Defensive Carry banner

Help me pick a 9mm....

6K views 66 replies 45 participants last post by  PAPACHUCK 
#1 ·
Hi ya'll, since the price of ammo has risen so sharply, I would like to find a 9mm so I can afford to shoot more often. I only have one 9mm and it's a Kel-Tec P11, not exactly something you want to shoot more than a couple of mags through. I have a relatively small budget to work with(no more than 2-300) so here are my choices so far:

New;
HiPoint 9mm......I'd really rather not.
Jimenez, Lorcin, etc......Out of the question.

Used;
S&W 59,69 series
Taurus 92,99, Beretta 92
CZ75, 85, etc.
S&W Sigma
Hi-Power Clone
Ruger P-series
Bersa

Any other suggestions? I want a SA/DA if possible for more precise shooting, and at least a 4" barrel with good sights.

:urla9ub:

See less See more
#4 ·
Skyy 9mm . Some people hate them but I can't get mine to break. Do a search here and you'll find some info.

#8 ·
Look for used CPO sigs, a nice P226 can be had for around 350ish if you know where to look. A used Glock 19 would be a great choice as well.

#14 ·
SOG has used G19s with nightsights for, I believe, $369. Might check CDNN too. Other than that, what about going the layaway route?
Jack

Edit: I completely forgot about Stoeger Cougers. That could be an excellent choice. Also, the CPO Sigs are out there if you can find them.

#9 ·
Of those you listed, the CZ75 would be my choice. Might I suggest, however, if you can afford $300, you can save up the extra $99 and get a brand new S&W M&P with about five magazines (I think they're still running that special...)

Not that there's anything wrong with the CZ, it just sounds like you're "settling" for something - usually a sure recipe for disappointment (at least in my experience).

Regards,

Kevin

#10 ·
Of the ones you listed I would go first with the CZ, then Taurus 92.

A good Hi-power clone (Inglis, quality FEG) is hard to beat. The problem is you don't know if you have a good clone until you shoot it.

#16 ·
Glock G19 will be my first 9mm purchase. Excellent size for carry, capacity, and feel.

Go shoot one for yourself and see what we are talking about.

#19 ·
Ruger's are not a sexy choice in handguns. However, Rugers are overbuilt and inexpensive. They'll probably fall within your price range. I owned one and I regret selling it.

The CZ 82 is the hot gun in military surplus right now. The Caliber is 9mm Makarov, but its a rock solid gun and comes with two 12 rounds mags.

You probably won't find many used CZ 75's around, because they are starting to get noticed in competitive shooting circuits. Rugged gun, hi-cap mags and scary accurate.

#21 ·
I agree with the folks who said Hi-Power. Save your money and get one and you won't ever regret it.

#24 ·
Another one for the CZ here. A buddy of mine has four that have been beat to h..l( very litle finnoish left and three of them apear to have been thrown down gravel driveways a few times) and they still run perfect. He bought them all used. I know he and I have put close to 6,000 rounds through each one over a two year period. None of them hve malfunctioned yet nor has any parts (springs) been replaced yet.

#25 ·
CZ75 is hard to beat. If your hands are large enough, they carry and shoot like a dream. A bit large to carry, unless you don't mind larger guns. But, they handle well, shoot very well, are extremely reliable.

There's a CZ 40P on GunsAmerica.com for $339 listed, right now. Occasionally, you can find a CZ 75 for under $300.

The Browning BDM 9mm is another relatively inexpensive one, though not on your list. I've had two. Roughly shaped like the Hi-Power, it's extremely thin and concealable, though it's a full-sized 9mm. 15+1 capacity. Excellent for the range, but reliable enough to carry every day. Occasionally, you can find these for under $300, though usually the going price is $350-425 or so. My first one was so reliable that the last 10K rounds I shot through it prior to selling had zero cycling issues at all. Zero, in 10K rds. Shot everything, was accurate enough to "paint" smilies on targets at 10yds. Loved it and never should have sold it.

#26 ·
A Beretta 92, if you can find one in your price range. They hold their resale value pretty well. The Beretta 92 series handguns are by far one of the best shooting full size 9mm handguns on the market. High capacity and total reliability. Rent one and shoot it, you'll be sold.:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.