which would you prefer

which would you prefer

This is a discussion on which would you prefer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off let me say this is a wonderful forum and an excellent place for information. Now my question: I am looking for my first ...

which would you prefer

First off let me say this is a wonderful forum and an excellent place for information.
    Now my question: I am looking for my first carry gun and finances are pointing me to a Taurus as the best bang for my buck. I am debating over the 605 model snub nose revolver or the PT 145 small .45. Which would you prefer and why?
    thanks in advance for your help.

JD
    Administrator
    Well you say this is your first carry gun, how much experience do you have with firearms in general?

Seeing as how you asked what "we" prefer, I would go with the automatic, but pending on your back ground, and as you've stated your on a budget, I would go with something with less costly ammo.

Your going to need to spend a great deal of bonding time with your new hand gun, and ammo gets expensive.

I'd go with the Taurus auto, but in 9mm for starters, your going to have to buy not just a firearm, but ammo, holster, spare magazines, mag carrier, and range time. It all adds up.

I prefer an auto over a revolver just for the faster reloading time, although if you practice and practice hard, you can get just as fast reloading a revolver.

Like JD said - I'm not sure I'd want to learn to shoot on the PT145. Good little gun but not a great learning tool. The revolver or a full-size 9mm would be a better starting point.

If you are comfortable shooting handguns then by all means go for the PT145.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

...the others shall enlighten you!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Different brand

If I were in your position, looking for a first carry gun, and knowing what I now know about guns, I would not buy a Taurus but save my money and buy a 9mm of a brand with a better reputation. Taurus guns have a poor reputation for quality, and you should economize in other things but not your one defensive firearm.

If you can afford $400 to $500, you can have your choice of a large number of new and used compact 9mm handguns, and the practice ammo for the 9mm will be a lot cheaper than for the .45 or .357 you are considering. In the long run the more expensive gun and the cheaper ammo will balance out, and you will be a better shooter because of more practice.

As for specific guns, I would look at compact or subcompact 9mm guns from Glock, CZ, or S&W. I have a well used Glock 19 that I bought 10 years ago for $350 that is reliable and accurate. Although I have a few dozen other handguns that cost a lot more and have larger calibers, I can be perfectly happy carrying the G19 with its 15 round magazine and good hollowpoint ammo of my choice. I believe it can handle any situation that might arise.
    Last edited by pogo2; June 21st, 2007 at 03:03 PM.

Welcome aboard!

In the choice of a 605 or a PT145, I say go with the PT145. More capacity, larger round, better sights, easier reload, better trigger, etc.

The only way I would suggest the revolver is if you have never shot before. If you have any experience with handguns at all, go with the auto.

just my .02
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Senior Moderator
    Welcome,

just adding to what JD said, start with a 9mm cheaper ammo (Plus quality Hollow points makes the knock power argument moot) (now I hope I didn't start a caliber war)

I like the 605, you can shoot .38spl or .357mag and it is what I carry when i carry a snubbie.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

thanks all. I was just curious. I have a small ampunt of experience. I know enough to operate and maintain either pistol. I know taurus has a slightly tarnished reputation but I am wary of purchasing a used anything most of the time. Is there any way to be really comfortable in buying one, a used gun I mean.

Senior Moderator
    Taurus has fixed the prblems that cuased their bad rep. But their quality control is not as good as S&W or Ruger, but they do have a lifetime warrenty.

Couple of threads on buying a used gun, do a search you'll find a lot of good advice.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht=buying+guns

I think this is one I'm thinking about.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdogmgk View Post
    I know taurus has a slightly tarnished reputation but I am wary of purchasing a used anything most of the time. Is there any way to be really comfortable in buying one, a used gun I mean.
    There are lots of us that own several Taurus and have no compliants or problems what so ever.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I have a Taurus PT145 & it is a good gun (Mine is, anyways). It's a tad shorter than a Glock 26, a tad thicker & heavier, but 11 rounds of .45. The trigger's not bad, either along with a short re-set.

Having said that, I always steer a new gun person to a revolver. The revolver teaches better trigger control (Although admittedly you can get that with practice), they're simple to operate, very relieable, & make great BUGs when you do decide to get an auto.

I prefer S&W J-frames, the standard that all snubbies are compared against, but that's just me. With your monetary limitations, Taurus isn't bad & they do have a lifetime warranty. You could do worse.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I started out with a CZ 100 in 40, I should have saved the money and bought a Glock. Ever since that first purchase I have made sure that the gun fit me and was what I really needed. That being said I would go to a range that rents guns and give all of the various models a try, and I would try to keep it in 9mm or 45. I know 45 is more expensive but if the gun truly fits your hand and points naturally I think there will be less practicing needed.

If it were me I would go with the snub nose first for several reasons. 1) you can shoot .38 specials which are fairly cheep. 2) a 5 shot snub can be carried no mater what you are wearing. 3) When you get to the point that you get good groupings with a snub nose you will be able to drive tacks with anything else you pick up in the future. 4) if a revolver doesn't go bang you just pull the trigger again and it requires no break in. Weather you know it yet or not this will be the first of more to come, I have 3 different guns I carry in 6 different holsters all strong side. A snub is something you will have forever because it will always be easy to conceal when the others may not.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdogmgk View Post
    First off let me say this is a wonderful forum and an excellent place for information.
    Now my question: I am looking for my first carry gun and finances are pointing me to a Taurus as the best bang for my buck. I am debating over the 605 model snub nose revolver or the PT 145 small .45. Which would you prefer and why?
    thanks in advance for your help.
    I own the pt-145 and have over 2500 rounds through it flawlessly. I love it. I use it as my backup/jogging weapon.

I recommend shooting both first to see which you are comfortable with and of course say .45 over .38 because you should carry the largest caliber that you are comfortable with.

Links