239, 2000SK, M&P 9c, or XD?

239, 2000SK, M&P 9c, or XD?

This is a discussion on 239, 2000SK, M&P 9c, or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JUST got my concealed license today! Have small hands, hence no glock on the list. Don't think the PX4 SC will be out by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 239, 2000SK, M&P 9c, or XD?

Question 239, 2000SK, M&P 9c, or XD?

JUST got my concealed license today!

Have small hands, hence no glock on the list.

Don't think the PX4 SC will be out by the time I buy, but looks interesting:

http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...subcompact.cfm

XD-9 SC, and M&P 9 SC are basically the same price.

S&W has a special on the M&P now through July 15th (I think) that provides 2 extra mags for free. $399 for the M&Pc from Buds.

XD fits my hand well as does the SIG 239. Based on reports the other guns should feel pretty good as well.

H&K and SIG are pricey, but maybe worth it as a tool to trust my life with.

Anyone else consider the above weapons? If so- what was your decision process and what did you end up with?

New to this board. Thanks in advance...

Dean

Congratulations on the CHL! That's always a good thing.

Another good one for the list might be the CZ P01 or the CZ 75 D PCR Compact. Either would be a fine choice. I've got a P01 and love it. It's every bit the equivalent quality and reliability of any of the others on your list. Check the link below for a review.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Congratulations! I am a big Sig fan. They work very well for me. They feel great in my hands ( both hands) and they put the bullets where I want them to go. That was the combination I looked for. I have fired guns that felt great, but I just couldnt group with them, and others that grouped well but just felt wrong to me. As long as you are buying quality it can be very subjective.

I had a P01. Want something smaller so I can carry in the 95 degree heat FL offers this time of year.

Congratulations on getting your carry permit.

I own a P239 in 9mm and have an M&P Compact in 9mm on the way this week coming from Buds Gun Shop as well. When I had first started looking into a carry pistol, I was having a hard time deciding between the G26 and the M&Pc. I liked the feel of the M&P better but went with the Glock because I was too impatient to wait for the gun shop to get one in stock. In the end, I got rid of the Glock because it just never felt quite right in my hands. I wish I had saved myself the time and money and just bought the M&Pc in the first place. Just in case you didn't know, S&W is also giving away free range bags as another promotion when you buy any of their guns.

The P239 is another very good choice if you don't mind the added weight and diminished capacity. It is my favorite Sig handgun and I have owned a P226, P229, and P232. I have had absolutely no problems with any of these guns and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone. My P239 handles 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dots with ease and there is very little recoil.

I don't have any experience with the H&Ks or XD line so I can't help you with that. Good luck with your decision.

Dean, first off, welcome to the forum. Of the mentioned models, I have the XD9SC and the M&P9c. I like them both, the M&P9c a little more so. You mentioned small hands... the M&P lineup has the interchangeable palm swells in Small, Medium, and Large. The Small works great for me. Some forum members have found that they shoot better with say the Medium, but use the Small for concealment purposes.

What are the main criteria you are looking at? Polymer? Size? Price? Again with mention of small hands, you may want to consider Springfield's EMP. IIRC, it is an excellent match for those of us with small paws. Granted, it maybe be out of your price range, but can you ever really go wrong with a 1911?

Bottom line? What works for you? What feels comfortable and natural?

No junk in the list you provided, nor in the additional pistols suggested.

But you'll have to be the judge, and that means you'll have to get out and examine them, handle them, and shoot them. Then take a break, sleep on it, and buy the SIG 239.

Sorry. Couldn't resist that. Meant all but the 'buy the SIG' part (though I like mine lots).
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post
    I had a P01. Want something smaller so I can carry in the 95 degree heat FL offers this time of year.
    Uncertain what would, to you, make it more comfortable in 95*.

Smaller, how? Overall dimensions? Thickness? Weight?

If smaller in size, keep in mind that the only dimension in which each of the others listed is smaller than the P01 is length, and with IWB a one-inch difference in length isn't much of a difference. All are roughly the same size, otherwise. Even the "slimline" compact Glocks are not much thinner.

Few compacts short of a KelTec P11, PF9 or a couple of the Glocks are appreciably smaller. But, as you note, the Glocks can be thick for small hands. You can have the grip area "melted" to fit, though. Might be an option.

If you want thin, consider a Browning BDM 9mm. Rarely seen, these made a small splash in the mid-1990's right about when the AWB went into effect. Very slim, fairly light, 15+1. Gunsmiths tend not to like them, as they're a bit of a pain to take completely apart. But they're inexpensive and (I think) well-made. Had one for nearly 40K rounds, which I never should have sold. Have a second one now, which I'm still breaking in.

With the right holster, belt and clothing, carrying IWB on 95* days should not be a problem even with a full-sized 1911.

If you're amenable to pocket carry, the Kahr micro line, the smallest Glocks or a revolver can conceal in a good pocket holster (ie, the Pocket Softy, from Mitch Rosen). That, at least, gets the gun off your hip.

If weight's the issue, stick with something in the <20oz category, which pretty much relegates you to a smaller polymer or a lightweight revolver. Though, again, with the right belt and holster, even a 20oz overall difference should be manageable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sig P239 is an awesome gun. I traded mine to my son who couldn't hit a target a 3 yards with an xd. I like xd's though. Have you tried a Glock 36? they are a single stack .45 acp and thinner than other glocks. I never cared for glocks until i tried a 36, and I love it. Good Luck in you choice.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Congratulations! I am a big Sig fan. They work very well for me. They feel great in my hands ( both hands) and they put the bullets where I want them to go. That was the combination I looked for. I have fired guns that felt great, but I just couldnt group with them, and others that grouped well but just felt wrong to me. As long as you are buying quality it can be very subjective.
    Sigs are just like Glocks, they are boringly reliable which is a very good thing for a combat pistol.

Did I mention that they are accurate too?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Welcome-congrats on your CCW-have you had your nachos at WW?

Find a place that rents the guns you're interested in. Then shoot a whole bunch through them. I have P239s in 9 & 40, 40XD-C and P2000SK 40. The P239 "hides" easier than the XD or P2SK, but it has 2-3 shots less. The grip of the P239 is also more comfortable for ME.

That said, the P2SK 'feels' the lightest and can accommodate my USP-C mags.

Your choice!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Dean - of the weapons you listed, I'd opt for the S&W M&Pc. To my mind it offers the best value, while not sacraficing any performance - in fact, it has higher capacity than any of your other options, but is still compact and lightweight.

I've owned several Sig P239s, and while they're a pleasure to shoot, they're large and HEAVY, with limited capacity.

The XD series just never did anything for me, though I know that many love theirs. Just doesn't fit me for some reason.

The P2000sk is a sweet pistol, but heavy, and the ambidextrous safety levers make it needlessly chunky, IMHO. Lastly, I don't see what it does that justifies its very high price...

Just my opinion, and worth precisely what you paid for it!

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

I don't think I can go wrong with any - as long as I got a good example.

It's nice to get a lot of opinions though.

The EMP looks really nice, but $1k...ouch.

I'm not a tiny guy at 5'10" 210lbs. So, I could probably conceal many guns.

I just want something small because I feel I'd be more prone to take it with me.

Do any of the weapons listed above have an advantage as far as holsters go?

I'm a 5'11" 245.
    I carry a Sig P239 in a Comptac C-TAC and it hides very well, even tucked in a normal T-shirt.
    The weight was not an issue.
    Mine was accurate out of the box.

I believe you should be able to find good holsters for all of the options you have listed.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Lead Moderator
    Try them all if you can. Having said that, and being a bit bias, I'd say go with the SIG 239. I have on in 9mm and think it's great, if you don't 9mm you can get the 357SIG/40S&W model.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links