Chip McCormick Mags

Chip McCormick Mags

This is a discussion on Chip McCormick Mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a stock 1911A1 pistol. It's fairly well used, but in good shape. I've installed a few aftermarket parts (extended safety, new hammer, grip ...

Thread: Chip McCormick Mags

Chip McCormick Mags

I have a stock 1911A1 pistol. It's fairly well used, but in good shape. I've installed a few aftermarket parts (extended safety, new hammer, grip safety), but it's mostly original. I also had to put a new slide stop on it because the old one was worn and would pop out under recoil. The new one works fine with most mags, but I have two Chip McCormick mags (one 8-rd. stainless match grade and an 8-rd. shooter grade) that give me some last round feed failures and do not activate the slide stop on the last round. If I disassemble the pistol and insert the mag, it engages the slide stop just fine. However, when shooting, the follower can jump over the slide stop without engaging it. This can happen without a feed failure, or the last round can jam vertically with the case head still down in the mag.

I have another shooter grade McCormick mag that never gives me this problem. Since the problem only occurs with the last round, I would think it's a weak mag spring, but these are new mags. Any ideas?

Start by finding out what the problem is. Take the magazine that works fine and change out one part at a time until you determined which part is causing the malfunction. Then call Armand at Chip McCormick and let him know what's going on. Believe me neither Chip or Armand want a bad piece of equipment out there.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

My McCormick mags function fine, but I replaced the followers in them (mostly with Wilson followers). I use an alloy-framed Kimber, and the old-style McCormick followers are subject to move forward upon slide impact, and can scar the feed ramp. Okay, I've not had this happen, but it's been described by several folks in different forums. I decided to take no chances!

In fairness, I understand the newer McCormick mags have an improved follower that prevents this from happening. Still, I've had zero problems with my modified mags. . .

Ive had to replace a few springs on chip mccormick mags for problems

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have one 8 rounder and two 10 rounders. All have been perfect performers.

Chip McCormick Mags

I noticed that Brownell's has Wilson conversion kits for $6.38 each. Having had two McCormick mags out of three give me this problem, my inclination is to use another brand rather than go to a bunch of trouble getting an "upgraded" or "factory-refurbished" version of a mag I don't trust now.

Sponsored Links