Hot weather and lube

This is a discussion on Hot weather and lube within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I checked my 226 ST carry piece just now - routine check and lube. Found the rails had gotten way drier than I like. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot weather and lube

Assistant Administrator

Hot weather and lube

I checked my 226 ST carry piece just now - routine check and lube. Found the rails had gotten way drier than I like.

I gave up grease because of it causing slide drag over time so stick to Mobil 1 mostly.

I usually do this pretty frequently but had let it slide a bit and with a lotta hot weather it does seem the lube had somewhat disappeared more than usual. It would not have been enough to prejudice function with the +P stuff but - it sure was enough to make me realize I shoulda done it sooner!

I tend to practice most with 228 so carry piece actually gets little shooting itself - easy therefore to let the days drift by and forget the regular checks. Just a reminder to give the carry gun a check often enough - I must be more disciplined on that and make it a regular deal on one specific day - every week.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sort of on topic...I've been hearing (seeing?) you and Bud and some others talk about using a good quality motor oil for lube for a while now. Do you find that the detergent leaves a sticky residue or gums up the parts after the petroleum evaporates/wears/drips away? I have found some of the older gun oils leave a mess after a gun has been in storage for a while.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Agreed.

That ties in nicely with my post from the other night about cleaning guns for no good reason.

I hadn't shot for about two weeks due to illness and so although they were clean I gave them another cleaning.

If we are to rely on them we need to check on them.

I don't plan on cleaning them for no good reason on a regular basis but it sure doesn't hurt to surprise them with a bath...

Assistant Administrator
    Do you find that the detergent leaves a sticky residue or gums up the parts after the petroleum evaporates/wears/drips away?
    John - I don't feel Mobil 1 leaves any significant residue - or Militech 1 either. But in this instance I think the heat I have been carrying in has in a sense ''dried'' the oil quicker.

Viscocity is good but not enough I think to stand long term lack of attention. I like minimalist lubing too so answer is definitely a more frequent check and lube. Crazy to leave it really as it takes about 2 minutes to clear gun - remove slide - wipe and relube and reload.
    Chris - P95

What weight of Mobile 1 do you use?
    Have you experimented with different weights and brands?
    I use Mobile 1 in all my vehicles and in my tractor and found it to be superior to the other synthetics and thinking about it only makes sense to use on guns.

Great reminder Chris! After reading your post, pulled the HK out of the holster and like your Sig, the rails were too dry. I see that I need to watch this closer during this dry/hot summer we are having.

Assistant Administrator
    What weight of Mobile 1 do you use?
    I happen to have 15/50 - but that was mainly cos it's ''what they had'' but in fact I think it's an adequate compromize. IIRC someone else mentioned they had 20/50. Viscocity seems pretty good.

One other oil I had considered was SAE 90 as used for final drives ...... where of course viscocity well up, but as yet have not gotten any to evaluate.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I never have thought about useing motor oil as gun lube.

P95 how liitle do you apply? I'll try it the next time I clean them.

I check the function on my 2 carry guns weekly and the get cleaned once a (well sometimes every other) month after I fire them.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    Most modern motor oils have reached a high degree of sophistication - whether semi or fully synthetic. It'd seem that they maintain long chain molecules better and under higher pressures too.

My lubing is always ''minimalist'' - meaning no flooding messes . I keep Mobil 1 in a Brownells syringe which has a fine tip - so I can apply accurately where wanted. I'll place maybe three equi-spaced drops each side on the rails - refit slide - work back and forth - remove and inspect. This will usually distribute the lube nicely without much surplus - that tho will be wiped off if present once final reassembly complete.

I suggest real minimalist lube to revo folks too - and internals IMO require very little - too much lube anyways is a crud magnet so it's all a compromize really.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Thanks P95,

I learned about too much lube on a revolver a few years ago. I had to disassemble it and clean gunk out of the hand and trigger.

I've got access to syringes I'll try it next time I clean them. I'll just remeber "A little dab will do ya"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hot weather lube

I have good luck with this grease in hot weather, including my "car gun" that gets left in the heat all the time. I use it at the gunshop on rental guns with no problems. I use very tiny amounts of it, and the little can lasts for months. They're local, so I save on shipping, but the service people are nice, I would expect no problems if you order direct.

http://www.x1r.com/sports2.htm

I do good with TW25b and breakfree clp, its always hot in this part of florida, winter time it'll hit 50ish at night, now its in the 80's at night, and just gets hotter as the days get longer.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Sponsor
    One word:

Gunslick

Stays on the gun, doesn't run, doesn't dry out in the heat of the Sonoran Desert in temps that reach 120 [ I know Pa doesn't ever get that hot ].

I've gone to greases and gunslick for the most part due to the heat out here. Oil doesn't last long enough and if there's anything I dislike about cleaning and lubing, it's having to retouch the lube afterwards.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

One thing you guys should realize is that when it comes to synthetic motor oils, Mobil 1 is hardly as "synthetic" as they advertise- read www.bobistheoilguy.com. As for using gear lube, all I have to say is plug your nose! The stuff smells like dead fish and it will stink for days on end.

I still use Militec-1 on everything but have started heating the parts with a hairdryer after applying (and before reassembly), it really does seem to help it "set in" as Militec claims on their website. Since it absorbs and functions as a dry lube, there's not much to rub off on clothes and such.

Still using cheap G.I slide grease on the locking lugs, though I'd like to try some white grease at some point to see if it holds up to Summer heat any better.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links