S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights?

S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights?

This is a discussion on S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this at Kittery Maine today for the price of 425.00 I placed it on hold, pending my purchase. I'm a bit bewildered to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up S&W 629-5 3' Fixed Sights?

I found this at Kittery Maine today for the price of 425.00 I placed it on hold, pending my purchase. I'm a bit bewildered to see this gun, a Smith 629-5 3" BBL heavy lug round butt, with FIXED SIGHTS..the gun is VERY tight. I had to take a couple of pics to show you, cuz I've never seen one with fixed sights..I'm thinking of a great carry piece. Has ANYBODY ever seen one of these? I also found a S A XD40 Hi cap gun for 325.00 take a look at the pix and give me your opinions. I want both, but need to place one on a 60 day hold <lay-a-way> as they do it for customers ..I'm leaning heavily on the Smith and placing the other on hold with deposit...
    Thanks to all my friends here
    Bob
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    WOW! Fixed sights - no way would I have expected that. I have a 4" 629-6 but sights are ''usual''. I'd think - for now - that has to be a rare find.

Forget the XD - get that Smith - ya hear!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I can't find anything about the gun...I think it may have been a lew horton special......it really feels good in my hands....it also has a K Frame round butt.....

I'd go for that Smith! That would be the perfect carry gun for every day in that caliber I think. Good price too, and good eye candy!

I'll admit trutfully I do shoot a heck of a lot better with adjustable sights, but I wish they made more guns with fixed sights. They're a lot more rugged and stand up to the real world better.

I found in my research on the 629 I just deposited on that the two best generations of the model seem to be the "-4" and the "-5". Honestly MIM parts don't bother or worry me even though they are soulless and ugly sometimes. The "-5" seems to have all the improvements of the lockwork and I do believe it is also a pre internal lock piece, so it sounds like a winner to me! :thumbup:

I really like the XD too but the XD or something like it will always be there. You can't get another one of those vintage revolvers.

Just for info.......Kittery will SEND you pix of guns you may want to purchase from them.......I'm telling ya...I've been finding weird things up there..I saw a "longhorn Arms SAA LEFT HAND 45 Long Colt there tonight...for 1650.00 SN LH01 I've never seen anything like that 6 shooter. (the loading gate and extractor rod were on the LEFT side for the weapon.and it spun counter clockwise....( or the opposite way a regular revolver would rotate)

Assistant Administrator
    (the loading gate and extractor rod were on the LEFT side for the weapon.and it spun counter clockwise....
    Shucks - that was just a ''Friday night'' gun - the guys were in a hurry to get home for the weekend!

Or - I know - it was photographed in a mirror - yeah that's it ... plus, add a free-spin pawl. There ya go - mystery solved!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Can we get a subforum for threads dealing with people finding various vintage models of the 629? Sure seems like we've started a trend.

I got to handle this gun (the Left hand verson SAA) I handled it as another guy was placing it on Hold at Kittery.....I really have never seen anything like it....it was engraved and in Stainless Steel.with a rounded butt with dark walnut grips......

OK.here's the info on the gun I saw.Texas Longhorn Armshttp://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_175_29/ai_n13466588..Bill Grover
    so seeeeeeeeeeeeeee I wasn't tellin fibs

Hey Euc??
    I'd like to start something like that.....some kind of wierd find guns forum.I'm sure we've all seen odd things out there....BTW....ALL of you have convinced me to grab that 629....I think it would make a nice boat anchor <LOL>
    actually.i think it would be a good catch due to snag free sights lOL...soooooooooo I'm gonna run my widdle butt yup there tomorrw and snag it.... I'm on a roll I think.......

Yeah I'd jump all over that. Truthfully I think I'd have to work harder to shoot that gun well than I would for the one I found, but the fact that that's just such a neat setup makes it a great find.

It kinda remines me of a Smith 58 (41 Mag) in Stainless........
    I just found this gun on Guns america.......http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976461949.htm

VIP Member
    It is a 629 round butt "Classic Carrry" made in 1999. If lock-up is good I would get it. If you aren't going to get it let me know, I'll take it.

-Scott-

I've been wanting a gun just like this for some time.

Thumbs up

Hi Scott
    THANKS for the info on the gun!! Where on Earth did you dig that info up on it? I've been looking all over, and wasn't able to find it.. BTW, I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, should another one surface in my area. I did find a Scandium Smith 44 mag with a 4" BBL at the same place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links