S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights?

This is a discussion on S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The best reference I have found is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson Second Edition by Jim Supica and Rick Nahas. http://www.armchairgunshow.com/scsw.htm Jim and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights?

VIP Member
    The best reference I have found is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson Second Edition by Jim Supica and Rick Nahas.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/scsw.htm

Jim and Rick have done a very good job in cataloging S&W firearms and other S&W products. There are others out there as well, but Jim and Rick have the biggest and best of the bunch. Yes, there are still errors and anamolies, that are being compiled for a rumored 3rd edition.

Jim's website and catalog are also great sources for rare and hard to find firearms of all manufacturers. He also publishes a periodic catalog called the Old Town Station Dispatch that I would recommend if for no other reason than the great guns he documents in it.

My niche is snubbie S&W N-Frames 3" barrels in particular. So I have collected a few books and documentation on these fairly rare guns. After I relocate I look forward to visiting Jim. I am still the student in this area. I have yet to join the S&W Collectors Association, but will likely do that after my life settles down a little after my move.

Also if you really want the scoop on your S&W go here
    http://customersupport.smith-wesson....istory_request

For a modest fee the S&W Historian, Mr. Roy Jinks, will research your gun by serial number and you will have a history of it. I have done this with most of my N-Frame snubbies.

-Scott-

2. Remove Ads

Thanks Scott
    In the early 80's I've had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Jinks about many Smith guns. I got my first 629 6" in early 1980 from a sporting goods shop where I worked.....the info Roy gave me presented me with knowledge that I had recieved one of the very first 629's produced <I bought it for the price of 335.00 at that time.. (dealer cost)
    LOL.I never thought of asking Roy about this peice, but now I will
    See that LOL..as I get older, my mind begins to go blank geesh
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 1st, 2005 at 07:33 PM.

Dunno if it's the same species, but I thought someone here might be interested:

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...0Custom%20Guns
    "We picked up a few more guns yesterday out of that same estate that we have been selling guns out of for 2 years. The older fellow as a collector and liked our custom guns and therefore had a bunch of them. But he was not a shooter and of all the guns we have picked up from him, maybe 3 have been fired, all the rest are just like he got them. The latest that we picked up were as follows...
    A S&W Backpacker, model 629, 3 inch 44 mag. There were very few made that were actually sold in boxes marked Backpacker. this one goes back to the early to mid 90's and is engraved with a full action job. Appears unfired in the box...$1095"

Thanks for the extra info Scratchy!
    I think we're on to something, as you and Scott keep on hitting the nail on the head.. I also saw one, on GunsAmerica.com , with class B engraving for 2300.00......pretty hefty price. That one was called a "Tactical Competition Special Edition" from the Performance Center. I also took it to Riley's Sport Shop in Hooksett NH, where they all took a peek, and darned if they asked me if I wanted to sell it. I gatiously declined of course
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 1st, 2005 at 08:22 PM.

This won't be 'traditional' engraving-I'm not sure how to describe it(guess I have to take more pix : )) If I can get out early enough I'll trot over and take a looksie.

I took Pug down to Phx a few weeks ago for a holster and grips. She did turn some heads and got some offers.

629-4 4" Mountain Gun is the best one.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I like the Charter Arms Pugs as well........ I almost bought one long ago......looked real nice....... I also found anpother 629 in NC in a forum talking about ankle carry LOL
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/ubb.../766104074/p/1

Assistant Administrator
    CLASS3 - Charters appealed to me too - except over the years I have developed this concern over how fast they seem to shoot lose! Range plinkers to me - as against total carry pieces.

Did someone say 629 Mountain Gun!?? Pity mine has the spider hole tho!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NICEEEEEEEEE peice ya got there!! I handled one at Riley's today, in 4" and it felt lighter than my 3" 44 I like those CT grips

Actually while I like the Mountain Gun design a lot, I've heard a lot of people say they have some pretty fierce felt recoil.

Please say it ain't so!

I think they may have, but only if you reload your own.........I reloaded 265Gr flat points with 23Gr of 2400 powder.with a mag primer.........real hot....but it tore thru trees like a freight train

Assistant Administrator
    CLASS 3 has that nailed. Mag-Tec's thru that gun are not too bad - tho stiff - many cyl's full still a tad less than comfortable. But if homeloads - say 24 grains H110 behind a 250 Keith - well then things get a tad worse!

For a lot of .44 hot stuff shooting - the long tube SRH is the deal - can shoot that all day!
    Chris - P95

You Becha Chris!!
    I was loading for the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch and Super Redhawk a while ago.....23 gr of 2400 with a 265 gr Hornaday FP bullet tore thru trees and what ever else got in the way!! The H110 was SUPER for all the hot loads too. I also used Red Dot for the shorter 44 Mag handloads in the short BBls and light bullets.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh Red Dot - good to hear of another user. Back when I did my long range handgun stuff - 100 and 300 yards in 80's. I gave up on super hot loads, despite most folks always seeming to think ''hot'' = better!! Groups were lousy. (one guy in his .357 BH - ran 180's over a (very) compressed charge of Blue Dot - not at all sure what pressures would have been measured but - it was good he had a strong gun!)

Turned out after much experimenting that my fave Keith 250 SWC sat very happily on 8.5 of Red Dot. Even at 300, with sights dialed in - it was amazing.

Sure- we are talkin' howitzer trajectory but hey - heavy bullet - consistent trajectory. Good results!! It was probably approx a 44 spl type load - ''stout'' but very pleasant.
    Chris - P95

I think I loaded 8.5 to 9.5 gr of Red dot with a 200 Gr HP Mag primer in the 44 Mag, coming out of a 4 inch BBL. I also tried H110 in the same configuration, using the either the Speer, or the Siera Book..it's been so long that I can't remember which book it was, but WOW, what a flash and pretty good recoil! Not bad for a defense load
    The Smiths always seem to come straight back but the Rugers seem to roll upward in your hand when it comes to recoil, but either way.
    LOTSA FUN STUFF!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links