, and older guns that ran great and all were one of the most accurate guns I've experienced/owned.

I think you're going to like it, a lot.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Congrats on the PPK, I've got one sitting in layaway right now myself. There's just something about the design that's always been appealing. Sure it's only a .380 but the specs on Cor-bon and Hydra-Shock are pretty impressive for a pocket sized auto.
    Jack

No it's definitely a PPK. I think the PPKs is a little bit larger. I could have waited a few days and the dealer could have ordered a blue, but I spend so much time near salt water environments that the stainless seemed more practical.

The PPK uses a 6 round mag (as does the original PP), the PPKs uses a 7 round.
    Check out WaltherAmerica for accessories. Mags are a bit expensive but if you got the Walther/S&W then I don't think the original German mags will work.
    http://www.waltheramerica.com/

bae
    I'd buy her a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, and then when she decides she doesn't like *that*, you'll be set :-)

Sig 232

I just went thru a process with my 17 yr old daughter. Her first experience with guns period. She shot the Kimber 22, Ruger 10-22, Smith & Wesson mod. 60 w/38 specials, and my Sig 232.

Hands down she fell in love with the Sig 232.

Understand that this was and has been her only exposure to shooting in her life (her mother is not fond of guns).

With Cor-Bon ammo this is a kick butt weapon that is totally reliable that will do the job quite well for CC.

I considered the PPK/s before I purchased the Sig 232 and have been really happy with my choice.

When my daughter is older and finished with college, I am going to give her the Sig 232.

I may have to have a Sig 239 next.

Was about to get one of these but then I saw the PPS is coming out soon. May pick one of those up for summer CCW on the weekend (i.e. shorts and t-shirt).
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Isn't the PPS much bigger though? As in, P99/ Glock 19 sized? I may be thinking of something else as the morning java hasn't kicked in yet but it seems that'd be too big for a pocket gun. Post a link or pic if you can .
    Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links