Had to send my Taurus PT140 Pro Back

This is a discussion on Had to send my Taurus PT140 Pro Back within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While at Front Sight last weekend taking the Handgun Skill Builder my Taurus was jamming every time we would do a Type 1 malfunction drill. ...

Thread: Had to send my Taurus PT140 Pro Back

Unhappy Had to send my Taurus PT140 Pro Back

While at Front Sight last weekend taking the Handgun Skill Builder my Taurus was jamming every time we would do a Type 1 malfunction drill. I would have the loaded mag, empty chamber, and action set. Then I point in, press the trigger, CLICK, then tap the mag and rack the slide to the rear. As the slide came forward, the firing pin (?) was still poking out and would rest on the top back of the round it was trying to chamber causing it to jam.

A few people took a look and didn't know what was wrong. Someone suggested to take it apart down to the springs to see if it was gummed up but when I got home I realized I didn't know how to do this and it wasn't the time to figure it out. Since Taurus has the lifetime warranty I decided to just send it back and use my Beretta 90-two the last day.

So I'm thinking either the gun broke or something is gummed up from my shooting it so much. I ALWAYS clean my weapon after I come home from shooting it but not down to the springs. I'd say I put anywhere from 2500-3000 rounds through it since I purchased it brand new. For a gun that I plan on carrying every day and shoot a lot to make sure I'm proficient with it, this kind of sucks. So for all my friends that told me not to get it and to get a Glock, go ahead and say "I told you so!"!

I don't want to badmouth Taurus here as I'm sure they will solve the problem for me but I just don't think I'll want to keep the gun after I get it back. I'm leaning toward getting a Glock 23 or 27.

In the meantime I'm wearing the baggier shirts that I had in my closet and carrying my 90-two. Good thing I've lost about 35 lbs. in the past 6 months!
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kahman View Post
    While at Front Sight last weekend taking the Handgun Skill Builder my Taurus was jamming every time we would do a Type 1 malfunction drill.
    Isn't it supposed to jam when you're doing malfunction drills?

Yea, I guess I created my own Type 4 malfunction!
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

Certainly sucks when a gun you paid good money for goes lame but it can and does happen with every brand on the market, some more than others to be sure but it does happen.

From your description it sounds like the firing pin channel may have gotten clogged with debris or possibly the FP spring is binding but that's just guessing on my part. While it definitely isn't confidence inspiring, if that's in fact the case then at least it isn't a catastrophic mechanical failure (like a KB). When you get it back from Taurus, research the process of detail stripping it and keep an eye on how fouled the FP channel gets during use. Could be you'll just need to squirt a shot of solvent through the channel when you do your post range cleaning.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of ammo have you been using? I use to shoot a lot of S&B ball through my guns back when I could get it cheaply and the red laquer on the primers tended to gunk up the breech face and FP channel of my guns. Easy to clean off at home but messy while shooting.
    Jack

Yea, I'm curious to hear back from Taurus to see what the actual problem is. I'll definitely post it here once I hear from them.

As for ammo, I've used 165 and 180 grain Blazer, UMC, and Winchester for practice and use Winchester Ranger 165 for defense.

Taurus does indeed have a lifetime warranty but they are not fast at doing the work. Possibly because there's not enough staff, possibly due to the volume of repairs, probably a bit of both.

If you haven't sent it yet and are friends with anyone in a gun store ask them if they are in the Taurus/LEO program, then if they can send it in as a LEO BUG, it will be expedited once it arrives for repair.

Don't ask me how I know that one...

Links