Any S&W model 457 fans?

This is a discussion on Any S&W model 457 fans? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always liked the model 457. Light weight, and good capacity in a 45. I've been searching for the PC Shorty 45, which I feel ...

Thread: Any S&W model 457 fans?

Any S&W model 457 fans?

I've always liked the model 457. Light weight, and good capacity in a 45. I've been searching for the PC Shorty 45, which I feel is a souped up version of the 457, albeit 3X as expensive. My 4516-3, which is similar in size, gets heavy after a while.

My shop got a beat up police confiscation 457 today. They are asking $325. It appears mechanically sound, and has slight blue wear on the slide. No box, 2 mags.

Anyone carry the 457? What are the pros and cons of this model? Is it an accurate pistol? Thanks for your time, and opinions. Regards 18DAI.

2. Remove Ads

The 457 is a great accurate weapon. I prefer the commander size guns but that's just me.

have had mine for years. never had a problem with it. it is a sleeper.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

When I was commanding a couple of drug task forces I carried a 645 as my primary and a 457 as my backup. When I left that assignment I carried the 457 as my primary for a while. Now that I'm retired I still carry it sometimes.
    I know 2 of our SWAT guys (full time SWAT) a few yrs ago who carried 457 as backups.
    Mine has been 100% reliable and has fed everything I've ever run thru it. If it wasn't I wouldn't have even thought about carrying it. As Swamp Rat said the 457 is a sleeper.

I used to have a 457. It was a sweet pistol, not the best looking one around, but accurate and reliable. And that's all that matters to me when talking about a defensive weapon. If I were to choose to carry a short barrel .45, it would be a 457 over just about any other pistol. There is no tuning. There is no finding a load it "likes." There is no $1000 price tag. It felt great in my hand and was a pretty soft shooter, despite the somewhat high bore axis. Just load the mags and pull the trigger. I never had any problems with it, I just traded it off to get something else I wanted a little more. I kinda miss it, and might hunt for a 457s (Stainless) when I get a little extra mad money.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Carried a S&W 457 for a few years. Figured I wanted something all stainless with smoother edges and corners, so I graduated up to a S&W 4516-2. I liked the 457 just fine except for the reasons I switched. Haven't regretted the change.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I had one for about 5 years and liked it. It fed everything I gave it just fine. Was plenty accurate for concealed carry. Only problem I had was the grip was too wide for my hand. I never felt that I had complete control of it. I went to 1911s but the 457 is a fine pistol.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Well, I picked the 457 up today . It's blue like ispcapt's, not in as nice cosmetic shape, but internally looks like new. The trigger is very smooth, and the pistol feels great. Thanks for the info, and opinions. I'll let y'all know how it shoots. Regards 18DAI.

Links