Glock 25?

Glock 25?

This is a discussion on Glock 25? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here own a Glock model 25 ? I didn't know it existed until today. But I'm not an expert on them or anything. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 25?

Glock 25?

Does anyone here own a Glock model 25 ? I didn't know it existed until today. But I'm not an expert on them or anything. I've ready they aren't available but does anyone know why?
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

The Glock 25 is the .380 compact version. They are out there, but from what I have seen, it is not a popular chamber of carry. I carry the G19, as I prefer the 9mm version more (cheaper to shoot as well).
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Is the 25 the same size as a 19 or 26?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

BATFE doesn't allow Glock to import the G25 (or the Glock 28, it's other .380 caliber gun) into the United States.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I checked Glock's site & answered my own question.

Apparently they have 2 .380 models, the 25 & 28, which are the same size as the 19 & 26, respectively.

They're also the same weight, so I don't imagine they sell many of them. You would think they would come out with more slim line models to compete with other subcompacts.

If Glock came out with a slimmer, shorter, & lighter 9mm, I'd get rid of my Kahr & carry that.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

They sell alot in europe, something about civies are not allowed to posses firearms in police calibers, so the 9mm is off limits. People buy the .380 version.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Black,

Any reason why? Figured that the .380 caliber would sit well with some shooters. It seems curious that the .380 round would be singled out.

I would be very interested to hear more...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I've had a few glocks in the past. I was just wondering why BATFE would have something against a 380?
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

JT
    Not enough import points to meet BATF standards. One of the criteria has to do with the power of the cartridge. Glock would have to add some other feature to get it enough import points.
    Last edited by JT; June 20th, 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Any reason why? Figured that the .380 caliber would sit well with some shooters. It seems curious that the .380 round would be singled out.
    BATFE has a points system for determining whether a pistol is intended for sporting purposes under the Gun Control Act of 1968. One of the things a gun gets points for is caliber. .380 ACP doesn't provide enough points for the Glock 25 or 28 to be imported.

JT
    Here's an explanation of the point system and how it relates to Glocks...

http://glockfaq.com/models.htm#points
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Thanks! I never knew...
    NRA Member

JT
    Note that the .380 Glocks have two problems with the points system. First there is a 7 point difference due to caliber (for some reason the .380 only gets 3 points, while a 9mm gets 10 points). Next, a handgun gets 5 points for a Locked breech mechanism. Glocks in .380 are blow back.

These 12 points would be almost impossible to make up, when you look at what is left. It would take major changes/additions to get the .380 models up to the minimum of 75 points. By comparison, the G26 just makes it with no points to spare.

Just out of curiosity, what does Glock do in the Smyrna, GA plant? I take it it's not manufacturing? I mean, if they were actually MAKING the .380 guns in GA there wouldn't be any import problems ... sort of like Walther/S&W selling the PPK in .32 and .380.
    Jack

JT
    Smyrna is responsible for various repair, import, marketing, etc functions for the U.S. They also replace the cheap "Click adjustable target sight" (installed in Austria only to get import points) with the standard sights.

I think they make some frames in Smyrna. The OD green frames are made in America. Other than that, I'm not sure if they do any manufacturing there.

I know the Glock slides cannot be manufactured in the U.S. The tenifer process violates our environmental regulations. I’m guessing if Glock really wanted to sell a .380 here, they could import the slides and manufacture everything else here. But given that they have no size advantage over the 9mm models, there would not be much demand.
    Last edited by JT; June 21st, 2007 at 08:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links